OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When did this become taboo?? O thought powerheads/ wavemakers were to supplement the return pump flow! No?
Didn't you know? You can't have a successful reef with out expensive powerheads in the disply.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So flow... as many already know I thought that I would break the mold on my peninsula flow and try to minimize or totally eliminate wires in the tank and absolutely refused to have anything hanging off of the far side of the tank. I wanted to use return pump flow as part of my display tank flow. Why this is taboo? I have no idea. It works fantastic. I added two CPR eductors to my return bulkheads just for good measure. I wanted to ensure that I reached the other side of the tank and I definitely did.
I only have one pump in the tank and I assure you that it is off in this video. This is just the return pump flow through the educters.

I measure 1.25" from the euro brace to the water on the plumbing side and 5/8" from the euro brace to the water on the far side.

I only use the Tunze to mix up the flow a bit.
Are the CPRs like the VCA random flow generators?

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, they only go one way. Soposidly five times ouput to input.

I have used the @Vivid Creative Aquatics RFGs before. While they do offer a great variable flow pattern they cannot match what the CPR eductors do for flow output.

I believe this is because they try to maintain a low profile.

These two products are trying to accomplish two different goals.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to need some after pics. You can't just tease us like that...
Totally forgot to take done pictures :(
But here's some baby lemon meringue pies to make up for it
IMG_0082.jpeg

IMG_0414.GIF

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sean Clark was correct, (thanks Sean for tagging us on this) in that the CPR educator and the our Random Flow Generator are definitely trying to accomplish two different things.

The CPR educator's goal to move more water as far as possible through increased volume and velocity. If that's your goal, it is a great choice. For best results though you do need to supply it a fair amount of pressure, as it's center jet is small(ish) to help build the velocity it needs to accomplish it's task.

The Random Flow Generator on the the other hand is designed to create a more varied flow. It's goal is to move a larger body of water (but not necessarily more throughput volume ) by varying the direction of the flow or "Randomizing" it. It can almost move water like wavemaker. more than it does like a jet.

Here's an example of the RFG in action on a close loop - this tank is our office system and it has no powerheads

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sean Clark was correct, (thanks Sean for tagging us on this) in that the CPR educator and the our Random Flow Generator are definitely trying to accomplish two different things.

The CPR educator's goal to move more water as far as possible through increased volume and velocity. If that's your goal, it is a great choice. For best results though you do need to supply it a fair amount of pressure, as it's center jet is small(ish) to help build the velocity it needs to accomplish it's task.

The Random Flow Generator on the the other hand is designed to create a more varied flow. It's goal is to move a larger body of water (but not necessarily more throughput volume ) by varying the direction of the flow or "Randomizing" it. It can almost move water like wavemaker. more than it does like a jet.

Here's an example of the RFG in action on a close loop - this tank is our office system and it has no powerheads

Yep - you do want to supply them the right amount of flow. In many cases fewer RFG do better then more RFGs, That's another good example of a difference between a standard educator and a Random Flow Generator.

Last edited:

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could not find a good, clean looking way to enclose the plumbing side of the tank. I thought that once the tank was in place, that inspiration would strike me. So I sat and stared at the wall some more.

Several beers later a friend said something like "Why dont you just buy another cabinet and put it on the side?". Initially, I dismissed this and told them that it wasn't that easy. Well, as it turns out, it was that easy. Innovative Marine makes a 20 gallon peninsula tank that has the same 30 inch deep stand. I purchased two of these stands and stacked them on top of each other.

The 20 gallon stand is normally 12x30 inches. I took the panels apart and flipped the vertical aluminum profiles around so they would match the 200ext stand. This resulted in a 12.75 inch wide cabinet for the plumbing to route inside

In these photos I still have the white PVC board on top of the stand with the black PVC board that comes with the tank sitting on top of that. The second 20 gallon stand is stacked on top of the PVC board. I thought that this would tie it all together once the tank was on the stand. Later I wound up cutting the PVC board down to only sit under the tank.
@Sean Clark this is brilliant use of spare stands. Where are you getting your PVC sheet?

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny that you should bring that up. That was intentional. I am coming up on the one year mark since I added coral (not tester corals) to the tank. I have planed to do a one year reveal post to show all of the progress. That is why in my post here and elsewhere when I include a photo I will crop them to only show the subject of the post. If someone was really ambitious they could potentially put all of the pieces together. She does look good doesn't she?

It's coming I promise.
Do you know in how long I can expect the update FTS? Maybe a date so I can mark it on a calendar? I’m invested.

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know in how long I can expect the update FTS? Maybe a date so I can mark it on a calendar? I’m invested.
July 6 is the official day but I was thinking about a 4th of July video special though. I have already been cheating and getting some stills and video while I learn how to use the camera.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I the only one that is this OCD? After cutting my piping, I chamfered the inside and outside to ensure that everything was buttery smooth; even though nobody would ever see it. Here are some before and after pics.

20210822_144401.jpg 20210822_144428.jpg
By far the cleanest pvc cut I’ve ever seen

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By far the cleanest pvc cut I’ve ever seen
Thanks. I made all of my cuts by hand using Ridgid tubing cutters fitted with a special cutting wheel for cutting PVC pipe instead of copper tubing. Absolutely unnecessary, then I chamfered them inside and out and sanded the ends until they were buttery smooth. This is also absolutely unnecessary. I did it anyway. Thank you for noticing.
Screenshot_20220607-015512_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I made all of my cuts by hand using Ridgid tubing cutters fitted with a special cutting wheel for cutting PVC pipe instead of copper tubing. Absolutely unnecessary, then I chamfered them inside and out and sanded the ends until they were buttery smooth. This is also absolutely unnecessary. I did it anyway. Thank you for noticing
Screenshot_20220607-015512_Gallery.jpg
Nifty little tool there… I learned something new today. thanks for the tip.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back