Innovative Marine EXT 200 or Red Sea xxl 750 V3?

Adam_M

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I'm about to move and trying to decide what tank I'm going to get on the other end at the new house. Right now I have a SC Aquariums 150 (60x24x24). I don't like how the stand + tank is 5 ft tall total, and it makes it very difficult to work on the bottom of the tank without a 3 step ladder. I'm trying to decide between the EXT 200 and XXL 750 but I can't find any dimensions for total tank height with the included stand for the EXT 200 (the XXL looks to be 2 inches shorter than my current setup).

Anyone have any thoughts on which one I might prefer? It's a long distance move so it's just not really an option to take down my curren tank and set it back up on the other side without a very high risk of fish and coral death, so I'm going to just set up a new one and get it running, then move the livestock. Current tank has been up 2 years and is full of livestock and coral.

Thanks!

TexanCanuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you've got the lead-time, why not avoid the off-the-shelf solutions and buy a standard tank with a custom stand to get exactly what you want?

I've not used the Red Sea versions, but I have owned the Innovative Marine version in the past. While it was a great way to get my first tank up and running without having to make a ton of decisions, as I grew in the hobby I found it was just so much more limiting in what I could do.

So given the luxury of time and space I'd go to a local outfitter and get them to quote you a custom stand ... they really aren't that expensive and then you can get something that more looks like a piece of furniture and that will last you a lifetime.

OP
OP
Adam_M

Adam_M

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you specifically find limiting? My concern is always with making sure the tank fits the stand correctly, and I honestly only have about 6 weeks to sort everything out. I'm having a family member watch after my current tank for me but I can't impose more than about a month of that on them.

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO Innovative marine ( Between those 2 )
- Has eurobracing / bottom bracing (I prefer it over rimless on that size)
- External overflow (bean animal) vs the Internal red sea (less obtrusive)
- Better dimensions (Larger width vs height)
- aluminum stand

Also doesn't come with a sump (I think) which is preferable to me.

Also a better alternative red sea to the 750 however would be the S-850
I would get that over the 750 xxl if you went red sea. Between that and IM there's not a huge difference I guess

OP
OP
Adam_M

Adam_M

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Yeah one of my big concerns is with the height. My current is 24" and it's just too much. 60" total means I have to get on a stepladder to do any work in the tank.

Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I order the IM 200 EXT, the tank is 21.7" and the stand 35.4 for a total height of 57.1" Approx. My went with this tank because of the width, at 30" there is a good space to do a nice aquascape. Also plan is to have a mix tank, so this will help with coral placement too.

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the EXT 100. I’m 6ft and have no issues getting in the tank for general maintenance with my arm especially with the tank being just over 20” tall. If I really need to get in there I have a one step stool I use.

I enjoy the 3/4” glass and the cut out overflow in the back so there’s nothing in the tank.

The glass is super clear and the silicone work was great on my tank.

Also IM usually has a 10-15% sale going on so you can save yourself money along with free shipping!

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I'm about to move and trying to decide what tank I'm going to get on the other end at the new house. Right now I have a SC Aquariums 150 (60x24x24). I don't like how the stand + tank is 5 ft tall total, and it makes it very difficult to work on the bottom of the tank without a 3 step ladder. I'm trying to decide between the EXT 200 and XXL 750 but I can't find any dimensions for total tank height with the included stand for the EXT 200 (the XXL looks to be 2 inches shorter than my current setup).

Anyone have any thoughts on which one I might prefer? It's a long distance move so it's just not really an option to take down my curren tank and set it back up on the other side without a very high risk of fish and coral death, so I'm going to just set up a new one and get it running, then move the livestock. Current tank has been up 2 years and is full of livestock and coral.

Thanks!
I have the IM200ext and can tell you that it is 58 inches tall sitting on the stand. You didn't say how close that is to your 2 inch difference estimateI, but hopefully that is helpful for you. I love my tank; so I am probably biased. I really like the stealthy euro bracing on the larger IM tanks. The euro brace makes cleaning so much easier over a rimless and still gives a clean rimless look. Quality is top notch too.

I llike the new Red Sea S series tanks too but they come at a higher price point and do not have bracing on the back of the tank.

Good luck. Following along.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have redsea S-1000 but IM 200 EXT peninsula is much better if you can plumb and get nice sump for it.
curious why you think this? I just sold off my RS 650P taking a break for 18 months then will get back in. the IM 200 is top of my list (at current price point.) just wondering they you think the IM in better than the RS S 1000?

Back