OP
OP
PigDaddyF15E

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't wait to get done with my work day to start putting together the stand.

First Band-Aid of the project
BooBoo.jpg

Should have done this first...but will admit I took this after I unboxed the stand.

Beer.jpg

OP
OP
PigDaddyF15E

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top layer of the box when you pop the lid off. "Thin" (1/2 inch) styrofoam all around the outside.
Top of Box.jpg

Second Layer of the box containing the stand.
Second Layer.jpg

Everything unpacked.
Stand Unboxed.jpg

Only thing that "worried" me was this piece. It looks like it got something on it...not paint...not too sure. Was worried that some piece had been damaged/painted/stained...but all seems well. Now that I think about it, it might have been some styrofoam.
Paint on tape.jpg

PanhandleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely take your time with the stand. It seems easy enough but it can have some problems if you rush it. I had to re due mine the first time because it didn't come out square.

OP
OP
PigDaddyF15E

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First couple of steps and I'm surprised at the amount of force you have to put on these cams to get them to lock into the "12 o clock" position. The stand comes with an included wrench but it's twisting due to the amount of torque you have to put on it to get the cams to move.
cams at 12.jpg

a and b with c and c1.jpg

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know if the PVC top aligned with the stand top. Mine was wonky and the back corner on one side would line up but the other back corner would pull off by a 1/2”

I used a rubber tank leveler to fill the gap before putting the tank on

PanhandleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know if the PVC top aligned with the stand top. Mine was wonky and the back corner on one side would line up but the other back corner would pull off by a 1/2”

Mine was the same way the first time. I redid it and tightened everything in a slightly different pattern and I got it to 1/8 and the tank sits on it nicely.

OP
OP
PigDaddyF15E

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What exactly do you mean by PVC top? Do you mean when you set the tank on the stand the tank would not sit level across the whole of the frame?

OP
OP
PigDaddyF15E

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Putting the "slats" on what I think eventually becomes the bottom of the stand (five slats on bottom / two on top).
Slat Bottom.jpg

Sliding the slats into place ......not real pleased with how it turned out.
Slat Scratch.jpg

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What exactly do you mean by PVC top? Do you mean when you set the tank on the stand the tank would not sit level across the whole of the frame?
The black top that goes on the stand is a PVC composite (almost like plastic)

the tank sat level the PVC sheet was just short on the one corner

OP
OP
PigDaddyF15E

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two things we noticed so far:

1. They are not real clear on which way the doors go on in the first couple of steps...so naturally I had them on "backwards" in the they opened towards the room instead of towards the wall. You don't really see an example until you are much further down the instructions and it would be harder to undo. I just happened to think about it and checked. I guess I could have looked at the IM website...perhaps a picture somewhere showed the doors in an open configuration.

2. They are not clear on how far apart/where you are supposed to put all these "slats"...EXCEPT one....the one that goes between the door locks on the front. That one was clear..the rest..not so much. I think they should have measurements or markings on the frame to tell you where to put all these slats.
Rough Stand in Place.jpg

OP
OP
PigDaddyF15E

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the aquarium in place. Four of us moved the crate from the garage to the doorstep. We then broke down the wooden shipping crate. Two of us just lifted it, stepped into the house, and put it on the pedestal. Plan is to plumb in place then push it back into place. Might need to tilt the whole thing back just a touch...as where it's currently sitting...is not quite level "back to front".

front empty.jpg

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the aquarium in place. Four of us moved the crate from the garage to the doorstep. We then broke down the wooden shipping crate. Two of us just lifted it, stepped into the house, and put it on the pedestal. Plan is to plumb in place then push it back into place. Might need to tilt the whole thing back just a touch...as where it's currently sitting...is not quite level "back to front".

front empty.jpg
I had to do the same. Added a rumbler pad in the front corners of the stand to level. IM told me via email it wouldn’t affect the integrity by just padding the corners as the bottom beam doesn’t actually rest on the ground without them.

OP
OP
PigDaddyF15E

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry fit of the overflow (Primary drain on left and emergency on right). Will be using flexible PVC at those unions down into the sump. One thing I noticed is that the "instructions" say that the emergency overflow should be 1/4 inch below the grates of the overflow from tank into the box...the pipe that came with the tank seems to be about level...might have to sand it down / cut off a little.
overflow dry fit.jpg

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not lower mine. I did not want my water to drop into the overflow.

OP
OP
PigDaddyF15E

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got to the point where I'm going to glue Flexible PVC into schedule 80 fittings and I'm not too happy. It's 1 1/4 OD & 1 ID but it just isn't the same tight fit at "regular" PVC. I'm avoiding barbs as I don't like the restriction....and I was under the impression I could do it without....

Posted over here....

inside fpvc.jpg
label from marine.jpg
FPVC to union.jpg

Last edited:

jtichenor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the gate valve angled to the side of the tank or in the sump so that you can easily reach it when the tank is against the wall.

OP
OP
PigDaddyF15E

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a closed foam mat laying around that just so happened to be the same size as the bottom of the stand so we lifted up the sump and slid it under. 1st pic is as we were sliding it in...
mat under2.jpg
mat under.jpg

Back