Innovative Marine Nuvo 30L Club/Index/Resource Thread

Nem0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
right now I have a DIY reef glass skimmer...thinking about upgrading to the Icecap k1. any good reviews on it? seems like its sold out in alot of places though.

Scubasteve11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like your skimmer? I may be looking for a skimmer upgrade because the one I have came with my second hand tank (i'm not even sure what it is) and it's not really impressing me.

Looking for options that will drop in to the inner chambers of the 30L and all I've really been able to find is the IM nuvoskim and just wanted to see what else people are using. Not interested in going the HOB route.
Being my first tank with a skimmer I don't have anything to compare it against but it's worked great for me so far. It's the loudest piece of equipment on my tank but I would think that's fairly standard with any skimmer?

It does take a small mod to fit in the 30l chamber. You have to file down the head of a plastic screw that's used to secure the mount to the skimmer base but it's not a big deal at all.

Happy with my decision so far but also thought about going with the nano EShopps (not sure ordered if the newest model fits) or Cad Lights like @VaporCounry.

Here's about 3 days of skimming....

IMG_20190609_142840.jpeg

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
InTank filter floss holder looks great and fits perfectly. I'm just going to put some Seachem matrix under the floss in a bag.
9fe84a5c420c02dc2a8337b7b93d34c4.jpg

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my Aquamax HOB 1 installed on my tank. The intake and output both fit into compartment 2. Here are a few pics so others can get an idea of how it fits.

bb808daae6a36cd4e80d56949c621842.jpg

e8407595cb0b1c93b6cab701946c9dbf.jpg

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut part of the black back screen off the tank. so the entire 2nd compartment is clear glass. I'm planning on actually just making the stand it comes with sit directly perpendicular, then screwing it onto a wooden board which would rest perfectly against the side of my wall. no need for screwing the board into the wall...the tank/spacing just worked out for me

Are you going to address the light spill or just let it be?

smilinteddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the Intank surface skimmer things and they are working well. It allowed me to raise the water height on my tank a bit. If anyone is looking to do that with a removable piece (no adhesive or anything needed so if you need to take it off later you can) this is a nice option.

It does make it so my screen top doesn't fit all the way down, but it can still cover the tank opening.
b96791ee934942ea520b5f36b1b8c26c.jpg
e0c0fd0f4fdd4001cf1918dbbaf4d518.jpg

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the Intank surface skimmer things and they are working well. It allowed me to raise the water height on my tank a bit. If anyone is looking to do that with a removable piece (no adhesive or anything needed so if you need to take it off later you can) this is a nice option.

It does make it so my screen top doesn't fit all the way down, but it can still cover the tank opening.
b96791ee934942ea520b5f36b1b8c26c.jpg
e0c0fd0f4fdd4001cf1918dbbaf4d518.jpg
Very cool mod! How are you liking the increased water level?

Nem0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not too sure yet. I haven’t set up the Fuge (tank is at school, I’m at home). I was messing around with it and if I press it to the glass there is 0 spillage of light. I don’t know if the heat will be too much though. If so, I’ll prob DIY a tunnel or something lol.

Also- to raise the water level I bought some EZ reefer water level adjusters. They clip onto the overflow and allow you to adjust the height so you can play around with the best water level. That should raise the overall display water by an inch or so, adding 1+ gallon. Only $15 shipped too!

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not too sure yet. I haven’t set up the Fuge (tank is at school, I’m at home). I was messing around with it and if I press it to the glass there is 0 spillage of light. I don’t know if the heat will be too much though. If so, I’ll prob DIY a tunnel or something lol.

Also- to raise the water level I bought some EZ reefer water level adjusters. They clip onto the overflow and allow you to adjust the height so you can play around with the best water level. That should raise the overall display water by an inch or so, adding 1+ gallon. Only $15 shipped too!
Did you get the ones from intank?

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

smilinteddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there an established device or diy solution to preventing light spill from the display tank to the back chambers? Maybe some sort of small divider wall that shades the back chambers from the display lights?

Does anyone else find that it's an issue? I'm worried about potentially getting things growing in the back chambers that I don't want simply because it is getting lit from light spill from the display portion.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there an established device or diy solution to preventing light spill from the display tank to the back chambers? Maybe some sort of small divider wall that shades the back chambers from the display lights?

Does anyone else find that it's an issue? I'm worried about potentially getting things growing in the back chambers that I don't want simply because it is getting lit from light spill from the display portion.
I can only think of two possible solutions.

A sump skirt or a sump cover.

Red Sea uses sump skirts on their AIOs. It just a piece of plastic that attaches to the false wall with clips. You would need to Diy.

A sump cover would just be a piece of plastic cut to the size of each chamber, and could be set on top. My SeaClear System II AIO used these. They would need to be custom or diy as well and take into account. The equipment used.

In general I feel light spill is not a big deal though.
9722e400fc9d1cefa60b8c04373f442f.jpg

Colin Adams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picking up my 30L tomorrow, glad to be joining this group!

Quick question, evaporation. How bad is it for people? I know several different factors play into this, just looking for a ballpark idea of how much, per day, per week, etc...

Thanks

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Quick question, evaporation. How bad is it for people? I know several different factors play into this, just looking for a ballpark idea of how much, per day, per week, etc...

Thanks
For me, the tank needs to be topped off every other day or you run into water level problems with the return pump. You might be able to get by every third day.

I see no reason to not use an ATO though. One of the best investments you can make for your tank.

smilinteddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, the tank needs to be topped off every other day or you run into water level problems with the return pump. You might be able to get by every third day.

I see no reason to not use an ATO though. One of the best investments you can make for your tank.
I have an ATO with mine and it looks like I'm going through about 1 gallon of water from my reservoir a week. It will vary for you depending on your temperature, humidity in your house, what you're running on the tank (lighting, powerheads, surface agitation, fans, etc)

Colin Adams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info! I am planning on an ATO, just thinking about the reservoir size I will need.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks
Link to your build thread?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 37.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back