Innovative Marine AIO 50 Lagoon equipment

Jeremiah G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Im jumping back into the hobby after a few years away- looks like theres been a lot of great changes!

I have been doing a lot of research and have settled on the IM 50 lagoon. I have always done my reef tanks with a sump but I recently moved to Arizona and wont be purchasing my home until next year so I want something that will be easy to move, hence the AIO tank.

What equipment would you recommend that would fit in the back? It comes with the return pump.

I need recommendations on a skimmer that will fit, a light (doing a soft coral tank), power heads (1 or 2?), and a good automatic top off. And anything else I may be missing!

Thank you :)

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avoid the IM Nuvo skimmer like the plague; Tunze is a good alternative. For lights, a pair of AI 16HD Primes or a Hydra 32 would work nicely (or you could bump it up to a EcoTech Radion G5 or Neptune SKY). Tunze also makes a good ATO (the one with 2 sensors).

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Im jumping back into the hobby after a few years away- looks like theres been a lot of great changes!

I have been doing a lot of research and have settled on the IM 50 lagoon. I have always done my reef tanks with a sump but I recently moved to Arizona and wont be purchasing my home until next year so I want something that will be easy to move, hence the AIO tank.

What equipment would you recommend that would fit in the back? It comes with the return pump.

I need recommendations on a skimmer that will fit, a light (doing a soft coral tank), power heads (1 or 2?), and a good automatic top off. And anything else I may be missing!

Thank you :)
I have this same tank and use the PLS50 protein skimmer which used to be Cadlights and is now available from Mode Aquaums. IMO it’s the best skimmer that fits in he Lagoon50 AIO. The Tunze 3155 is what I use for the ATO and that has also been a reliable unit. I agree with @blaxsun about the AI16HD primes if you are going with softies. You’ll want two, when I only had one light on mine there was shadowing and I’d always wished I’d gone with two lights from the beginning until I finally upgraded. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the tank, post lots of pictures.

Last edited:

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you ogt the extra cash, i'd go with a couple Kessil 360X's for lights, super low profile with the low profile mounting bracket, and the shimmer effect will add to softies in a real nice IMO. No need for panel lights for softies and you'll like the minimalist look IMO.

Tunze skimmer or an old school Aqua C Remora, or some other hang on that's low enough profile for you.

Tunze ATO for sure.

The innovative marine wavemakers are pretty nice and i think on sale, either IM's website and BRS, etc. A couple of those would give you all the flow you'd need for softies, and easy to use.

Aqua makes a nice hang on low profile UV that i would pick up.... Helps with parasites on fish and dinos if you're not using live rock, for example.

Random flow generator(s) or even nothing on the end of the return lines (low profile).

GHL makes some decent fans for cooling...

good luck!

OP
OP
Jeremiah G

Jeremiah G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avoid the IM Nuvo skimmer like the plague; Tunze is a good alternative. For lights, a pair of AI 16HD Primes or a Hydra 32 would work nicely (or you could bump it up to a EcoTech Radion G5 or Neptune SKY). Tunze also makes a good ATO (the one with 2 sensors).
Those lights look great, I will do some more research on them.
I just watched a video on the Tunze ATO and am very impressed- not a lot of availability on them right now, I may have to pay extra and get it on Amazon.

OP
OP
Jeremiah G

Jeremiah G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this same tank and use the PLS50 protein skimmer which used o be Cadlights and is now available from Mode Aquaums. IMO it’s the best skimmer that fits in he Lagoon50 AIO. The Tunze 3155 is what I use for the ATO and that has also been a reliable unit. I agree with @blaxsun about the AI16HD primes if you are going with softies. You’ll want two, when I only had one light on mine there was shadowing and I’d always wished I’d gone with two lights from the beginning until I finally upgraded. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the tank, post lots of pictures.
Thanks for the info!
I just checked out a video on that PLS50 protein skimmer and Im sold.
The Tunze 3155 is also on my list.
I will check out the lights you suggested as well. Definitely will be posting a build thread with lots of pictures :cool:

OP
OP
Jeremiah G

Jeremiah G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you ogt the extra cash, i'd go with a couple Kessil 360X's for lights, super low profile with the low profile mounting bracket, and the shimmer effect will add to softies in a real nice IMO. No need for panel lights for softies and you'll like the minimalist look IMO.

Tunze skimmer or an old school Aqua C Remora, or some other hang on that's low enough profile for you.

Tunze ATO for sure.

The innovative marine wavemakers are pretty nice and i think on sale, either IM's website and BRS, etc. A couple of those would give you all the flow you'd need for softies, and easy to use.

Aqua makes a nice hang on low profile UV that i would pick up.... Helps with parasites on fish and dinos if you're not using live rock, for example.

Random flow generator(s) or even nothing on the end of the return lines (low profile).

GHL makes some decent fans for cooling...

good luck!
Those lights you suggested sound nice- especially the shimmer effect! I will check them out.
The Tunze 3155 ATO is on my list :)

I will check out the other equipment you recommended- thank you!

Back