rd62rdstr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trigger Systems V2 motor going in
Trigger gave me a good break on the Platinum Motor Controller V2 because of the misunderstanding during the recent purchase. I hadn't used it yet until today but believe it will be a good improvement over the V1 because even in my short time of use I noticed the float switches gumming up and sticking a bit. The newer motor is reportedly more powerful too. And the motor stuck and fleece level 0-10v notifications to Hydros are nice to have too.

Since I had to virtually disassemble to fleece filter anway to get the starboard mounted on the left side of the stand I figured now was as good a time as any to install the new motor. Snapped a couple pictures before disassembling as a reminder. Worst part of disassembly was probably fleece chamber float switches. They had to be removed from the mount, unscrew a small cable guide and individually fished through a small opening on the opposite side. Took forever after to unpack the V2 motor as it was packaged well enough to survive armageddon. Then found the Trigger manual did an excellent job describing configuration and function of the upgraded motor but was a little lacking on the physical installation. Recalled seeing a podcast from Derrick Picker of the Reef & Reptile Automation Facebook group. Followed the video and worked my way through the configuration and installation. Plan on eventually controlling via Hydros similar to my own Klir but for the time being used the Trigger optical sensors. Ended up using all three sensors with fleece being on if sensor 1 or sensor 2 are wet and off if sensor 3 is wet. Sensor 1 and sensor 2 were placed inside the fleece chamber. Sensor 3 was placed elsewhere in the sump as a high level sensor to prevent fleece from advancing if sump is high. The only real tricks to the installation were keeping track of which sensors were which as they are not permanently connected to the motor and remembering to mount them with the sensor point facing upward. Note that they also are not your typical 3.5mm stereo connectors but rather something slightly smaller and shorter in length.

20230321_155807.jpg
20230321_161800.jpg
20230321_161517.jpg
20230321_163222.jpg
20230321_171949.jpg
20230321_175110.jpg
20230321_180452.jpg
20230321_180505.jpg
20230321_182850.jpg
20230321_190011.jpg
I installed mine last night. Went from 100% roll to 54% by this morning. Running on sensors. Realized now that they have to face up. Question, does it matter which sensors are connected in which hole? I have main 2 and 3 holes I believe. Should low sensor be main, high sensor be 2… etc? Also not sure where my settings should be on the programming. Didn’t receive an instruction manual. Saw a video on YouTube but they didn’t mention any of that.

OP
OP
T

thom_smith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I installed mine last night. Went from 100% roll to 54% by this morning. Running on sensors. Realized now that they have to face up. Question, does it matter which sensors are connected in which hole? I have main 2 and 3 holes I believe. Should low sensor be main, high sensor be 2… etc? Also not sure where my settings should be on the programming. Didn’t receive an instruction manual. Saw a video on YouTube but they didn’t mention any of that.

We did the same thing and burned through a fleece very quickly too.

The primary sensor should be in main. The other sensors you can choose to enable or disable and it doesn't matter which is placed where. In the sensor menu you choose if the roller is active when wet or active when dry. So I have the primary sensor in the fleece chamber in main, a high level (active when wet) sensor also in the fleece chamber in sensor2 and a high level (active when dry) sensor in my return chamber. This way if my return pump goes off or the sump is just abnormally high then we don't burn through and waste otherwise clean fleece. I found this video review by Derrick Picker more useful than the Trigger video for setup.

OP
OP
T

thom_smith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Really nice thread so far. The hydros stuff is awesome!

We had a few setbacks with parasites making it through observation and into the display so it has been fallow for a couple months. So very little activity. But picking up again. Some of the fish go back in this week and I'll be doing some more general tank updates and Hydros tutorials.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had a few setbacks with parasites making it through observation and into the display so it has been fallow for a couple months. So very little activity. But picking up again. Some of the fish go back in this week and I'll be doing some more general tank updates and Hydros tutorials.
Best of luck to adding the fish back in!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back