OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those reactions are for the original post of each thread. If nobody gave a heart eye reaction in the original post of this thread, it would not show up. :)

I spend wayyy too much time here FYI. I think you can relate. :face-with-tears-of-joy:
I appreciate your dedication and thank you for teaching me something today. I did not know that.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate your dedication and thank you for teaching me something today. I did not know that.
Well, in the spirit of decorating your thread, I added another one ;)

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aww, it's not showing up... Maybe there's a limit, lol!
lol

The top 3 emojis are what will show as icons. Haha. If they are tied then it will just choose one of them.

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A storm's a coming Anni...

I did not have a power outage but I did fail in a very obvious way...

Battery backup and Apex programing oversights:

So I had a very large storm come through last night. Lots of lightning and I started to get concerned.

The storm was so intense that I decided that the power was going to go out and that I should get ahead of it. I wanted to avoid the possibility of some kind of electrical surge from destroying any of my equipment. So I came up with the plan to just disconnect my tank from the electrical system and wait out the storm. The system would be fine on battery power and outlast the storm on battery power while also allowing me to give the batteries a nice shakedown test which I have not done fully.

Unforeseen problems with my method:

I have my Apex programming set to shut down all "unnecessary" items to conserve the runtime of the batteries in a power outage. This should all happen automatically. The way this works is by monitoring the auxiliary power supply to the Apex; if there is no power then the Apex reports that status and executes any appropriate coding.

I cut the power to my system and it went over to battery power seamlessly. No need to worry about any random electrical surges.

So what is the problem?:

Well, I disconnected the power to the system. The power goes from the house to the batteries to the tank. Sounds simple right?
What I did not realize was the fact that my Apex "power monitoring" adapter was plugged into a regular house outlet that was not backed up by the battery backup. This is considered standard practice. However this led to my issue.

So when I preemptively disconnected my system power to isolate it from the grid and prevent any possible damage from the storm, the Apex did not see this as a power loss due to the power adapter being plugged into an outlet that still had power. Remember I chose to disconnect the power to the tank to eliminate the chance of damage, so the Apex did not implement any of my power outage coding because as far as it was concerned, It still had power.

This left my system with lights on, cooling fans on, protein skimmer on, etc. after the power was cut. This directly negated the intent of the coding which was to prolong the battery run time.

The Fix:

In hindsight, I now realize that the power monitoring outlet should be installed on one of the non critical load receptacles of the battery backup; thus ensuring that whether a real power outage or a simulated one the Apex will respond as coded.

I do not know how many people run a backup power system like this, but I thought that I would share my oversights anyway.

I also do not know how many people would intentionally cut the power to their reef tank "just in case"; so factor that into your evaluation.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man. How's ur tank doing? Got a picture? Lol.
Curious George here. And 12am and all. Lol.
Ty! Reef on man
D
We need to wait until July 6th, but he might give us a special video on July 4th if we are lucky.

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man. How's ur tank doing? Got a picture? Lol.
Curious George here. And 12am and all. Lol.
Ty! Reef on man
D
It's coming. FTS with lots of in-between and video. Thanks for checking in.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's coming. FTS with lots of in-between and video. Thanks for checking in.
Lets Go Come On Man GIF by filmeditor

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I have exactly 48" from the ceiling to the top of the glass tank. If only there was a light that could be mounted on/in the ceiling and still deliver par and penetration into my tank. Let me know what direction I should go. I am definitely going to need more punch going forward. Growth problems.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I have exactly 48" from the ceiling to the top of the glass tank. If only there was a light that could be mounted on/in the ceiling and still deliver par and penetration into my tank. Let me know what direction I should go. I am definitely going to need more punch going forward. Growth problems.
Is the reason you want to go stronger because I told you my maxima is at 350 par? ;)

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you saying you want to find a light where the bulbs are 4 feet above the tank?? Or something that can hang down from the ceiling and end up 10 inches or so above the water?

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What types of clams?
I would like a nice variety, I am not too set on any one species. I like the different shell shapes and high contrasting colors.
Did you see the ones posted recently on the Pacific east website? Holy smokes.
I just looked, You weren't kidding. Those all look amazing!

Are you saying you want to find a light where the bulbs are 4 feet above the tank?? Or something that can hang down from the ceiling and end up 10 inches or so above the water?
I was thinking about six A500x lights recessed into the ceiling; but I am open to suggestions.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like a nice variety, I am not too set on any one species. I like the different shell shapes and high contrasting colors.

I just looked, You weren't kidding. Those all look amazing!

I was thinking about six A500x lights recessed into the ceiling; but I am open to suggestions.
Jake Adams did a review of the ax500 that specifically addressed high mounting the lights on his reef builders youtube channel.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back