OP
AfricanReefBoy

AfricanReefBoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like the skimmer? is it the midsize IM one? trying to decide between that and the tunze 9004. i will prob want to add a co2 scrubber also.
Sorry for the late reply. I don't really like this skimmer. It is the midsize IM. The only reason I am not going with the Tunze 9004 is because I have a HBO Refugium. I have heard way better things about the Tunze. I am thinking about getting CO2 scrubber also, I can't get my pH about 8 right now :downcast-face-with-sweat:. Either that or try to run an airline outside. How's your tank coming along?

OP
OP
AfricanReefBoy

AfricanReefBoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some coral shots...

Rainbow BTA
20230108_163158.jpg

Holy Grails and Rasta Torches
20230108_163022.jpg

Good Ole GSP
20230108_162947.jpg

Blue Raven Blasto Merletti
20230108_162844.jpg

PC Rainbow
20230108_162936.jpg

20230108_163627.jpg

quentin17110

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been out of the hobby for a couple years now. I kept a lot of my equipment and have finally decided it's time to jump back in. I started with the Innovative Marine Nuvo 20 AIO and have now upgraded it to the Innovative Marine Lagoon 50 AIO.

Equipment:
. 2 Radion XR15 Blue Gen5
. XHO Light Strips
. Overflow caddy with ChemiPure Blue and filter floss
. ATO
. ApexEL & WMX module
. Trident
. Innovative Marine Skimmer
. Innovative Marine Grow Light
. Hang Off Back Refugium
. Three MP10s
. Maxspect BioBricks
. Innovative Marine Return Pump
. 150 Watt Heaters (2)
. Fan

Fish List:
. Gem Tang
. Desjardini SailfinTang
. Splendid Fairy Wrasse
. Dusky Wrase
. Two Mocha Storm Clownfish
. Hermits, trochus and conch
. Urchin and sand sifting starfish

Coral:
. Couple torches
. Couple tester SPS ( birdsnest and PC Rainbow)
. GSP
. Blasto

Aquascape is pretty minimalist...

Please enjoy the progress and I always welcome any feedback. Thank you.

20230103_135854.jpg

20230103_135834.jpg

20230103_133957.jpg
Really like your setup, nice cable management with the apex

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some coral shots...

Rainbow BTA
20230108_163158.jpg

Holy Grails and Rasta Torches
20230108_163022.jpg

Good Ole GSP
20230108_162947.jpg

Blue Raven Blasto Merletti
20230108_162844.jpg

PC Rainbow
20230108_162936.jpg

20230108_163627.jpg
Just curious, you don't have any aggression between the Gem and the Desjardani? It doesn't look like you have many hiding places for them to get away from each other. I am not the Tang police, I have one Tang in this same tank myself, just interested in how it's working out.

OP
OP
AfricanReefBoy

AfricanReefBoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really like your setup, nice cable management with the apex
Much appreciated! I took a couple days just with the stand trying to to just run the wires. All off the bricks for the lights and wavemakers are mounted under the shelf with command strips and cable management clips for the wires.

OP
OP
AfricanReefBoy

AfricanReefBoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, you don't have any aggression between the Gem and the Desjardani? It doesn't look like you have many hiding places for them to get away from each other. I am not the Tang police, I have one Tang in this same tank myself, just interested in how it's working out.
Lol! Laughed at "I am not the Tang police"... :p ... I've definitely had a couple run ins with them. I plan to have these tangs for a while and they will hopefully go into every consecutively bigger build until I get to between a 200 and 300 gallon.

I like a pretty minimalistic scape so you are right, there is not a lot of hiding places. I have had good luck with tangs by doing a couple different things:

1. Introducing them at the same time when I can. So I try to buy them at the same time. ( that's what I did with the Gem and Desjardina, they still get on each other's nerves from time to time but no real fighting. Just raised fins. Then they sleep in the same spot together at night.)
2. If I can't introduce them at the same time, I try and make sure sure the one I'm introducing is much smaller than the ones already in the tank.
3. I use a specimen box to keep the new tang in for a week or so while everyone gets used to having them in the tank.

But it is going great with them now. And they are surprisingly good with new fish I introduce. I usually try to introduce several fish at a time so that if there is aggression, its spread out and not focused on one fish.

jimmypencil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the late reply. I don't really like this skimmer. It is the midsize IM. The only reason I am not going with the Tunze 9004 is because I have a HBO Refugium. I have heard way better things about the Tunze. I am thinking about getting CO2 scrubber also, I can't get my pH about 8 right now :downcast-face-with-sweat:. Either that or try to run an airline outside. How's your tank coming along?
It’s coming along, still in the ugly phase but I’m enjoying the tank so far. The skimmer is inbound so I’ll let you know how it goes.

OP
OP
AfricanReefBoy

AfricanReefBoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s coming along, still in the ugly phase but I’m enjoying the tank so far. The skimmer is inbound so I’ll let you know how it goes.
Definitely let me know what you think of it. I might have to switch my skimmer.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any issues with the MP10s not staying coupled? I have an IM 50 as well and was worried that since the glass is just a bit bigger than the spec at 10mm, that the MP10s might not work. Thanks!

OP
OP
AfricanReefBoy

AfricanReefBoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any issues with the MP10s not staying coupled? I have an IM 50 as well and was worried that since the glass is just a bit bigger than the spec at 10mm, that the MP10s might not work. Thanks!
Hey! I haven't had any issues with the MP10s so far. I tested it out a bunch of times (turning them off and on repeatedly) and they seem to be holding pretty solid. I did recently change the wetside on one and it is holding the best out of the three I have. I don't think that it will pe a problem for you.

jimmypencil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely let me know what you think of it. I might have to switch my skimmer.
been using the 9004 for a couple weeks now and i would definitely recommend it! started skimming day one and it fills the cup every 4-5 days. its not super quiet like some people said but its not obnoxious. i do have it in the first chamber on one side so thats another downside because i did get 2 intank baskets but so far i like the setup. i got the dc version on brs.

OP
OP
AfricanReefBoy

AfricanReefBoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What skimmer you going with?
I’m using IM Midsize skimmer. I used their desktop on my NuvoFusion20 for years. They aren’t the best but they will skim. I have two caddys and a HOB Refugium As well. @jimmypencil is using the Tunze 9004 and says it’s doing a great job. I may switch to that one.

OP
OP
AfricanReefBoy

AfricanReefBoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
been using the 9004 for a couple weeks now and i would definitely recommend it! started skimming day one and it fills the cup every 4-5 days. its not super quiet like some people said but its not obnoxious. i do have it in the first chamber on one side so thats another downside because i did get 2 intank baskets but so far i like the setup. i got the dc version on brs.
I like the sound of that. I may switch to that one. So far it seems to be handling the load but Im about to add more Fish. What’s your light cycle like?

jimmypencil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the sound of that. I may switch to that one. So far it seems to be handling the load but Im about to add more Fish. What’s your light cycle like?
i use the reef dudes ab+ on my xr30 g6 and im liking it. i have it at 30% rn and in the next few months im gonna try to raise it to 40% slowly. lights on from 9am-9pm and theres a 2.5 hour white high par period.

OP
OP
AfricanReefBoy

AfricanReefBoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use the reef dudes ab+ on my xr30 g6 and im liking it. i have it at 30% rn and in the next few months im gonna try to raise it to 40% slowly. lights on from 9am-9pm and theres a 2.5 hour white high par period.

I'm running the same schedule myself. I am running two XR15 G5 blues. I like the way is looks and the corals are responding pretty well to it. I am running it at about 30% right now myself and will slowly increase it to about 45% over the next two months. So far so good. I am really happy to hear things are coming along well for you!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back