Innovative Marine EXT 100 ordered - Back after nearly 20 Years

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we've been out of the saltwater aquarium hobby for nearly 20 years. The hobby has come a long way and now that things are stable for us we are going to get back into the hobby. We are planning to stock some coral, fish, cleaning crew, and hopefully a clam. More to follow in the livestock discussion below.

In the mean time I'm starting this build thread. I saw a great example with links to the various pieces of hardware and I'm going to trying and mimic that thread.

TANK & SUMP:

I initially was thinking a RedSea Reefer XL 425 or 525 for the "all in one" package of tank, stand, and sump. As we continued to research I was intrigued by the roller filter systems and the prospect of not having to clean our filter socks every couple of days. I started looking into it and stumbled upon the Trigger System Platinum Line so my focus changed from an "all in one" tank package to "just" a tank/stand.

Researching tank/stands had me coming back to Innovative Marine after every other search I did. There are some other companies out there...and I even looked at some of the custom builders (which were nice) but I just kept coming back to IM.

Once I had my mind made up we needed to decide on a 100 or 170 gallon tank. I asked around the forums and even sent an e-mail to IM asking for some clarification. I was called back within a little while of sending my e-mail by Paul at IM. He answered my questions and gave me some advice. That kind of service/support had me convinced that IM was going to be the tank we ordered. The place we planned to put the tank could easily handle the 170 but in the end the weight of the tank (600lbs for the EXT 170 vs 225lbs for the EXT 100) finally led us to order the EXT 100 which is supposed to ship Mid - July.

Aquarium: Innovative Marine EXT 100 (Direct from IM shipping Mid July 2021)
--Updated Delivery date now End of Aug
Sump: Trigger Systems Platinum 39 (Bulk Reef Supply arrived 5/20/21)

HARDWARE:

Lighting: 2 x Kessil AP9X ???
UV: Pentair 25W (Purchased)
Return Pump: Vectra M2 (Purchased)
Circulation: 2 x VorTech MP40wQD's (Purchased)
Protein Skimmer: Reef Octopus Elite 150-INT (Purchased)
Heater: True Temp 300W with JBJ Controller (Purchased)

LIVESTOCK WISHLIST (Long Term):

Fish:
2 x clownfish
Watchman Goby (pistol shrimp "pair)

Not "Fish":
Cleaner Shrimp
Pistol Shrimp
Clean Up Crew (We always loved watching snails/hermits)
A clam of some sort
Pulsing Xenia (on separate rock on bottom to keep it under control)
GSP (on separate rock on bottom to keep it under control)

Last edited:

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well we definitely need pictures when you get chance

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wooo another 100EXT! Love mine, I upgraded to it about 2 1/2 months ago and soon going to start filling it with corals. Great tank.

My only gripe is the magnets on the stand, they don’t always both work in unison for each door.

Also two front doors swing one way and the third swings the opposite, that’s kinda annoying would be better with two big swing doors.
The end doors on the stand are big though and are great!

OP
OP
PigDaddyF15E

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated my livestock "Wish List"

Updated my potential hardware purchases. Still doing research. I put ??? by anything that I still haven't purchased but think I've picked the right piece of gear.

Skimmer Sizing Question: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/s...tinum-39-with-im-100-ext.838935/#post-9081924
I run two Mp40s on my 100EXT and they stick just fine and provide plenty of flow. I also run an L1 in a basement sump that runs at 49% so an m2 on yours should provide plenty of extra flow if you need it.

As for the Kessils i like a smaller footprint on my tank so i went radion. Ive heard good things about the kessils though

OP
OP
PigDaddyF15E

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run two Mp40s on my 100EXT and they stick just fine and provide plenty of flow. I also run an L1 in a basement sump that runs at 49% so an m2 on yours should provide plenty of extra flow if you need it.

As for the Kessils i like a smaller footprint on my tank so i went radion. Ive heard good things about the kessils though
Exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for! Thanks. I'll have some additional questions that I'll post in the plumbing section. but I need to plumb in a UV...maybe two? (one at teh algae flow rate...another at the parasite flow rate). I'll link the thread once I post.

PanhandleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the Pentair 25w on my 100 EXT. I find the 40w to be much larger than I wanted or needed. Also when I was researching the way I wanted to go, the flow requirements pushed me to the 25w. The recommended flow for 25w is a little over 400 gph and that is the flow range I was planning on running anyways to give me 4 times turnover. The 40w required much more flow and I'm only running a Cor20 with no room for a second pump.

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
personally i wouldnt waste the money on UV, i dont think the juice is worth the squeeze. if i ever had a green water bloom or something ill buy the 40$ green killing machine on amazon.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
PigDaddyF15E

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Return Plumbing Question: How's this for drain plumbing? Thoughts?

So the 100 EXT is 1" overflow/drain so this is my plan using flexible tubing:

To the 1" Slip x Slip Bulkheads attach a 1" Schedule 80 union (threaded on both ends)

To that threaded union attach a 1" Schedule 80 Straight Barb x male threads

Attach 1" flexible tubing to those three to return to the sump

---The Primary drain will have a 1" barb / threaded / Gate Valve / threaded / 1" barb installed further down the line.

100 EXT Overflow.JPG

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Love my IM 75 INT. Only regret is not going with the EXT. I thought the end to end overflow would be cool but at the end of the day it just takes up space and is a detritous trap back there.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Return Plumbing Question: How's this for drain plumbing? Thoughts?

To the 1" Slip x Slip Bulkheads attach a 1" Schedule 80 union (threaded on both ends)

How are you planning on attaching the threaded union to the slip bulkhead?

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with mine I ended up making a durso as my secondary drain to help the water noise. Also I’ve read the gate valve should be as close to the end of the line into the sump as practical.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the impression the slip bulkhead was threaded. It looks that way in the diagram

I am sure it comes with slip slip bulkheads for the drains. The threads on the diagram are on the outside of the bulkhead and are for the nut

OP
OP
PigDaddyF15E

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure it comes with slip slip bulkheads for the drains. The threads on the diagram are on the outside of the bulkhead and are for the nut
Ah...I guess I was under the impression those threads would be compatible with "standard" 1" threaded pvc fittings.

If not...then how/what do you connect?

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back