Innovative Marine - Filter Sock or Media Basket?

Austin Lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

What are you using as filtration for your Innovative Marine tanks? Is there any benefit to the filter baskets?

Right now I am just running two filter socks, but I get the feeling they might be raising my nitrates since I keep testing high. Anyone run the media baskets? If so, what's your experience and what do you have in the basket?

cojo8888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 30l with live sand live rock also doing biopellet on innovative marine media reactor + dc skim skimmer on left. On right side I have in tank filter floss with rowa gfo and redsea carbon bags. On the bottom I have bag of marine pure ball and next chamber is in tank refugium basket with cheato with innovative marine refugium light. I'm happy because I can over stock and over feed and still never exceed 10+ nitrates.

Icylder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ended up going with the In-tank filter floss holder + 50 micron filter floss. Paired it with an IM media reactor and media from BRS. Much more effective use of media and way more convenient to swap things out this way.

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I only have seachem matrix, chemipure elite and purigen. Got baskets both sides. I plan to have chaeto in one of them soon as well.

coreyisag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter basket with little filter floss on top and a bag of carbon below or a bag of chemi pure

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the IM baskets with Chemi-Pure Blue on top and just filter pads and I think it doesn't catch much detritus compare to filter socks.
I might switch back to filter socks with Chemi-Pure Blue.

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have InTank media baskets. Excellent for housing bio media and swapping filter floss is a breeze.

TJ Merrells

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need to waste your money on a media basket but I wouldn't use the filter socks. My setup I have a bag of chemi pure elite on the bottom, then marine pure in mesh bags, some poly filter then filter floss and on top a coarse sponge cut to size to hold everything together.

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread here... how are people finding media baskets in the long run? I'm just setting up an IM 40 and leaning towards IM media baskets with filter floss on top and carbon, biomedia balls, etc. below. Any advice?

Tristan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread here... how are people finding media baskets in the long run? I'm just setting up an IM 40 and leaning towards IM media baskets with filter floss on top and carbon, biomedia balls, etc. below. Any advice?
The media baskets are nice. Easy to replace the filter floss, but because the top part of the media basket isn’t flush with the overflow, water easily overflows instead of going through the media basket itself.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back