Innovative Marine Nuvo 30L Club/Index/Resource Thread

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Living in a Co-Op in Manhattan, I never worry about the water temperature being too low as the building keeps the units warm. I found that I always battle the high water temperature, especially the summer months. I used to run a fan 24/7 to try to get the water temperature down and noticed that my ATO reservoir emptied out very quickly... So here's my question. if you don't have this kind of issue, is there a reason why you wouldn't replace your mesh tank topper with a glass cover? Is it that horrible to have a glass cover for the 30L? do they even make a glass cover for the 30L?

I don't like glass because I am lazy. Glass needs to be cleaned regularly and to feed you need to lift the glass lid up. With mess there is no cleaning and I can feed flakes and pellets through the holes. Frozen food I put in a squirt bottle and point down between a hole to feed that.

jws0318

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received the intank sump cover for the tank today and I'm not impressed. It's a cheap plastic piece that is not even close to straight. I'm not sure if you can tell in the picture, but it dips down significantly in the middle:

IMG_20200826_131900.jpg

With the screen top on, it's even worse...not even close to level...see how the right side is not even touching the top:

IMG_20200826_132041.jpg

I will contact intank to see if I just got a bad one, but if this is representative of what the piece is supposed to be, I would not recommend it.

SmugglersReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received the intank sump cover for the tank today and I'm not impressed. It's a cheap plastic piece that is not even close to straight. I'm not sure if you can tell in the picture, but it dips down significantly in the middle:

IMG_20200826_131900.jpg

With the screen top on, it's even worse...not even close to level...see how the right side is not even touching the top:

IMG_20200826_132041.jpg

I will contact intank to see if I just got a bad one, but if this is representative of what the piece is supposed to be, I would not recommend it.
Wow, so sorry. I am not too fond of what I see either. It looks better on the intank website. I’m thinking someone needs to make a 1/2 inch black plexiglass cover with cuts outs in the back but I suspect something like that may cost $100 or more. I love your rock Scape.

SmugglersReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like glass because I am lazy. Glass needs to be cleaned regularly and to feed you need to lift the glass lid up. With mess there is no cleaning and I can feed flakes and pellets through the holes. Frozen food I put in a squirt bottle and point down between a hole to feed that.
It’s been a long time since I had a glass cover on a saltwater tank. I think there was a lot of salt creep or cleaning. Maybe you can get one of those customer acrylic ones although they are pricey.

SmugglersReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I might make one. I can have the black acrylic cut to order and glues it together. I would like it if it were shiny black. I don’t like the spillover from my LEDs to the filter compartments.

NOHtorious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love your aquascape. How much CaribSea Life Rock did you use? It looks like you mixed the Shapes and their regular life rock? I am thinking of ordering 20lb each plus a 20lb bag of sand. Do you think that would be too much?

jws0318

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I might make one. I can have the black acrylic cut to order and glues it together. I would like it if it were shiny black. I don’t like the spillover from my LEDs to the filter compartments.

I thought about doing that, but the acrylic isn't cheap, and I'm still playing around with equipment, so until I finalize that, the intank one will have to suffice.

jws0318

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love your aquascape. How much CaribSea Life Rock did you use? It looks like you mixed the Shapes and their regular life rock? I am thinking of ordering 20lb each plus a 20lb bag of sand. Do you think that would be too much?

Thank you-im really happy with how it turned out.

I ordered a 20lb box of CaribSea life rock which ended up being 5 good sized pieces. I used 3 of them.

I also ordered a box of Life rock Nano Arches (4 pieces) - I used 3 of them.

For sand, I used a 20 pound bag of CaribSea Arag-Alive special grade reef sand

JRAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish that In Tank cover looked better than that. thought about getting one but now will not. Would look better if black acrylic to match back of the tank, but that would prob cost more!

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

IMG_20200826_131900.jpg

IMG_20200826_132041.jpg

Check out my build thread for how i solved what you are attempting to do. I did not like the exposed filter area on the 30L either.

va_ill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone using a Radion XR30W with this tank? I've been trying to figure out the best setting for it...

NOHtorious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone using Current Orbit Marine LED light? They have a Black Friday Sale going on and I'm quite tempted. For Nuvo 30L, do you think 24" one is sufficient or get the 36" one? I'm not sure I need to edge-to-edge so thinking of saving some money by going with the 24" one? Any insight is greatly appreciated.

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone using Current Orbit Marine LED light? They have a Black Friday Sale going on and I'm quite tempted. For Nuvo 30L, do you think 24" one is sufficient or get the 36" one? I'm not sure I need to edge-to-edge so thinking of saving some money by going with the 24" one? Any insight is greatly appreciated.
I ran my 30 L withe the 36 orbit marine & it was okay. Easy to adjust & use but when I changed to 2 AI 16 had primes I saw a big difference in my corals. They are good starter lights.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have 36” currents on mine. It’s all softies and they are growing well.

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What level is your water line at in display? I bought an IM 30L second hand but the water is only just trickling down the overflow. Is this normal or does it sound like I need a new return pump?
Hello! I have the same issue, I just set up my twenty yesterday. I think it’s because the little caddy thing is right next to that baffle, the water isn’t flowing evenly over so it’s all choppy and makin’ noise. I took the caddy and moved it next to the weir so there’s space between the caddy and the baffle that leads into the return pump and it’s quiet again. Maybe try that and see if it helps? If that doesn’t help and the water level is low in your return pump chamber like someone said you may need to add a little water to it. After I put my hands in my tank it displaces the water, which makes it noisy, and I stop the pump then restart it and it balances out and stops making noise. Hope this helps! :)

Peter A

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy New Year everyone. I have been setting up and cycling my Nuvo Fusion 30L tank for the last 30 days. Now its ready for the first corals. I will start a build thread on it when I get a chance.

Since the tank is less than 30 gallons, I would like to get a HOB skimmer so that I can increase the water volume. I was leaning towards the Reef Octopus HOB or classic 100. What HOB skimmers are you using that fits?

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy New Year everyone. I have been setting up and cycling my Nuvo Fusion 30L tank for the last 30 days. Now its ready for the first corals. I will start a build thread on it when I get a chance.

Since the tank is less than 30 gallons, I would like to get a HOB skimmer so that I can increase the water volume. I was leaning towards the Reef Octopus HOB or classic 100. What HOB skimmers are you using that fits?
If you plan on doing periodic water changes, and don’t overfeed, you probably won’t need a skimmer. Initially, when I setup my 30l, I thought I wanted a skimmer (like my larger 75gal with sump), but didn’t like the look and found out it really isn’t necessary. Something to think about.

Peter A

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you plan on doing periodic water changes, and don’t overfeed, you probably won’t need a skimmer. Initially, when I setup my 30l, I thought I wanted a skimmer (like my larger 75gal with sump), but didn’t like the look and found out it really isn’t necessary. Something to think about.
Agree, but one thing I think the skimmer will add besides the increased water volume is increase gas exchange which can help with ph.

AirNairb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I just purchased the 30L and APS stand combo. For those of you with the APS stand, what did you do for the bottom? The bottom board that came with it is very flimsy. I was thinking of just cutting a piece of (ply?)wood to put under the bottom board to support things like an ATO as the stock board is way too flimsy for that.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 50 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back