Innovative Marine Nuvo 30L Club/Index/Resource Thread

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell from your photo--what do you mean by baffle? (newbie here)
You can see in the photos how high the water is in the back chambers pretty much--too high or too low?
Water in back chamber is 1 inch from the top.

Last edited:

smilinteddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking that too! They do hold on with the water pressure at the overflow but fall off alot when opening the cover. So the others for $15 might be the ticket!

Could someone help me figure out how to adjust my new IM Midsize skimmer (I've never had one before). This morning it was slightly bubbling out the top holes so I moved the cup up but its not skimming. Got it on Tuesday. See pics of where the level is now.

IMG_2116.JPG

IMG_2114.JPG

IMG_2112.JPG
It might also still be breaking in. Some skimmers and tanks take longer than others. I'd raise it up for now so you're not ending up with a cup full of water everyday and then in another few days work to dial it in.

smilinteddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How highs the water in the back chamber, it doesn’t come above the baffle does it? My ghost skimmer did this the first time I set it up until I realised my water level in the back was too high. I have a 1” drop now going in to the centre chamber.

18c7d2f2cadcbf90567ea8d51da1d4f8.jpg

Also just realised the skimmer needs a clean [emoji17]
Actually, looking at your pictures it looks like your water level might be kind of high in your back chambers.

You want the water level to be low enough that there is a "waterfall" over the walls to the middle chamber. If you don't have that i.e. the water level is higher than the wall that separates the chambers (the baffle) then your water level is too high. Remove some water until the water level in the middle return chamber is lower than the height of the baffle wall on each side and water is flowing over it in a little waterfall.

smilinteddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive my crude drawing, but it was the best I could do on my phone.

If your water level is too high, you won't get that flow over the baffles (walls) into that center chamber where your return pump is.
b5146260f7258ba7f3ec2b87acacc845.jpg

smilinteddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive my crude drawing, but it was the best I could do on my phone.

If your water level is too high, you won't get that flow over the baffles (walls) into that center chamber where your return pump is.
b5146260f7258ba7f3ec2b87acacc845.jpg
How this relates to the skimmer is that if your water level is above those walls, then it is most likely too high for your skimmer. You'll need to drop the water level or raise your skimmer.

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, looking at your pictures it looks like your water level might be kind of high in your back chambers.

You want the water level to be low enough that there is a "waterfall" over the walls to the middle chamber. If you don't have that i.e. the water level is higher than the wall that separates the chambers (the baffle) then your water level is too high. Remove some water until the water level in the middle return chamber is lower than the height of the baffle wall on each side and water is flowing over it in a little waterfall.
Thank you I took out some water-lets see what happens!

Buccal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beat me to it, yep the drawings exactly like mine now. About an inch waterfall to centre. That’s what fixed mine. [emoji3] smilinteddy is right too, could still be breaking in. Mine took about a week to produce anything good without bubbles. But then again mine is a ghost and supposedly takes ages to break in.

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a great choice! What's the skimmate like?

I updated the opening post to include your skimmer.

The skimmate was really good and dark for awhile. Lately it been a light tea colored though. I think that’s because I just finished a round of dosing vibrant though. Hopefully it will pick back up.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So everyone with AI primes over their 30L finds that it is enough light for high light stuff like anemones?

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So everyone with AI primes over their 30L finds that it is enough light for high light stuff like anemones?

Nems are definitely doable. Here is a picture of someone’s tank from the innovative marine tank owners group on FB. He also has the diffusers on which reduces the par 10-15%

094235011c225bc4e15b39e49425b52a.jpg

Buccal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would say so. Although I only have one AI Prime HD at the moment and only 3 softies it’s running nowhere near 100%. With 2 primes and more power usage in a shallow tank like the 30L I think there would be plenty of power for most things.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nems are definitely doable. Here is a picture of someone’s tank from the innovative marine tank owners group on FB. He also has the diffusers on which reduces the par 10-15%

094235011c225bc4e15b39e49425b52a.jpg
Exactly what I wanted to see.

I'm even running the same skimmer. That's pretty much my goal for the tank, is to look like that lol.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up swapping my Custom Caddy and InTank filter floss holder since the right side of the tank gets more overflow due to the powerhead. The allows my seachem matrix (under the filter floss holder) to get slightly less flow while increasing flow through my chemical media.

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up swapping my Custom Caddy and InTank filter floss holder since the right side of the tank gets more overflow due to the powerhead. The allows my seachem matrix (under the filter floss holder) to get slightly less flow while increasing flow through my chemical media.

So your running a media basket on one side and a floss holder on the other? If so that’s what I’m doing for the same reason. Seems like it works best.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is still doing well. Anyone have some suggestions for a replacement screen top? Should I modify my existing one or go with DD Jump Guard?

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you thinking of modifying it? I would love a door so i don't have to lift the whole thing every time I feed or dose!

Scubasteve11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of lids...

I added a small Yasha Goby this weekend and have found her sitting on the filter floss in the first chamber twice. She has to be squeezing through the overflow slots. Any ideas on how to make them tighter without restricting waterflow so it can't get through?

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you thinking of modifying it? I would love a door so i don't have to lift the whole thing every time I feed or dose!
Well I have the OG screen top with the thicker "mesh" and it reflects a decent amount of light off the top.

I was considering replacing the mesh with screen door material from the hardware store. I have not considered creating a door. I know that Octo Aquatics makes some great ones with doors but they are a bit pricey.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back