Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion and the Random Flow Generator Nozzle

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've been getting a lot of questions lately about how to add the Random Flow Generator™ Nozzle to an IM Nuvo Fusion series tank so we thought it might be a good idea to drop a small primer on how to add the RFG to your build.

To add an RFG nozzle to your IM Nuvo you'll need both a Slip-Fit Drop adapter and the 1/2in RFG nozzle for each outlet.

innvoative-marine_IM19050-Assembly.jpg

The Slip-Fit-Drop Adapter is available in two sizes: 16mm and 19mm. The size you need will dependent on the model tank you have. In general, if you have a Nuvo 10 gallon you''ll need the 16mm to 1/2in Adapter, while the rest of the tanks in the Nuvo/Fusion series use the 19mm adapter.

IM-Slip-Fit-Drop-Adpaters.jpg

This is almost always true, however, some of the Concept series tanks will also use the 16mm adapter, so the easiest way to tell is to look at the stock fitting:

Innovative-Marine_retun-line_sizing.jpg

Installation is very easy and should take just a few minutes.
  • Remove the stock nozzle - it just slips off to reveal the inlet pipe.
  • Assemble the 1/2in RFG nozzle to the the Slip-fit-Drop adapter
  • Attach the assembly to the outlet pipe.

RFG-IMSFD_Overview.jpg
Once you have the adapter and RFG nozzle installed it should look something like this
IM1605_0938.jpg

With the Random Flow Generator™ Nozzle you can now crank the return pump up and start creating a more nature flow environment. Here'a and example of what a single RFG nozzle with a Sicce 1.0 pump can accomplish in an Innovative Marine Fusion 20 Peninsula

The stock pumps that came with you tank will work but the RFG but an upgrade pump will yield even better results. A good choice is to go with Innovation Marines own MightyJet DC pump. it's controllable and can provide enough flow to drive two 1/2in RFG nozzles.

You can find the Nozzle and adapters at most of your favorite online retailers such as Bulk Reef Supply, SaltwaterAquarium.com, Charterhouse Aquatics and many others.

You may also be able to find them at your local fish store:
https://vividcreativeaquatics.com/where-to-buy/

And of course you can also find them directly at:
https://vividcreativeaquatics.com/product-category/aquairum-specific/innovative-marine/

If you have any questions, please post below and we'll be happy to help.

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the overall length of the adapter and RFG?
sorry or the slow response, here's little graphic that shows the size

the 19mm slip-fit adapter with the 1/2in RFG is basically the same size as the stock flare nozzle fitting

1579371674615.png

MyCrayonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So only the IM 10gal needs the 16mm and the rest of the size in the series will need the 19mm, and either way all of the IM Nuvo series take the 1/2 RFG? I actually have afew different sizes of the IM Nuvo tanks, the biggest thing that has stopped me from grabbing them was alot of reviews I read claimed when they recieved both parts they couldn't get them to fit, either one part was to small or to big. Kinda why I wish my LFS carried them so I could atleast connect them in store and know I wouldn't have to return it via mail, assuming BRS or Marine Depot take returns on 3D printed parts.

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So only the IM 10gal needs the 16mm and the rest of the size in the series will need the 19mm, and either way all of the IM Nuvo series take the 1/2 RFG? I actually have afew different sizes of the IM Nuvo tanks, the biggest thing that has stopped me from grabbing them was alot of reviews I read claimed when they recieved both parts they couldn't get them to fit, either one part was to small or to big. Kinda why I wish my LFS carried them so I could atleast connect them in store and know I wouldn't have to return it via mail, assuming BRS or Marine Depot take returns on 3D printed parts.

You are correct on the adapter sizes for the Nuvo Fusion series - the 10-gallon is prerty much the only one that uses the 16mm adapters - with the exception of a few of the more obscure concept tanks. The rest will use the 19mm slip-fit-drop adapters with the 1/2in RFGs.

If anmyone ever have any issues with our products - the easiest way to deal with is to to reach out directly to us, regardless of where you purchased it - we are always happy to help and get things corrected, if need be. With that said, all of our online vendors (BRS and Marine Depot included) do take back returns on our products.

As for the two Slip-Fit Drop adapters and 1/2in RFGs, they do fit pretty tight, and in some cases require a bit of force to make all the connections. Again, if you have trouble puting it all together, we are alwasy happy to help :)

RFG-IMSFD_Overview.jpg

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will the 20mm metric nozzle fit? That way I don't have buy an slip-fit drop adapter?
Unfortunately, no it wont - it would be off by just a smidge.

if you want to avoid the Slip-Fit-Drop adapter, the stock slip fitting is 1/2in Loc-Line compatible. So you can connect the RFG Nozzle and 1/2in Loc-Line directly to the stock fitting.

However, with the nozzle directly to the stock fitting, it will likely sit too close to the surface and thus suck in air. That's the purpose of the slip-fit-drop adapter.

Adding Loc-line between the stock adapter and the RFG will allow you to drop the nozzle below the water line, but you'll need at least 2 segments. More if you want to angle the RFGs more than just forward facing.

If you goal is to keep it as clean as possible then Slip-Fot Drop adapter with the 1/2in RFG is probably the better option, as it's takes up no more room and is basicly the same overall length as the stock Flare nozzles.

Saluki2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the RFGs on my Nuvo 20 and wondering if I need to upgrade the flow from the stock MightyJet? I have the 326...should I move up to the 528?

Its a Euphyllia tank...no SPS.

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just got the RFGs on my Nuvo 20 and wondering if I need to upgrade the flow from the stock MightyJet? I have the 326...should I move up to the 528?

Its a Euphyllia tank...no SPS.
The larger MightyJet gets the flow going pretty good through 2 nozzles. Just be sure to NOT use the smallest connector to your tubing when you set it up. That will slow things down quite a bit. The medium one is snug, but gets things going much faster.

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI - @Vivid Creative Aquatics I have the new IM Fusion Pro 2 10g AIO and the 16mm adapter does not fit over the return nozel. I ended up just connecting the 1/2 nozel directly to the locline that came with the tank.
Thanks for the heads up - We suspected there where changes but had not been able to 100% confirmed it yet, since we have not seen one of these newer tanks in person. They don't do trade shows anymore, and that is where we would usual see their newest models.

But, to our knowledge the original visual sizing method should still work. At least according to the images we have seen of the udpated 10-gallon Nuvo tank

1651537648789.png

I know the RFG has always been directly compatible with the stock push-fitting of the Nuvo Series tanks, but in the past, the inlet was too high up and would leave the RFG slightly out of the water. This is what our Slip-Fit-Drop adapters where designed to get around.

1651537798478.png
Does the new new version of have the inlet(s) set lower or are you able to just adjust water level heigh enough with the new waterline adjustment ?

Also - since this tank is now 1/2in Loc-Line compatible (the previous version was not) , it is now directly compatible with our new Ultimate Nano Tank Return Line Upgrade kit with the dual 1/4in Random Flow Generator® Nozzles - without an adapter!

That's big news!

1651538032213.png

1651538317315.png

swilliams2207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Vivid Creative Aquatics I think both? I don’t have experience with the older model but the 19mm image referenced above is what my return setup looks like. I just measured the outer diameter of the clear return tube on the tank and it’s 19mm. The tank comes with a splitter with two heads and lengths of locline. You could get away with a two pack of your end fittings and be all set.

Below is my water level. I’m not using the water adjustment piece supplied so technically it could be higher. I’d guess I’m running it at the standard height per their recommendations. The only thing I’ve noticed so far is some slurping of air from the top of the water line. It seems to be sucking in a funnel of air from the surface where the head connects. It’s an inch below the surface which is surprising. Pic attached of each. Hope this is helpful. I could probably use the bigger 19mm elbow to fix this…

2C0617FD-374E-43EB-BCF2-E81646BDB565.jpeg

821FF677-50D2-401A-972B-CC5EF0B321D5.jpeg

2C0617FD-374E-43EB-BCF2-E81646BDB565.jpeg 821FF677-50D2-401A-972B-CC5EF0B321D5.jpeg

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a full inch below the water lien should be enough depth, but in cases with high supply-side flow and sharp angles it can have the effect of interfering with the RFG nozzle's ability to randomize - this can then causes one of the internal chancels/educators to stay active longer than it should, which intern creates the conditions where that vortex form the surface is formed.

You may be able to solve this issue by simple adjusting the angle of the RFG on the connection as shown below

1651594847394.png

The Drop Adapter would also help with this, or even a single segment of Loc-line between the stock fitting and the RFG.

Here's a quick-start guide that can help you understand the best way to angle the RFG
RFG-Installation-Guidlines-1.jpg

And here is an image image that shows the angles of the RFG when installed with the Slip-Fit-Drop adapter.

RFG-IMSFD_Overview.jpg

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, @Vivid Creative Aquatics can you confirm which set up is used on the Fusion 15? IMs website doesn’t have the manual for some reason I can’t grab the locline specs.
So sorry for the late response - not sure how I missed it.
We actually just setup that same tank on our Nano Row, and even did a quick video.

You have two option for this tank - a dual 1/4in or a single 1/2in RFG paired with a 19mm Slip-Fit Drop adapter

You'll find both of those items here:

Personally, I like the a single 1/2in RFG nozzle with an upgrade pump of at least 300 GPH or more. With that setup, you won't even need a powerhead.

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry for the late response - not sure how I missed it.
We actually just setup that same tank on our Nano Row, and even did a quick video.

You have two option for this tank - a dual 1/4in or a single 1/2in RFG paired with a 19mm Slip-Fit Drop adapter

You'll find both of those items here:

Personally, I like the a single 1/2in RFG nozzle with an upgrade pump of at least 300 GPH or more. With that setup, you won't even need a powerhead.

Thanks! Yes, I've got the upgraded 326GPH mightyjet on the way, so I will give the single RFG a shot. Much appreciated!

jor8888

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does this work with Nuvo 15 i like the orange color ?

- Limited Edition Ultimate Deskmate Flow Kit​

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does this work with Nuvo 15 i like the orange color ?

- Limited Edition Ultimate Deskmate Flow Kit​

It will - you would just would just need to pop-out the pre-installed 16.5mm adapter. its a flex-adapter so it is very easy to remove.

Also, optional you could add a 19mm Slip-fit-drop adapter for a super clean look. But it is not a requirement for the kit to be compatible.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back