OP
OP
PigDaddyF15E

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And now for something completely different......

After looking at various ways to mount/manage cables for all this stuff:
2x mp40's, pump, 2 lights, 2 x apex flow meters, leak detector, apex probes.......

We've decided instead of trying to mount some type of paneling on the back of the stand...or attach something to the door...to just buy some type of cabinet. The aquarium/stand would be about six inches to the right of this cabinet.

stand.jpeg

It's a rather large TV stand...but it gives me the ability to use the right saide as a cabinet to store all the apex / vortech controllers. The left side is for various testing kits and misc equipment.

This is one of those cases where I really only get to specify my requirements and my wife gets to pick it out since it's sitting near the front door and is visible when we have guests over.

One possibility was to put an ATO in the left side. Was thinking initially I could put it on top...but the cabinet height (35") plus ATO height (23") would mean I'm lifting buckets of RO water pretty high...so we are probably going to scrap that idea.

We'll build a vertical wall on the right hand side of this to mount the apex controller, powerbar, and the vortech controllers. I've purchased extension cables for the vortech (only need two...one for the far side mp40 and one for the pump). That'll give me vertical mounting surfaces and I can then pass the cables out through the slot in the back and down to a conduit to get the cables into the area of the sump/stand.

OP
OP
PigDaddyF15E

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And now we return to our regularly schedule programming.

I think I've gotten all the plumbing glued. Here is a picture of the "main" piece. The return pump will attach at the bottom left fitting in this picture. As I'm shooting for 500 GPH flow ...all the water is going to go through the UV since it's rated for algae at 500gph. Above the fitting at the top is a Tee which reduces to 3/4 inch and connects to the returns.
Complete.jpg

Complete UV.jpg
reducing2.jpg
reducing.jpg

OP
OP
PigDaddyF15E

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a problem when assembling the Reef Octopus Elite 150 Protein Skimmer

OP
OP
PigDaddyF15E

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...filling it with water for a leak check. Decided to put together the Innovative Marine 48" x 24" DIY Mesh Lid Kit (ordered from Bulk Reef Supply).
Overall I think it came out pretty straight and taunt...but my thumb paid the price pressing that strip that locks the mesh in place.

PSA - Punch the corners out. My tank has sealant in the corners...and if you don't punch these out and you try to place it down the corners would dig into the sealant. Pop these break away corners out and don't worry about gouging your corner sealant.
Lid one.jpg

lid two.jpg
lid corner.jpg

PanhandleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A rubber mallet is your friend. Save your thumbs. Looks like everything is coming along.

OP
OP
PigDaddyF15E

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquascape. I'm not very creative so my wife "volunteered" to do the aquascape. She watched a couple of videos (BRS and Queenofreef) and put this together. Plan is to have three pieces that are easy to lift....move those into the tank...then glue the "bridge" pieces into place and mortar the whole thing together.

Aquainbox.jpg

OP
OP
PigDaddyF15E

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First leak test = FAILURE!!!

Leak on a one inch slip x thread union that connects a flow meter to some flexible PVC. I shut it down...dried out the area...and gooped on some primer then some glue. Not holding my breath...but might as well while I wait for the unions to come in the mail.

PanhandleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You managed to find the Neptune unions in stock? They never seem to have any and they are different than normal ones. Is it leaking from the slip or from the threads?

OP
OP
PigDaddyF15E

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You managed to find the Neptune unions in stock? They never seem to have any and they are different than normal ones. Is it leaking from the slip or from the threads?
dang...I did not know they were different threads...naturally...why would they be standard pvc.

It's leaking from the slip where I glued in Flexible PVC. Threads seem to be good as I used a couple wraps of plumbers tape.

From Bulk Reef Supply website:

"1" Flow Sensor for the Fluid Metering Module from Neptune.

The FS-100 will work with flow rates from 150-1500 gph, and will connect to any standard 1" Slip PVC."

but then goes on to say:

"The flow sensor itself uses British Standard Parallel Pipe (BSPP) threads so all BRS customers we have included two specially designed PVC unions with slip fittings to adapt it to standard 1″ PVC plumbing."

Wonder if that means I can use the slip part of a "standard" one inch union......

PanhandleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder if that means I can use the slip part of a "standard" one inch union......
I just took mine off to check with the normal 1” slip collar because I wanted to make sure I gave you accurate info. The collar will not screw on. The threads are different.

OP
OP
PigDaddyF15E

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just took mine off to check with the normal 1” slip collar because I wanted to make sure I gave you accurate info. The collar will not screw on. The threads are different.
dang....good thing I ordered regular one inch union via 2nd day air.....:mad:

I see they are $10 on the Neptune website...except they are sold out.....

Thanks for checking!

Last edited:

PanhandleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you can slide the collar from the sensor over the slip part of the standard union you purchased.

OP
OP
PigDaddyF15E

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you can slide the collar from the sensor over the slip part of the standard union you purchased.
Good idea...assuming the slip/gasket/thread part is the same size but just threaded different from a "standard" union.

Gotta try something as the Neptune site is sold out on unions.

OP
OP
PigDaddyF15E

PigDaddyF15E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First leak test = FAILURE!!!

Leak on a one inch slip x thread union that connects a flow meter to some flexible PVC. I shut it down...dried out the area...and gooped on some primer then some glue. Not holding my breath...but might as well while I wait for the unions to come in the mail.
Well...my liberal application of primer and glue has stopped the leak on that fitting. Honestly don't know if I'd trust that in the long run. Probably a prime place to put a leak detector just in case.

I found two other leaks today. One is the thread/barb fitting that comes out of the UV. I think I just need to tighten it. Second leak was the on the gasket sealing the clear tube the UV bulb fits in. The spot where that screws down onto to the top of the UV. at least I didn't detect any leaks INSIDE the clear glass (no bulb in...but had a paper towel in per the instructions). Had to take the nut off and reseat the gasket...hopefully that will do the trick.

Definitely gonna put a leak detector on the floor in this area. Almost wish I had a custom "pan" I could slide between the wall and the back of the stand as a catch basin so any water doesn't hit the floor....perhaps WeatherTech does custom jobs????

Adrift

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue with my fs-200s I installed at the thread union. What I did was take it apart and clean really well then screwed them down. I used rectorseal 5 on the sensor to threaded connection. I haven’t that issue again. I’ve done two leak test thus far for a week apiece.

Adrift

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh when I install my pentair quartz sleeve try to install the adaptor outside the tube. I notice it was cocked to one side. Took about three tries and then installed into housing with no issues. If you visit the pentair site they have real good video instructional video.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back