InkbirdPlus Aquarium Heater is not Really an ‘Inkbird’

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reef Builders

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The InkBirdPlus Aquarium Heater is a heating element with some very interesting features but it doesn’t appear to be anything more than a private labeled product. Coming in at $28.99 for 300 watts this aquarium heater is made with a titanium tube, has a built-in LCD display and an external remote for setting the desired…
Source

Continue reading...

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't read the article yet but an identical looking heater is sold under several names on amazon (vivosun, rubor, and probably more). I don't think this is really surprising for anyone. I have been using the "inkbird" heater and so far it has worked fine in my qt tank.

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looks like Inkbird was giving them away for testing in June of 2021. This suggests to me that InkBird rebranded the Vivosun heater and released it as one of their own products.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looks like Inkbird was giving them away for testing in June of 2021. This suggests to me that InkBird rebranded the Vivosun heater and released it as one of their own products.
They did indeed and I ended up getting one for free in exchange for a review of it. I can say that I liked it enough that I bought a second one since I use 2 heaters in my tank. I don't know who actually manufactures the heaters but I really doubt it's inkbird or vivosun either one.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't really like that it comes on when temp drops 4 degrees below the set point... makes for a large swing in temp.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't really like that it comes on when temp drops 4 degrees below the set point... makes for a large swing in temp.
I didn't have any kind of controller hooked up when I tested mine in my qt tank so I can't track the temps, but anytime I checked temps mine was within a degree or so of the set point. If/when I add them to my display tank the 4 degrees wouldn't be a big deal because I would be using my apex and an inkbird, so it would be the third thermostat. So either I just didn't notice that big of a swing or there is a qc issue so they don't all do it.
I agree though if you want the thermostat on the heater to be the primary control 4 degree swing is too much. I like to keep my swings no more than 1 degree

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 300W one and mine turns on at 1 degree below the set point.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't have any kind of controller hooked up when I tested mine in my qt tank so I can't track the temps, but anytime I checked temps mine was within a degree or so of the set point. If/when I add them to my display tank the 4 degrees wouldn't be a big deal because I would be using my apex and an inkbird, so it would be the third thermostat. So either I just didn't notice that big of a swing or there is a qc issue so they don't all do it.
I agree though if you want the thermostat on the heater to be the primary control 4 degree swing is too much. I like to keep my swings no more than 1 degree
Does your controller somehow force the heater to turn on when it doesn't think it needs to? Only way I see that could work is if you set the heater to a higher temperature than you really want (in this case, I'd prefer a heater without a thermostat).

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your controller somehow force the heater to turn on when it doesn't think it needs to? Only way I see that could work is if you set the heater to a higher temperature than you really want (in this case, I'd prefer a heater without a thermostat).
I just set the heater higher than the temp I want like you described.

The heater having a thermostat even if set higher than you want still adds an extra thermostat IMO in case everything else fails.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back