Innovative Marine Mighty Jet 326 for IM Fusion 10 gallon? Too much pump?

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! Short question: I am setting up an IM Nuvo Fusion 10 gallon tank, I intend to keep this project simple, and I only plan on keeping some softies and easier to keep corals in this aquarium. I just set it up and installed the Mighty Jet 326 gph pump, and just looking at it I think this is going to be too much pump for this tank. I believe I have it on the lowest setting. Does anyone else use the Might Jet 326 on an IM Fusion 10 gallon, or is this pump too big for this tank?

Thank you for your help!

-FishFan

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi guys! Short question: I am setting up an IM Nuvo Fusion 10 gallon tank, I intend to keep this project simple, and I only plan on keeping some softies and easier to keep corals in this aquarium. I just set it up and installed the Mighty Jet 326 gph pump, and just looking at it I think this is going to be too much pump for this tank. I believe I have it on the lowest setting. Does anyone else use the Might Jet 326 on an IM Fusion 10 gallon, or is this pump too big for this tank?

Thank you for your help!

-FishFan

It may or may not solve your issue, but one thing to consider is adding a water deflector like the one from Hydor. Good luck!

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Thank you for the reply! I am not familiar with that deflector, but I will look further into it. I have decided against a Spin Stream as I've read that they can be noisy. But this pump is so powerful that it may be all I need with the right setup. I have an MP10qd I had planned on installing when needed, but would prefer to go without it since it would take up extra room in this small tank. Let me do some more research on that deflector, maybe it will fit my needs.

Thank you for your help!

-FF

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I'm still worried that this pump is going to be too strong for my tank, at least for soft corals. I learned that the minimum flow from this pump is about 174 gph, and that just seems like a whole lot for a 10 gallon softy tank. Hoping to reduce the flow further, I looked into the Hydor Flo deflector that Peace River mentioned above, and from what I've read it seems most prefer the IM Spinstream. That said, many complain that the Spinstream is loud. Does anyone have any experience with this Mighty Jet return pump in an IM Fusion 10 gallon or similar sized tank? Considering IM is now bundling this pump with the IM Fusion 10 tank, maybe I'm just over reacting? I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks for your help!

-FF

flchamp89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a lot of factors. One of the biggest is your rock work and coral placement. I run the pump in my nuvo 20 and have it turned down some. I have softies. The IM spinstreams work well as some one mentioned. I think you will be OK but may need to turn way down.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Thank you for the reply! I do have the pump on the lowest setting (1.1). I do not have my rock work 100% where I want it, so I had thought of that. I guess I’ll see how things go, but my initial feeling is this pump is too big for my tank.

Thank you for your help!

-FF

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update; I ordered the Spinstream today, I’m hoping it reduces effectively reduces the pump output, creates more random flow in the tank, and doesn’t click too badly.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks guys!

-FF

Jadams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should be good with the spinstream once added. That will lower the flow significantly

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Thank you for the reply! I really hope you’re right, do you have the Mighty Jet pimp and the Spinstream?

Thanks!

-FF

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the mightyjet on my IM10 and love the upgrade. I run it full speed in my setup.

Tank has one large ~6-7 lb rock with a ricordea, some zoas, large rock flower anemone and about 14 bubble tipped anemones. Everyhting in there is loving the extra flow :)

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Thank you for the first hand experience. Are you using the stock return nozzle or a Spinstream? And you’re not experiencing too much flow for your tank? Maybe I just need to strategically place my rock work.

Thank you again for the reply!

-Fish Fan

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Thank you for the first hand experience. Are you using the stock return nozzle or a Spinstream? And you’re not experiencing too much flow for your tank? Maybe I just need to strategically place my rock work.

Thank you again for the reply!

-Fish Fan
Stock return nozzel yes. Again, my tank is mostly for anemones so it may not work out the same for you that it is for me, but I like the pump in there

rf1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in my cycling 20 gallon fusion Peninsula , I added the Vivid random flow generator which really spreads the flow nicely.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, good to know. Maybe I’m just over reacting. I’ll see how things go with my final rock structure and the Spinstream nozzle, which should be here today, Thanks again for your help!

-FF

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update; I got the Spinstream yesterday and installed it and it does indeed cut the flow down, and seems to make the flow more random and turbulent as expect. But wow, it’s loud, lol! To me it sounds like there’s a small motor boat in the tank. I will give it some time to break in and see if the sound goes away, but if not I don’t see this as a long term solution. For what it’s worth, I’m over the top for quiet things, typically water and pump noises don’t bother me, but this Spinstream is on a different level. I guess we’ll see how it goes.

Thanks!

-FF

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats the beauty of Vivds RFG completely silent.
Yeah, the Spinstream is terribly loud, and I don’t usually complain about loud tank equipment. Could you provide a link to the RFG you’re recommending? I’m not familiar with Vivid Creative Aquatics.

Thank you!

-FF

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 35 53.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 36 55.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • None.

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.2%
Back