Innovative Marine 170 INT Planning and eventual Build Thread

ReddingReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefing community.

I have been planning a new tank build for a few months now and figured I would get a build page started. Now to be honest the tank has only recently been ordered and won't be set up for the next few months. But I figured this would still give me opportunities to brain storm with other like minded reefers.

The reason I chose this tank was space available and sale price. I looked at RedSea, Waterbox, etc and while all are amazing tanks, I was constrained to a 5' length but wanted largest volume. The IM 170 footprint was hard to beat at 59"L x30" W and shallow at only 21.7"H. This combined with an aluminum stand and sale price of 40% off, I decided to bite the bullet and ordered Mid December 2022. The tank is a Made to Order and has a 12-16 week lead time. This just so happens to coincide with our new home construction timeline completion.

So with that in mind, I have been slowly piecing together gear for the past several weeks and will continue to look for other pieces until the tank arrives and the new home is complete. My current tank is an IM SR60 AIO tank that I love as well, but really long for the sump and space to put real equipment in. So for now, I have donated all my coral to my cousin in law who is housing them for me until I have the new tank up and running. So the tank is essentially a FOWLR with some softies.

Tank Equipment list:

Tank: IM 170 INT, went INT for the coast to coast overflow.

Stand APS stand, black.

Lighting: I will be doing 4 Radion XR 15 gen 5 blues.

Lighting mount: I want the lights to be floating appearance like Reefdudes peninsula tank. So I am going to be building a custom rack form 80/20 or similar. More pictures to come of planning.

Sump: IM RFS 50 sump (74 gallon capacity)

Return: Vectra M2

Flow: Neptune Wav x 2 on back wall. Likely adding Nero 5 or 3's in the middle. I also have a pair of Ice Cap 2k gyres on my current tank that I will try and incorporate. All flow will be directed from the back wall so to leave the sides clean of equipment and open for viewing.

Skimmer: TBD, Simplicity vs Reef Octo model

Fleece Roller: Planning on Red Sea Mat 500, but the sump won't allow for this in the first chamber, so I'll have to see the sump in person to determine how to best plumb this.

UV: deciding. Will be run off a Reef Octo Varios 2 pump I currently have all with a manifold built off of this.

Controller: Apex Pro with Trident

ATO: Tune Osmolator

Dosing: Versa for Alk/Ca

AWC: Versa

I'm sure there are more that I'm missing but that's the majority of equipment I believe. Now this tank was not originally planned when we started and designed our house (full custom), but once it was framed I decided to upgrade and wife gave the approval. So I was able to incorporate it on a wall around the corner for our wet bar/ coffee bar area. This also allows me to wrap the counter top around the corner to have a work station and built in look. Also allows for cabinet space for the ATO and AWC reservoirs, as well as control board area that is not under the tank. Plus the sink drain is accessible for the AWC.

Well anyway I have rambled enough. I may not actively update this until the tank arrives and I have more picture to show. But until then here are some Sketch up designs of what I want to do. Picture of house and riverfront views included as well.

dji_fly_20221009_111940_102_1665339588853_photo_optimized.JPG IMG_6351.JPG IMG_6407.JPG 69493061736__2429B39B-1532-4938-ADA2-E840CED50613.JPG 69493064073__BF1062EF-4A66-42DE-8F13-0CE73B5361E8.JPG

hebdizzle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered my INT170 in early October and have been checking email constantly waiting for the shipping notification… I have some other similar equipment —- Simplicity 240DC skimmer (used this on a previous build — it’s great); Vectra L2 (basement sump room) and of course the osmolator.

hebdizzle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you find any other INT 170 build threads that inspired you, please PM them to me! Searching for 170 seems to mostly return the Red Sea 170 liter tank.

OP
OP
R

ReddingReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you find any other INT 170 build threads that inspired you, please PM them to me! Searching for 170 seems to mostly return the Red Sea 170 liter tank.
Nice! I am planning on the simplicity skimmer as well as it seems well regarded and is more cost effective.

Totally agree there needs to be more IM 170 INT build threads. All searches show the EXT or Red Sea 170 tanks.

Let me know when you get your tank! I’m hoping mine doesn’t show up until my house is down since this is where I put the delivery address haha

hebdizzle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m at 17 1/2 weeks and the tank hasn’t shipped yet, their quote when I ordered was 12-16 weeks. Their website currently says 4-6 months for new orders to be shipped.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefing community.

I have been planning a new tank build for a few months now and figured I would get a build page started. Now to be honest the tank has only recently been ordered and won't be set up for the next few months. But I figured this would still give me opportunities to brain storm with other like minded reefers.

The reason I chose this tank was space available and sale price. I looked at RedSea, Waterbox, etc and while all are amazing tanks, I was constrained to a 5' length but wanted largest volume. The IM 170 footprint was hard to beat at 59"L x30" W and shallow at only 21.7"H. This combined with an aluminum stand and sale price of 40% off, I decided to bite the bullet and ordered Mid December 2022. The tank is a Made to Order and has a 12-16 week lead time. This just so happens to coincide with our new home construction timeline completion.

So with that in mind, I have been slowly piecing together gear for the past several weeks and will continue to look for other pieces until the tank arrives and the new home is complete. My current tank is an IM SR60 AIO tank that I love as well, but really long for the sump and space to put real equipment in. So for now, I have donated all my coral to my cousin in law who is housing them for me until I have the new tank up and running. So the tank is essentially a FOWLR with some softies.

Tank Equipment list:

Tank: IM 170 INT, went INT for the coast to coast overflow.

Stand APS stand, black.

Lighting: I will be doing 4 Radion XR 15 gen 5 blues.

Lighting mount: I want the lights to be floating appearance like Reefdudes peninsula tank. So I am going to be building a custom rack form 80/20 or similar. More pictures to come of planning.

Sump: IM RFS 50 sump (74 gallon capacity)

Return: Vectra M2

Flow: Neptune Wav x 2 on back wall. Likely adding Nero 5 or 3's in the middle. I also have a pair of Ice Cap 2k gyres on my current tank that I will try and incorporate. All flow will be directed from the back wall so to leave the sides clean of equipment and open for viewing.

Skimmer: TBD, Simplicity vs Reef Octo model

Fleece Roller: Planning on Red Sea Mat 500, but the sump won't allow for this in the first chamber, so I'll have to see the sump in person to determine how to best plumb this.

UV: deciding. Will be run off a Reef Octo Varios 2 pump I currently have all with a manifold built off of this.

Controller: Apex Pro with Trident

ATO: Tune Osmolator

Dosing: Versa for Alk/Ca

AWC: Versa

I'm sure there are more that I'm missing but that's the majority of equipment I believe. Now this tank was not originally planned when we started and designed our house (full custom), but once it was framed I decided to upgrade and wife gave the approval. So I was able to incorporate it on a wall around the corner for our wet bar/ coffee bar area. This also allows me to wrap the counter top around the corner to have a work station and built in look. Also allows for cabinet space for the ATO and AWC reservoirs, as well as control board area that is not under the tank. Plus the sink drain is accessible for the AWC.

Well anyway I have rambled enough. I may not actively update this until the tank arrives and I have more picture to show. But until then here are some Sketch up designs of what I want to do. Picture of house and riverfront views included as well.

dji_fly_20221009_111940_102_1665339588853_photo_optimized.JPG IMG_6351.JPG IMG_6407.JPG 69493061736__2429B39B-1532-4938-ADA2-E840CED50613.JPG 69493064073__BF1062EF-4A66-42DE-8F13-0CE73B5361E8.JPG
That is going to be a great build, Can't wait to see it!!

Reeferbob420

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was about to buy the exact same tank. But now on the IM website, you can only purchase their tanks with the sump and a pump. I really dont wanna use their sump cuz theres no room for a fleece roller. What do u plan to do? I jus dont want to use filter socks

OP
OP
R

ReddingReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was about to buy the exact same tank. But now on the IM website, you can only purchase their tanks with the sump and a pump. I really dont wanna use their sump cuz theres no room for a fleece roller. What do u plan to do? I jus dont want to use filter socks
I plan on using a Red Sea Reef Mat, as you Can plumb the flexible pipe to the main drain, even though the unit will be in the first large chamber. I don’t intend on using the filter sock area.

also once I have the tank, I’ll look into the sump and see if removing the first section of the filter sock is an option.

OP
OP
R

ReddingReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I got it early March but due to life I haven’t gotten it up and running yet!
Nice! Mine got delivered yesterday. But will be a month or so before I start really working on it as well.

Attachments

• 55B69D92-A947-4FEB-ABB9-E61623D8A8A5.jpeg
    55B69D92-A947-4FEB-ABB9-E61623D8A8A5.jpeg
    188.7 KB · Views: 76
  • EA7917C7-0C20-447B-905D-2FF61C6F6331.jpeg
    EA7917C7-0C20-447B-905D-2FF61C6F6331.jpeg
    190.8 KB · Views: 95
OP
OP
R

ReddingReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interval update:

Stand and sump in place. Need to figure out how to move the tank into final location and then start building/ plumbing it in.

Some pictures of the stand and cabinets that will store the equipment and top off containers. Next to this cabinet is also my bar area which has a sink, so I’m planning on plumbing in a drain line to the sink for auto water changes to be run off of the Versa pumps.

Sump is the IM sump. It’s 50 gallon capacity I believe. Quite large but very roomy for equipment. Looks loaded with features such as dosing line holders etc.

Attachments

• IMG_7267.jpeg
    IMG_7267.jpeg
    174.3 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_7268.jpeg
    IMG_7268.jpeg
    136.5 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_7269.jpeg
    IMG_7269.jpeg
    202.7 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_7270.jpeg
    IMG_7270.jpeg
    192.5 KB · Views: 93
OP
OP
R

ReddingReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is in place! Leveled in all directions. Ready for lighting and plumbing build now. Then control board and equipment.

Attachments

• IMG_7310.JPG
    IMG_7310.JPG
    164.7 KB · Views: 112
OP
OP
R

ReddingReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rough plumbing done. Going with an orange PVC and grey fitting to match Apex gear. Waiting for the 80/20 racks to build lights so I can move the tank back towards the wall more and then once plumbing is done, I can get it wet.

In the meantime, I have some E-marco mortars and 40-50lbs of rock that I'm going to start working on an aquaspace design.

Attachments

• IMG_7384.JPG
    IMG_7384.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 102

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back