Innovative Marine NUVO Fusion Pro 2 40g Long AIO Build

.Marshall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I am also in the process of getting everything for my IM 40L before I start cycling. I bought the Tunze Comline DOC Skimmer 9004 but I measured the rear sump and I don't think it fits. I haven't opened the box yet because I want to be able to return it to BRS without being charged their open box restocking fee. Could you confirm? Thanks.

Following along.. starting an IM 40L build as well!

Ahen12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the setup. I just ordered my IM 40L last week. I’ve got a question if you don’t mind?
How tall is the bottom portion of the stand below the shelf? I want to purchase an ATO reservoir but I can’t seem to find the dimensions off the stand online.

Additionally, how is the return pump? I was thinking about putting in 2 separate return pumps to free up the space from the Y split hose in the middle chamber perhaps to fit a protein skimmer.

OP
OP
slowwrx137

slowwrx137

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love the setup. I just ordered my IM 40L last week. I’ve got a question if you don’t mind?
How tall is the bottom portion of the stand below the shelf? I want to purchase an ATO reservoir but I can’t seem to find the dimensions off the stand online.

Additionally, how is the return pump? I was thinking about putting in 2 separate return pumps to free up the space from the Y split hose in the middle chamber perhaps to fit a protein skimmer.
The interior dimensions of the stand are: Length 32.12” Width: 15.2” Height: 33.75”. The shelf is infinitely adjustable so you can put it where you need to to accommodate your ATO reservoir. I ended up buying the Innovative Marine 5 gallon ATO reservoir during Black Friday and it fits perfectly.

IMG_4986.jpg

The return pump seems pretty good but having the Y in the plumbing causes you to lose some space in the middle chamber. Using 2 return pumps makes sense depending on what skimmer your trying to fit in the back.

Ahen12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The interior dimensions of the stand are: Length 32.12” Width: 15.2” Height: 33.75”. The shelf is infinitely adjustable so you can put it where you need to to accommodate your ATO reservoir. I ended up buying the Innovative Marine 5 gallon ATO reservoir during Black Friday and it fits perfectly.

IMG_4986.jpg

The return pump seems pretty good but having the Y in the plumbing causes you to lose some space in the middle chamber. Using 2 return pumps makes sense depending on what skimmer your trying to fit in the back.
Is that the IM 5 gallon ATO reservoir in the picture?

thanks for the response

MenacerX686

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added water a week after you and I even put in a 3 pound live rock from my fully cycled Fluval 13.5 but my nitrites are still very high. I've done a 10% water change but that did not help lower the nitrites. I may have added too much Dr. Tim's Ammonium Chloride. I plan on doing another 10% water change today and continue adding drops of AquaForest Bio S nitrifying bacteria. Hopefully it will be fully cycled next week.

OP
OP
slowwrx137

slowwrx137

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I added water a week after you and I even put in a 3 pound live rock from my fully cycled Fluval 13.5 but my nitrites are still very high. I've done a 10% water change but that did not help lower the nitrites. I may have added too much Dr. Tim's Ammonium Chloride. I plan on doing another 10% water change today and continue adding drops of AquaForest Bio S nitrifying bacteria. Hopefully it will be fully cycled next week.
I used the Dr. Tim's Ammonium Chloride to cycle as well. I dosed it based on the amount of water I added vs using the 40 gallon tank capacity so I may have under dosed compared to you (probably 30ish gallons).

I did about a 20% water change between Wednesday and Thursday morning, retested this morning after adding everything yesterday and everything looks good so far.

I did buy another bottle of the Dr. Tim's Bacteria that I'm going to add just to be safe.

Ahen12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did it take to cycle your aquarium using Dr Tim’s and the Ammonia Chloride?

I ordered Dr Tim’s one and only with the Ammonia Chloride and plan on pre cycling my rocks while I wait for my tank to arrive.
20lbs of Caribsea life rock shapes in a food grade bin.

OP
OP
slowwrx137

slowwrx137

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How long did it take to cycle your aquarium using Dr Tim’s and the Ammonia Chloride?

I ordered Dr Tim’s one and only with the Ammonia Chloride and plan on pre cycling my rocks while I wait for my tank to arrive.
20lbs of Caribsea life rock shapes in a food grade bin.
It took about 4 weeks to cycle using the Dr. Tim's and the Ammonia Chloride.

I noticed a small Nitrite spike after I added the fish so I did a water change and added another bottle of Dr. Tim's just to be safe. Everything is looking good so far since then.

carguy4471

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking of ordering one of these tanks here soon. I have a couple of questions for those using it.

The first is on filtration. There are a few options and I’m curious what route everyone else is going. The options:

-Filter basket
-Filter roller
-Filter sock
-UV sterilizer
(Can only pick two of the above)
-Protein skimmer

Which are you using or planning on using?

What are you using for lights? I’m planning on two AI prime 16’s. Does anyone know which arm will get me about 10” above the water (BRS recommended height)?

Lastly, what are you doing for powerhead(s). I was initially thinking I was going to need two AI Nero 3’s. Would one be sufficient for this tank?

Thanks all!! Looking forward to the progress on this build!

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. Planning to order this tank too for end of Feb shipment!

My understanding for filtration is that 2 nuvo fleece rollers fit + Nuvo skimmer next to right sode fleece roller + 2 might jet pumps + temp heaters in chamber next to left fleece roller. That right?

OP
OP
slowwrx137

slowwrx137

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m thinking of ordering one of these tanks here soon. I have a couple of questions for those using it.

The first is on filtration. There are a few options and I’m curious what route everyone else is going. The options:

-Filter basket
-Filter roller
-Filter sock
-UV sterilizer
(Can only pick two of the above)
-Protein skimmer

Which are you using or planning on using?

What are you using for lights? I’m planning on two AI prime 16’s. Does anyone know which arm will get me about 10” above the water (BRS recommended height)?

Lastly, what are you doing for powerhead(s). I was initially thinking I was going to need two AI Nero 3’s. Would one be sufficient for this tank?

Thanks all!! Looking forward to the progress on this build!
I've been using the Filter Sock on one overflow and have my skimmer in the other overflow. This could change in the future but so far it's been working pretty well for me. I also do small weekly water changes (3ish gallons).

I'm using the 18" flex arms for my AI Prime 16's but they came as part of a package I bought. I probably would have went with one of the shorter options if I were to do it over.

I'm using 1 Nero 3 and it seems to be plenty for right now. Maybe start with 1 and add another in the future if needed.

OP
OP
slowwrx137

slowwrx137

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following. Planning to order this tank too for end of Feb shipment!

My understanding for filtration is that 2 nuvo fleece rollers fit + Nuvo skimmer next to right sode fleece roller + 2 might jet pumps + temp heaters in chamber next to left fleece roller. That right?

3293586720.jpg

With the 40L you actually have 5 chambers. I think the fleece rollers fit in either of the two ends, the Nuvo skimmer should fit in either of the second chambers, and the return pump is in the middle.

I have my skimmer in one of the overflow chambers because that's the only place it'll fit. I read mixed reviews on the Nuvo skimmer so went with Tunze instead.

This is the first I've heard of the fleece roller though, I might have to look into it vs changing out filter socks.

carguy4471

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the Filter Sock on one overflow and have my skimmer in the other overflow. This could change in the future but so far it's been working pretty well for me. I also do small weekly water changes (3ish gallons).

I'm using the 18" flex arms for my AI Prime 16's but they came as part of a package I bought. I probably would have went with one of the shorter options if I were to do it over.

I'm using 1 Nero 3 and it seems to be plenty for right now. Maybe start with 1 and add another in the future if needed.

Good info, I really appreciate it!

Do you know how high your lights are off the water with the 18" arms?

Isn't the skimmer "designed" to go into one of the second chambers? This is actually really great if it works well in the first chamber as it opens up a couple more setup options for folks.

OP
OP
slowwrx137

slowwrx137

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good info, I really appreciate it!

Do you know how high your lights are off the water with the 18" arms?

Isn't the skimmer "designed" to go into one of the second chambers? This is actually really great if it works well in the first chamber as it opens up a couple more setup options for folks.
I just measured for you, they're about 13" above the water right now but I could lower them if needed so you might have more adjustment with the 18".

The Innovative Marine skimmer is designed to fit in the second chamber. I read mixed reviews about it so I went with the Tunze 9004 instead. It seemed to be rated a little higher as far as bio-load as well. The only chamber I could get it to fit in was either of the overflows. It seems to work though and its skimming really well now.

carguy4471

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just measured for you, they're about 13" above the water right now but I could lower them if needed so you might have more adjustment with the 18".

The Innovative Marine skimmer is designed to fit in the second chamber. I read mixed reviews about it so I went with the Tunze 9004 instead. It seemed to be rated a little higher as far as bio-load as well. The only chamber I could get it to fit in was either of the overflows. It seems to work though and its skimming really well now.

Thanks for the measurement. If one were to use math on mounting height: with a 10" radius (height over water), 1/4 of the circumference would be 15.71" roughly. Since they only make a 12" and 18" arm... 12 is too short. Using the 18" and lowering it a little is the route to go unless one wants to use their HMSSA arm. 13" isn't a bad height though, if one likes the flex arms that's the one to get according to the numbers.

I think on my IM 20 I ran the eshopps nano skimmer. That one did fit in the second chamber on the 20. Since I haven't started ordering any kit yet I'm just making lists of what fits, what doesn't, what folks like, etc. The Tunze skimmer gets good reviews so it's staying on the list. And having it in the first chamber may not be a bad thing at all. According to a lot of info out there if you are exceedingly diligent about keeping your upstream mechanical filtration clean you reduce skimmer effectiveness. Mechanical on the opposite side of the skimmer could prove to be a more effective setup.

MenacerX686

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both the 12" and 18" arm and can confirm that the 12" was about an inch short from being above the center of the display part of the tank when bending it to be at the 8" above the water line. The 18" is too long so when the light is at the center of the depth of the display part, I had to bend the arm back down. The curve is showing above the light when viewing from the front so up to you if you would rather be an inch short of center or the arm curve can be seen above the light.

carguy4471

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both the 12" and 18" arm and can confirm that the 12" was about an inch short from being above the center of the display part of the tank when bending it to be at the 8" above the water line. The 18" is too long so when the light is at the center of the depth of the display part, I had to bend the arm back down. The curve is showing above the light when viewing from the front so up to you if you would rather be an inch short of center or the arm curve can be seen above the light.

Excellent info, and just about what I expected. For proper height on this tank if you want a flexible arm the 18" is the way to go but you'll have to lower the light down from the top of it's range. Probably not a big deal for most.

I appreciate you confirming this.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 131 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back