Innovative Marine 200-gallon INT Build

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a pic of the stand after I put it together.

thumbnail_IMG_0529.jpg
Awesome looking stand!!!

OP
OP
Mr. Fishy Fish

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got the same tank . . . just setting it up. curious to see what you do with your plumbing!
Hey, I completed the plumbing the other day. I was planning to take pictures of the plumbing after Installing the baffles in the sump. However, I'll make a video for your reference now. And here it is (sorry if it's sloppy):

Awesome looking stand!!!

Thanks Bill, it was definitely worth the money, I absolutely love the IM aquarium and stand. I'm glad I spent more money and bought this instead of one of the used aquariums I was looking at before.

Side note to everyone following along: I know I said I would complete the sump in 48 hours but Home Depot didn't have the silicone I wanted to use, so I had to order some online (arrives on the 22nd). There was a delay in my dry rock order (annoying), so I can't move forward with the aquascape without it. Another thing to note is I decided to only use a 75 gallon for the sump since I need the space for future equipment and a top-off reservoir which I will most likely be building myself. Also, I'm going to get 40 lbs of live rock that I'll quarantine just to promote Coraline algae growth on the dry rock.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HOLD UP!!! Already having your tank and stand, that means you will have your tank wet far earlier than me. :(

LOL!!! Just kidding. I can't wait to see it wet.;Happy

OP
OP
Mr. Fishy Fish

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HOLD UP!!! Already having your tank and stand, that means you will have your tank wet far earlier than me. :(

LOL!!! Just kidding. I can't wait to see it wet.;Happy

At least you'll have all the bacteria, fish, and corals from your old system :rolleyes: . I'm going to wait a year before I add sticks, and let's not forget those grueling months of quarantine. Speaking of quarantine, I started using Humblefish's Hybrid TTM and I have to say it's definitely worth considering for your future additions. It seems to put less stress on fishes than the common treatment plans (pure speculation on my part).

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least you'll have all the bacteria, fish, and corals from your old system :rolleyes: . I'm going to wait a year before I add sticks, and let's not forget those grueling months of quarantine. Speaking of quarantine, I started using Humblefish's Hybrid TTM and I have to say it's definitely worth considering for your future additions. It seems to put less stress on fishes than the common treatment plans (pure speculation on my part).
It will be several months before I start to add sticks. I am giving away my sticks that I have in my tank to a friend, and the fish I will keep. I will keep my LPS as they are high end and they are more forgiving in a newer tank. I am setting up a 40b with live rock for the LPS and I will try to keep a few SPS, but whether or not they survive will be determined. As far as fish additions and QT'ing, I am cheating, LOL!!! I am paying a friend that I trust more than Humble to QT my fish. I have bad luck with wrasses, and I plan on having several, 2 or 3 are high priced wrasses. I am going with some live rock in the tank and sump as I want to speed it up, and with Macna 2021, if it happens, being in my backyard, I am not limited to buying as I can bring the frags back to my house daily. Macna in your backyard is not a good option, money wise, LOL!!! I am not transferring my rock from my current tank because the are loaded with vermited snails.

OP
OP
Mr. Fishy Fish

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be several months before I start to add sticks. I am giving away my sticks that I have in my tank to a friend, and the fish I will keep. I will keep my LPS as they are high end and they are more forgiving in a newer tank. I am setting up a 40b with live rock for the LPS and I will try to keep a few SPS, but whether or not they survive will be determined.

That sucks for you, but I bet your buddy had the biggest smile on his face when he found out he's getting your sticks. Come move next to me, I'll become your new buddy haha. I think with your experience you'll be fine putting LPS in early. If they die, what can you do? It just gives you a reason to buy even better LPS corals lol!

As far as fish additions and QT'ing, I am cheating, LOL!!! I am paying a friend that I trust more than Humble to QT my fish. I have bad luck with wrasses, and I plan on having several, 2 or 3 are high priced wrasses.

LOL! Talk about a shortcut. I bet the conversation went something like this "take my money, just save me time and grieving". It's all worth it for the wrasses though. Which expensive ones are you planning to get btw? I saw your wrasse list before, but I don't recall seeing the expensive ones on the list.

I am going with some live rock in the tank and sump as I want to speed it up, and with Macna 2021, if it happens, being in my backyard, I am not limited to buying as I can bring the frags back to my house daily. Macna in your backyard is not a good option, money wise, LOL!!!

Lucky you, the one thing I hate about Canada is that we don't have events like that often. If we do, they're 400 KM away from me sadly :(. Also, screw money, corals are always better :cool: .

I am not transferring my rock from my current tank because the are loaded with vermited snails.

Oh okay, that makes sense. Have you considered bleaching the rock to kill them, then adding the dry rock to your 220? Or perhaps eradicating them once you've moved all the livestock?

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks for you, but I bet your buddy had the biggest smile on his face when he found out he's getting your sticks. Come move next to me, I'll become your new buddy haha. I think with your experience you'll be fine putting LPS in early. If they die, what can you do? It just gives you a reason to buy even better LPS corals lol!

LOL! Talk about a shortcut. I bet the conversation went something like this "take my money, just save me time and grieving". It's all worth it for the wrasses though. Which expensive ones are you planning to get btw? I saw your wrasse list before, but I don't recall seeing the expensive ones on the list.

Lucky you, the one thing I hate about Canada is that we don't have events like that often. If we do, they're 400 KM away from me sadly :(. Also, screw money, corals are always better :cool: .

Oh okay, that makes sense. Have you considered bleaching the rock to kill them, then adding the dry rock to your 220? Or perhaps eradicating them once you've moved all the livestock?
Sorry, but I am probably 3000 miles form you, LOL!!! My friend actually like the science of QT'ing, so it makes it easy. This is my wrasse list:

Eight Line Flasher wrasse
Lunate Fairy wrasse
Lineatus Fairy wrasse
Pintail Fairy wrasse
Rhomboid Fairy wrasse
Blue Flasher wrasse
Ornate or Meleagris wrasse

The Lineatus, Lunate, Eight Line, and Rhomboid can be expensive. I will either go with large males, or supermales if available. I guess expensive can be relative, considering the amount of money I am spending on this tank upgrade, LOL!!! ;Hilarious

I wanted to go a different route with the rock. I liked the look of the Marco shelf rock, but I added the actual live rock as I already went thru a Dino outbreak once and don't feel like going thru it again. Dry rock may be free of pest, but it comes with a catch, the strong possibility of Dino's.

OP
OP
Mr. Fishy Fish

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, but I am probably 3000 miles form you, LOL!!! My friend actually like the science of QT'ing, so it makes it easy. This is my wrasse list:

Eight Line Flasher wrasse
Lunate Fairy wrasse
Lineatus Fairy wrasse
Pintail Fairy wrasse
Rhomboid Fairy wrasse
Blue Flasher wrasse
Ornate or Meleagris wrasse

The Lineatus, Lunate, Eight Line, and Rhomboid can be expensive. I will either go with large males, or supermales if available. I guess expensive can be relative, considering the amount of money I am spending on this tank upgrade, LOL!!! ;Hilarious

I wanted to go a different route with the rock. I liked the look of the Marco shelf rock, but I added the actual live rock as I already went thru a Dino outbreak once and don't feel like going thru it again. Dry rock may be free of pest, but it comes with a catch, the strong possibility of Dino's.

I like that wrasse list, I personally think the Meleagris is nicer than the ornate leopard wrasse, especially when they're juveniles. Also, I think the following wrasse would be a great addition to your list (I mean if you're willing to add more xD).
Also, I feel you on how expensive large builds are, it's crazy how far above my budget I went (all worth it). How far did you go over your planned budget? I went 3k over, and that number is still rising ;Nailbiting

Regarding Dinos, isn't a UV sterilizer the best solution for them? I mean that's if you already have one. I really wanted shelf rock at first but I went for regular dry rock instead. I want to build tunnels throughout my rock work to give the fish as much hiding places as possible and that would be hard to do with shelf rock. Btw, are you planning to quarantine the live rock?

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that wrasse list, I personally think the Meleagris is nicer than the ornate leopard wrasse, especially when they're juveniles. Also, I think the following wrasse would be a great addition to your list (I mean if you're willing to add more xD).
Also, I feel you on how expensive large builds are, it's crazy how far above my budget I went (all worth it). How far did you go over your planned budget? I went 3k over, and that number is still rising ;Nailbiting

Regarding Dinos, isn't a UV sterilizer the best solution for them? I mean that's if you already have one. I really wanted shelf rock at first but I went for regular dry rock instead. I want to build tunnels throughout my rock work to give the fish as much hiding places as possible and that would be hard to do with shelf rock. Btw, are you planning to quarantine the live rock?
That wrasse is gorgeous, :eek:, I may need to add that. As far as Dinos, I would rather not have to deal with them to begin with. A UV sterilizer works, but, it only works if you have a strain that is in the water column. I talked with a very well respected member here, as we are local to each other, and we both agree that the sudden rise in Dino's is due to the rise in use of dry rock. Dry rock has one major disadvantage, lack of algae. It allows Dino's to take root before the algae has a chance to coat the rock. Plus, live rock allows you to speed up the process to sps. The diversity of bacteria is second to none.

OP
OP
Mr. Fishy Fish

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That wrasse is gorgeous, :eek:, I may need to add that. As far as Dinos, I would rather not have to deal with them to begin with. A UV sterilizer works, but, it only works if you have a strain that is in the water column. I talked with a very well respected member here, as we are local to each other, and we both agree that the sudden rise in Dino's is due to the rise in use of dry rock. Dry rock has one major disadvantage, lack of algae. It allows Dino's to take root before the algae has a chance to coat the rock. Plus, live rock allows you to speed up the process to sps. The diversity of bacteria is second to none.

I know right, the dusky wrasse is a must-have for me. Thanks for letting me know about the dinos, this makes me much more confident in adding live rock now :cool: . I completely forgot that I'll be able to add SPS earlier because of the live rock. Now I need to rethink my timelines ;Dead.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know right, the dusky wrasse is a must-have for me. Thanks for letting me know about the dinos, this makes me much more confident in adding live rock now :cool: . I completely forgot that I'll be able to add SPS earlier because of the live rock. Now I need to rethink my timelines ;Dead.
Unless you are adding 100 percent live rock, it is still a possibility, but I feel its a much smaller possibility as the live rock will speed things up. Live rock is second to none, no question. Talking with a ole time reefer friend, Dino's almost didn't exist in the past when live rock was easily obtainable.

My wrasse list is pretty set, but who knows, LOL!!!

OP
OP
Mr. Fishy Fish

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you are adding 100 percent live rock, it is still a possibility, but I feel its a much smaller possibility as the live rock will speed things up. Live rock is second to none, no question. Talking with a ole time reefer friend, Dino's almost didn't exist in the past when live rock was easily obtainable.

My wrasse list is pretty set, but who knows, LOL!!!

I'm assuming approximately 1 week later, I'll get the following notification Bill posts "I'm adding the following wrasses......" xD. Your tank is going to be so active with all the tangs and wrasses, I'm a bit jealous. The sticks are going to love it as well, they just can't get enough of all that fish poop. Btw, are you planning to add any anthias or other species?

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming approximately 1 week later, I'll get the following notification Bill posts "I'm adding the following wrasses......" xD. Your tank is going to be so active with all the tangs and wrasses, I'm a bit jealous. The sticks are going to love it as well, they just can't get enough of all that fish poop. Btw, are you planning to add any anthias or other species?
I have 4 Blue/Green Chromis that I will put in the new tank. I had a Pintail Fairy wrasse, but it just passed. :(

I am thinking of adding 3 or 4 Blue Atlantic Chromis also, but we will see.

Besides, this is your build thread, we need to talk about your additions to your tank.

OP
OP
Mr. Fishy Fish

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides, this is your build thread, we need to talk about your additions to your tank.

You have a point, haha. Here's the latest fish list.

Fish I'm Adding For Sure:
  1. Yellow tang (Zebrasoma flavescens)
  2. Blue Hippo tang (Paracanthurus hepatus)
  3. Tomini tang (Ctenochaetus tominiensis)
  4. Clowns (long-fin and Picasso)
  5. Blue throat triggerfish pair (Xanthichthys auromarginatus)
  6. Diamond goby pair (Valenciennea puellaris)
  7. Magnificent Foxface (Siganus magnificus)
  8. Tailspot Blenny (Ecsenius stigmatura)
  9. Neon Goby pair (Elacatinus oceanops)
  10. Black leopard wrasse (Macropharyngodon negrosensis)
  11. Yellow wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus)
  12. Radiant wrasse (Halichoeres iridis)
  13. Dusky Wrasse (Halichoeres annularis)
  14. Red-lined wrasse (Halichoeres biocellatus)
  15. Melanurus wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus)
  16. Black-backed wrasse (Anampses neoguinaicus)
  17. McCosker's flasher wrasse (Paracheilinus mccoskeri)
  18. Ruby long fin fairy wrasse (Cirrhilabrus rubeus)
Fish I may Add:
  • Bella Gobies IFF the diamond gobies aren't getting the job done.
  • Six or Seven Anthias IFF my protein skimmer needs a bigger bio-load to function properly.

I currently have the clowns in QT (apparently they were a pair for a year before I bought them), but I had to separate them because the longfin decided the Picasso was no longer appealing to her. Here are two videos, one before I separated them and one after.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of a Black Leopard wrasse as well. Gorgeous wrasse to say the least.

OP
OP
Mr. Fishy Fish

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of a Black Leopard wrasse as well. Gorgeous wrasse to say the least.
They're gorgeous fish, I don't see why you couldn't. Your tank is big enough and you have the filtration to add more fish. Plus, they sleep in the sand, so they shouldn't bother with another fish's territory within the rockwork (assumption). lol, I don't know why I want you to add more wrasses haha. It's as if I'm viewing your tank as mine. It just shows how hobbyists care about another's tank, sometimes to a fault ;Writing.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back