Innovative Marine 40L AIO - New Reefer Build

Nick711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May 2023 EDIT: This thread may be closed. I opted to go with the EXT rather than AIO. Feel free to follow along in my other build thread. Thanks!

Hello all -
New to R2R, but have been lurking for some time. About 10 years ago, I had a 30g SW fish & inverts tank, but never had a chance to start a reef tank. My plan is to take this build / process relatively slow as highlighted throughout the below. Always open to feedback / suggestions!

Here is my current build plan:

Tank - IM Fusion Pro 2 NUVO AIO 40L
Stand - IM White APS
Return - MightyJet 538 GPH
Skimmer - Bubble Magus MiniQ
Lights - (2) AI Prime 16HD with 12” mounts
Power Heads - (2) Tunze Turbelle Nanosteam 6040
Heater - (2) 100W IM Helio Smart PTC w. Controller
UV - N/A (for now - will consider adding one if needed)
Filtration - IM media basket / InTank - bio balls, Chemipure / Carbon / GFO (as needed), fiber balls / floss TBD (not sure if I will use filter sock that comes with tank)
ATO - Duetto Dual Sensor ATO / Trigger Systems 5g res.
Rocks - 40lb Dry CaribSea South Sea
Sand - ~40lb Arag special grade dry (will rinse tap & rodi)
Testing - combo of Hanna, Tropic Marin, Salifert for most elements
RODI - AquaticLife 4-stage 100gpd + Smart Buddie booster pump

Livestock (long way from here, so haven’t given it too much thought):
(2) clowns (breed TBD)
(1) longnose hawkfish
(1-2) TBD… Blenny or captive Mandarin or Goby or ..?
CUC - snails, hermits, peppermint shrimp, copepods, etc.
Coral - TBD, but all of the beginner variety

I’m also weighing options for building good bacteria within rocks / sand (IPSF, Aquabiomics, etc.)

A few questions I have been contemplating:

1. Any reason to not add bio-balls to my cycle? I figured getting additional bacteria built up on those early could only help stabilize sooner. Added a dozen to cycle

2. I want to consider adding my CUC shortly after setting up my tank (rocks should be fully cycled already) - before any other livestock - and essentially ‘quarantine’ them in my DT for 76 days. Any downsides to this aside from the possibly difficultly of keeping them fed? (I could probably wait until I start seeing algae).

3. I would love to add an InTank refugium (+ IM ChaetoMax light) to one of my chambers, however, I’m hesitant to do it from the start until I can get my tank to settle / get a good grasp on my parameters. Any thoughts on adding one and/or timing of such?

4. I know a quarantine tank is highly recommended, but I was planning to purchase pre-quarantined fish from some of the highly reputable sources and carefully source quarantined corals (in addition to dipping) with the hopes I can avoid setting up a QT (at least initially). Obviously has the chance to backfire, and I know I will likely need a QT at some point, but did not have it in my initial plan. Feasible?

Lastly, thanks to the whole community for being so active and engaging - I’ve learned a ton over the past month simply reading various threads on R2R!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nick711

Nick711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did not glue anything yet, but here is what I was playing around with this evening re: my aquascape. Would plan to shift both ends inward a bit to draw away from edge of tank, but otherwise felt it was a good combo of hiding spots, tunnels & areas for coral. Any big red flags you see that would impede flow or growth? Probably planning for a smaller power head on each side of tank…

Attachments

• 7944D48F-4D9E-4E6D-9410-A16D4C08D02C.jpeg
    7944D48F-4D9E-4E6D-9410-A16D4C08D02C.jpeg
    198.1 KB · Views: 39
  • A4156430-AF0C-4CE1-B862-C970E6091454.jpeg
    A4156430-AF0C-4CE1-B862-C970E6091454.jpeg
    146.2 KB · Views: 42
OP
OP
Nick711

Nick711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changed the aquascape a bit from the pics above - will share after cycled. I glued a few of the rocks with crazy glue (gel + thin glue / rock sand / baking soda) and they seemed to hold up relatively well. Hopefully the cycle does not loosen the bonds at all before I get them in my DT. I used a blower to get the first layer of dust / grit off the rocks and then cleaned them all in RO/DI and let them air dry for two days while I finished setting up my mixing station.

I am waiting on my refractometer calibration solution, but I will ultimately try landing on a 1.015 salinity for the fishless cycle, as recommended by Dr. Tim.

Rocks & a dozen marine pure bioballs were added to a 20g Brute this afternoon, which contained 10g of IO Reef Crystals SW @ 78 degrees. MJ1200 pump running for flow. Still waiting on ammonia / MB7 bac, which I expect to arrive in the next 1-2 days. Water still a bit cloudy since adding the rocks.

Attachments

• 808865AB-1C21-4CA5-BDE8-F1D634D6ED3D.jpeg
    808865AB-1C21-4CA5-BDE8-F1D634D6ED3D.jpeg
    78.7 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
Nick711

Nick711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today marks 2 weeks of MB7 dosing (2ml/day for 10g sw). Ammonia & Nitrite present. Haven’t bothered testing for Nitrate yet as the bacteria is still not processing the Ammonia very well. It seems to be stuck in the 2-3ppm range for a week+. I dosed 4ppm initially (2 the first day and 2 a couple days later). Not rushing it and will just give it time… ph seems to be in an OK range. Temp holding at 77. Salinity on the low side (sub 1.02).

In the meantime, have added a bunch of new equipment (original post updated). Hoping to have tank delivered and set-up by mid-March, at which time I’ll transfer rocks over and continue the cycle.

OP
OP
Nick711

Nick711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back