Innovative Marine Nuvo 30L Skimmer Suggestions

TacticalReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer for my tank had the pump fail in December.

In January I emailed Innovative Marine asking if they had a replacement pump to which they said they did not have any in stock but were expecting some soon. I have looked at the shop page and followed up a few times since then and the response has always been something along the line of "They are on the way but we don't know when we are getting them".

So after over 4 months of not having a replacement pump I think it is time I just buy a new skimmer so I was hoping to get suggestions on suitable replacement skimmers.

legalizedreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running a Tunze 9004 on my nuvo 40. I think it fits in yours too (you have to sacrifice one of the overflows for this).

up until 3 days ago I would have said it produces too many micro bubbles, however it JUST broke in properly after about a month of use and the bubbles are gone. It’s been skimming effectively for a few weeks. I would recccomend a 9004 or a 9001 if you don’t have the room!

OP
OP
TacticalReef

TacticalReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running a Tunze 9004 on my nuvo 40. I think it fits in yours too (you have to sacrifice one of the overflows for this).

up until 3 days ago I would have said it produces too many micro bubbles, however it JUST broke in properly after about a month of use and the bubbles are gone. It’s been skimming effectively for a few weeks. I would recccomend a 9004 or a 9001 if you don’t have the room!
I'd prefer to keep both of my media baskets but I wonder if I can fit the 9004 in the return chamber

legalizedreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd prefer to keep both of my media baskets but I wonder if I can fit the 9004 in the return chamber
I believe you can, It just wasn’t an option for me. I’ve got my LED arm mount on there as well as my ATO sensor and a second pump in there feeding to my UV. I simply don’t have the room but you can probably make it work.
FWIW, I haven’t seen any downside in ditching my filter sock. I run my basket in the other overflow with floss and the water quality improvement from skimming I think outweighs the loss of the sock. Just my 2 cents

OP
OP
TacticalReef

TacticalReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you can, It just wasn’t an option for me. I’ve got my LED arm mount on there as well as my ATO sensor and a second pump in there feeding to my UV. I simply don’t have the room but you can probably make it work.
FWIW, I haven’t seen any downside in ditching my filter sock. I run my basket in the other overflow with floss and the water quality improvement from skimming I think outweighs the loss of the sock. Just my 2 cents
Now I just need to find one for a reasonable price lol.

The DC pump seems worth the extra money but $250 is a bit steep.

legalizedreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I just need to find one for a reasonable price lol.

The DC pump seems worth the extra money but $250 is a bit steep.
I couldn’t find a DC in stock so I went with the AC and I’m more than happy with it!

more on the return chamber thing… I looked it up and it sounds like the “Y” in your hose for the dual returns is in the way of where the skimmer needs to go, so people have had to run a second pump and have each pump feeding one return on either side of the skimmer. Not the worst idea anyways as having a second pump is good backup if one were to fail

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Icecap K1 nano in my 30L. There are a couple of threads on there about making them fit in the chamber. It’s a good skimmer and I like it a lot.

It is absolutely 1 million times better than the IM skimmer. You should check it out.

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Icecap K1 nano in my 30L. There are a couple of threads on there about making them fit in the chamber. It’s a good skimmer and I like it a lot.

It is absolutely 1 million times better than the IM skimmer. You should check it out.
Can you provide the links ?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back