OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tackled the first major maintenance of the tank.

Cleaned return pump, UV sleeve, and sump.

Flow back up to 250gph:

Screenshot_20211016-145441_GHL Connect.jpg

Return pump was easier to remove and clean than i worried it would be:

20211016_123827.jpg

20211016_122304.jpg

Rotten macro and sponges slowed flow for sure.

Those with pentair UV, i found a wet dry vac works quite well to clean the housing and suck out the plumping of god know what... in my case i have an inline chiller so probably good to do this every so often.

20211016_134303.jpg
20211016_134306.jpg
20211016_125141.jpg

20211016_135520.jpg

Last added these to the mp40's. Thought is allow mps to be mounted higher with still higher flow set. Also it seems to create gyre type flow for sure.

20211016_145626.jpg

EDIT:

Getting the dead macro out of system, small water change, cleaning sump and wet dry vaccuming plumping through UV outlet, is getting nitrates and phosphates back in line:

20211016_191424.jpg

20211016_191224.jpg

P.s. GHL app sucks. Lol. It randomly crashes, cites errors, is super slow, doesnt work when u need it to quickly.

Last edited:

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting the return flow back up to 250gph has started tumbling the chaeto...

Nice bonus to a few hours of cleaning and maintenance:)
It always feels good to get maintenance done. I’m due for a back chamber clean out that I’ve got zero enthusiasm for.

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting the return flow back up to 250gph has started tumbling the chaeto...

Nice bonus to a few hours of cleaning and maintenance:)

Grew out of tumbling. Seems to working. If no mess, we'll see! Getting full light now.

20211023_133538.jpg

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How are you still enjoying the 50 ext. I’m torn between getting the 50 or 75. I currently have a 150 that I’ll be down grading from for a little while.

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you still enjoying the 50 ext. I’m torn between getting the 50 or 75. I currently have a 150 that I’ll be down grading from for a little while.
if i only had one tank, i'd probably roll 75 between that and the 50 gallon, just for the extra water volume and little more sump space/cabinet space. I have a 200 gallon going up, and this is an office tank, so i wanted smaller.

that said, I really like the 50 gallon. anyone debating a small tank--it's the one to get IMO. Lots of real estate (great dimensions for a small tank) in a small footprint, enough sump space for gear.

The 75 is only 6 more inches of real estate, lengthwise. But 50% more water volume ( a little taller too). If you're down sizing all your equipment, then the 50 gallon is easier to do big water changes, etc. But if you want more fish and bit more stability the 75 is it...

The 150 gallon has wonderful dimensions, 3 feet by 4 feet, right? Why are down sizing? The reason will probably help you choose...

ChrisQ0904

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My 150 is a SCA so 60x24 is my footprint. The down size is because we recently had our first child and I’m thinking/hoping to have an easier time with the tank if I were to downsize.

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replaced a fan moving air from hot side of the chiller with one of these:

Screenshot_20211029-004041_DuckDuckGo.jpg

20211029_004054.jpg

If you need a fan for a tight space, this is nice. Louder at higher speeds, but a 1/4 to 1/2 speed is quiet enough i cant hear it over other equipment.

20211029_003033.jpg

Jaw fish has tried a couple of spots, but happy to say he's picked the cave at the front of the tank for a while now. There is no more rubble or sand under the rock he lives. Cool fish--and keeping substrate clean, lol :)

Fox face sleeps/chills in the green star polyps often.

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ulva or some macro algae similar to it, long ulva blade like algae is growing in the refugium.

It grow faster than chaeto and clings to the sump surface. It makes a mess and i dont want it contaminating my chaeto, if i keep the chaeto.

I've removed the chaeto for now and put in a separate tank on its own to keep clean.

The refugium i giving a blackout period for while while figure out how to eliminate the pest macro.

Any ideas on getting rid of it???

When i cleaned the sump before i drain all the way and even sprayed hydrogen peroxide in the refugium... but this stuff survived.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ulva or some macro algae similar to it, long ulva blade like algae is growing in the refugium.

It grow faster than chaeto and clings to the sump surface. It makes a mess and i dont want it contaminating my chaeto, if i keep the chaeto.

I've removed the chaeto for now and put in a separate tank on its own to keep clean.

The refugium i giving a blackout period for while while figure out how to eliminate the pest macro.

Any ideas on getting rid of it???

When i cleaned the sump before i drain all the way and even sprayed hydrogen peroxide in the refugium... but this stuff survived.
I don’t know what to tell you there. I’ve had Ulva and Red Ogo growing either in my tank or back chambers but neither did well and once removed there were no remnants to grow back. If what yo have survived hydrogen peroxide them maybe try some reef flux or flux rx just in that chamber of the sump and then clean it out again. I used flux rx to get rid of bryopsis and it took two treatments but but so far has not come back. It probably took out any ulva that may have been leftover as well, if there even was any hiding in the back somewhere.

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know what to tell you there. I’ve had Ulva and Red Ogo growing either in my tank or back chambers but neither did well and once removed there were no remnants to grow back. If what yo have survived hydrogen peroxide them maybe try some reef flux or flux rx just in that chamber of the sump and then clean it out again. I used flux rx to get rid of bryopsis and it took two treatments but but so far has not come back. It probably took out any ulva that may have been leftover as well, if there even was any hiding in the back somewhere.

Thanks. How long does the flux rx, etc., need to treat? Hours, days?

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. How long does the flux rx, etc., need to treat? Hours, days?
A normal dose took three weeks and there was no adverse effects to any of my corals, only the algae. So you could just choose to run a normal dose per the instructions and keep the Chaeto elsewhere for the duration, or you could just bomb that particular chamber in the sump with a massive dose and then drain it all out after an hour or so. I don’t know if that would work but I don’t see a downside of trying as long as it can be contained to that one chamber and be completely removed/cleaned. It’s reef safe at the normal dose though, just takes a while.

OP
OP
Mywifeisgunnakillme

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back