Innovative Marine 200-gallon INT Build

VikS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I have a question. I have the option of either getting live rock or Marco ReefSaver shelf rock. The liverock is cheaper than the shelf rock... so I don't know if it's even worth getting dry rock anymore. I would appreciate some suggestions thanks.
Main consideration will be pest control. A lot of people start from dry only and seed it to avoid introducing unwanted pests.
If you are not worried about that, go with all live.

Ome more reason for using those shelf rocks is to be able toaquascape in the way you want and create your own structures. I assume this is not as easy with live rocks.

OP
OP
Mr. Fishy Fish

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Main consideration will be pest control. A lot of people start from dry only and seed it to avoid introducing unwanted pests.
If you are not worried about that, go with all live.

Ome more reason for using those shelf rocks is to be able toaquascape in the way you want and create your own structures. I assume this is not as easy with live rocks.

Lol, point 2 is what I'm worried about. I have a dream, ya know! The only hitchhiker I'd be worried about is Aiptasia. Thanks, I'll think about it and let everyone know.

OP
OP
Mr. Fishy Fish

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a pic of the stand after I put it together.

thumbnail_IMG_0529.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mr. Fishy Fish

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. What’s the situation with the bottom. I heard it’s a false bottom and not water proof and people trying to figure out what to do about it.

I was unaware of that. I'm not sure what you mean by "false bottom", what should I be looking for? I can take pics of the bottom if you'd like.

VikS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was unaware of that. I'm not sure what you mean by "false bottom", what should I be looking for? I can take pics of the bottom if you'd like.
I just read that the bottom is a plyboard just sitting there and folks did not feel comfortable putting their sump on it. There were also couple of post where people reinforced the bottom with 2x4 and sealed it before putting their sump on it. Not sure it that is still true with these bigger tank stands.

OP
OP
Mr. Fishy Fish

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read that the bottom is a plyboard just sitting there and folks did not feel comfortable putting their sump on it. There were also couple of post where people reinforced the bottom with 2x4 and sealed it before putting their sump on it. Not sure it that is still true with these bigger tank stands.

I don't know what the material is, but it's definitely flimsy. However, the bracing is directly under it to support any sump I put in. The only way that thing (the plyboard as you called it) will not hold is if I put something in between the bracing instead of on them. I can see how it would be a concern to some people, but honestly, a piece of plywood under it would negate any concern they may have. You'll see what I mean when you get your Nuvo. That reminds me, what's up with your Nuvo?

VikS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what the material is, but it's definitely flimsy. However, the bracing is directly under it to support any sump I put in. The only way that thing (the plyboard as you called it) will not hold is if I put something in between the bracing instead of on them. I can see how it would be a concern to some people, but honestly, a piece of plywood under it would negate any concern they may have. You'll see what I mean when you get your Nuvo. That reminds me, what's up with your Nuvo?
Sounds good. That seems easy.
I have a mid Nov ship date unfortunately. So patiently waiting and preparing the house for it. I am in no rush and am enjoying all the IM builds. Keep the updates coming!

OP
OP
Mr. Fishy Fish

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After going through hell to get a company to move the tank, I finally found a company who knew exactly how to deal with the situation. All it took was two strong guys, one-shoulder dolly, and now the tank is officially on the stand. I still need to sanitize (vinegar) and sterilize (let it sit for 72 hours post sanitization) the tank, so excuse me if it looks a little messy. Here's a pic.

IMG_0542.jpg

VikS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After going through hell to get a company to move the tank, I finally found a company who knew exactly how to deal with the situation. All it took was two strong guys, one-shoulder dolly, and now the tank is officially on the stand. I still need to sanitize (vinegar) and sterilize (let it sit for 72 hours post sanitization) the tank, so excuse me if it looks a little messy. Here's a pic.

IMG_0542.jpg
Look good! Looking forward to seeing it filled up and lit! Are you done with the aquascape?

OP
OP
Mr. Fishy Fish

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 6.0
  1. I will complete the plumbing in the next 24 hours.​
  2. The baffles for the sump will be ready tomorrow, so I should finish the sump in approximately 48 hours.​
  3. I have my first fish in QT the video is below. More details in my QT thread (the link is in my signature).

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 53 55.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back