OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how close does the tank/sump need to be to the hot water heater for this kind of a heating system to work?
It dosent really matter. The heat loss into the plumbing and air out of the heat exchanger is minimal. I started out about 5-6 feet and have extended it to about 15-20 feet. A longer run may cause an additional run time for the circulation pump but the energy required would still be minimal.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It dosent really matter. The heat loss into the plumbing and air out of the heat exchanger is minimal. I started out about 5-6 feet and have extended it to about 15-20 feet. A longer run may cause an additional run time for the circulation pump but the energy required would still be minimal.
I want this on my next tank. So efficient.

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want this on my next tank. So efficient.
Yes it is and it is also very scalable. Something that I did not mention earlier is that I need to battery backup my water heater as well. Not a large load at all but it does have an electronic flue damper and electronic ignition. So this should also be considered.

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off topic but I hope everyone is enjoying time with their friends and family today.
Screenshot_20220530-165714_Gallery.jpg

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sean, how are you managing humidity with your system?
I have the left side of the canopy open to the upper left cabinet which is then open to the room on the top.
Screenshot_20220602-100507_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220602-101017_Gallery.jpg

Right now I have a fan that pushes air through the cabinet and into the canopy to keep the air moving. This keeps the hood and sump area nice and fresh. Without the fan there is a bit of humidity in the canopy and in the stand.
I do not have any humidity issues in the house because of the tank. The entire first floor is basically wide open so there is a lot of airspace.

My initial plan was to install this AC INFINITY AIRFRAME T9 PRO fan directly into the cabinet frame between the hood and left side which will fill that space and look nice and clean.
Screenshot_20220602-101835_Chrome Beta.jpg

Unfortunately they keep pushing the product release back. So I have not been able to do that yet.

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So flow... as many already know I thought that I would break the mold on my peninsula flow and try to minimize or totally eliminate wires in the tank and absolutely refused to have anything hanging off of the far side of the tank. I wanted to use return pump flow as part of my display tank flow. Why this is taboo? I have no idea. It works fantastic. I added two CPR eductors to my return bulkheads just for good measure. I wanted to ensure that I reached the other side of the tank and I definitely did.
I only have one pump in the tank and I assure you that it is off in this video. This is just the return pump flow through the educters.

I measure 1.25" from the euro brace to the water on the plumbing side and 5/8" from the euro brace to the water on the far side.

I only use the Tunze to mix up the flow a bit.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off topic but I hope everyone is enjoying time with their friends and family today.
Screenshot_20220530-165714_Gallery.jpg
Yum! I do the primes around Christmas/Easter when they are crazy cheap on sale. Just did a ton of brisket and pork for a BBQ for 75 recently

IMG_0096.jpeg IMG_0097.jpeg

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yum! I do the primes around Christmas/Easter when they are crazy cheap on sale. Just did a ton of brisket and pork for a BBQ for 75 recently

Looking good. All that needs is some Nick's seasong Nick's seasoning from @TriggerFinger. Also it appears that my invitation may have been lost in the mail.

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am going to need some after pics. You can't just tease us like that...

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So flow... as many already know I thought that I would break the mold on my peninsula flow and try to minimize or totally eliminate wires in the tank and absolutely refused to have anything hanging off of the far side of the tank. I wanted to use return pump flow as part of my display tank flow. Why this is taboo? I have no idea. It works fantastic. I added two CPR eductors to my return bulkheads just for good measure. I wanted to ensure that I reached the other side of the tank and I definitely did.
I only have one pump in the tank and I assure you that it is off in this video. This is just the return pump flow through the educters.

I measure 1.25" from the euro brace to the water on the plumbing side and 5/8" from the euro brace to the water on the far side.

I only use the Tunze to mix up the flow a bit.
You ever try a Switching current water director (scwd)? I too have committed the sin of using my return to help with flow, and I LOVED the 1” scwd!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have committed the sin of using my return to help with flow
When did this become taboo?? I thought powerheads/ wavemakers were to supplement the return pump flow! No?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You ever try a Switching current water director (scwd)? I too have committed the sin of using my return to help with flow, and I LOVED the 1” scwd!
I just watched that video on the scwd there is something else out there on the market but I cannot remember the name of it. I do not know anyone with a scwd. Personally I would go the sea swirl route first. I know they are different things but I like to see others feedback.

Last edited:
Back