AI Nero 5

BelieveInBlue

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I've been thinking about upgrading the powerheads in my biocube from 2 Hydor Koralia 425s to something more powerful and controllable as my SPS are starting to grow in. I'd like to keep with 2 powerheads as I use them to generate turbulence/opposing flow.

I'm currently debating between 2 IM Wavelink 1500s or 2 Current USA E-Flux 1050s. I like that the Current USA ones can be attached to a single controller, but the IM ones have more max flow which is nice in case I decide that I want even more flow.

I looked into the Nero 3 but 2 of them would cost about $500 CAD, plus none of my LFS have it in stock at the moment so I would have to wait a few weeks.

If you have any thoughts or experiences with the 2 powerheads above I'd love to hear them. Alternatively, if you have any suggestions for around $300 CAD (~225USD) I'd love to hear it.

One alternative I thought of is to just get 1 new powerhead, and put the 2 hydor koralias on the same side.

World Wide Corals

HankstankXXXL750

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I've been thinking about upgrading the powerheads in my biocube from 2 Hydor Koralia 425s to something more powerful and controllable as my SPS are starting to grow in. I'd like to keep with 2 powerheads as I use them to generate turbulence/opposing flow.

I'm currently debating between 2 IM Wavelink 1500s or 2 Current USA E-Flux 1050s. I like that the Current USA ones can be attached to a single controller, but the IM ones have more max flow which is nice in case I decide that I want even more flow.

I looked into the Nero 3 but 2 of them would cost about $500 CAD, plus none of my LFS have it in stock at the moment so I would have to wait a few weeks.

If you have any thoughts or experiences with the 2 powerheads above I'd love to hear them. Alternatively, if you have any suggestions for around $300 CAD (~225USD) I'd love to hear it.

One alternative I thought of is to just get 1 new powerhead, and put the 2 hydor koralias on the same side.
I have no experience with those you mentioned, but I use the current DC return pumps in all my aquariums and for my UV’s. I think they are good pumps.
On the other hand I use the AI nero 3’s and 5’s in my tanks. I love the app and how much control I have of them. Solid, random etc. also has a feed setting as I kill all of my flow when feeding.
don’t know if the others have as many features?

OP
BelieveInBlue

BelieveInBlue

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I have no experience with those you mentioned, but I use the current DC return pumps in all my aquariums and for my UV’s. I think they are good pumps.
On the other hand I use the AI nero 3’s and 5’s in my tanks. I love the app and how much control I have of them. Solid, random etc. also has a feed setting as I kill all of my flow when feeding.
don’t know if the others have as many features?
No the two I mentioned definitely don't have as many features I don't think. I have a Current DC pump on my 90 gallon as well and it's been fantastic thus far, which is part of why I'm kind of leaning towards that.

Fragtacular After Sale

HankstankXXXL750

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
No the two I mentioned definitely don't have as many features I don't think. I have a Current DC pump on my 90 gallon as well and it's been fantastic thus far, which is part of why I'm kind of leaning towards that.
I think the currents are probable good based on their return pumps. I kinda get brand loyal like that. I know the Nero’s aren’t cheap, but I would still go that way if you can. Or like you said, get one nero and use the others on the opposite side. Then save up for the second Nero. Just a thought.
Otherwise I would read the reviews on the current and if no alarm bells get the currents.

OP
BelieveInBlue

BelieveInBlue

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I think the currents are probable good based on their return pumps. I kinda get brand loyal like that. I know the Nero’s aren’t cheap, but I would still go that way if you can. Or like you said, get one nero and use the others on the opposite side. Then save up for the second Nero. Just a thought.
Otherwise I would read the reviews on the current and if no alarm bells get the currents.
Honestly if either of the LFS around me had them in stock I'd get them but they're all out and I don't feel like waiting, especially since they don't know when they'll get more in.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
I have a Hygger mini (1600) on a small tank that has been fantastic. I run Jebao SLW on my larger and highly recommend them. I may try the MLW soon for the added controls.

Have heard of a number of people locally with Current wave maker failures. Seems the return pumps run well, but the smaller pumps aren’t as robust. YMMV.

No experience or reports with the IM pumps.

Tidal Gardens
OP
BelieveInBlue

BelieveInBlue

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I have a Hygger mini (1600) on a small tank that has been fantastic. I run Jebao SLW on my larger and highly recommend them. I may try the MLW soon for the added controls.

Have heard of a number of people locally with Current wave maker failures. Seems the return pumps run well, but the smaller pumps aren’t as robust. YMMV.

No experience or reports with the IM pumps.
How long have you had the Hygger for? Reviews on Amazon seem to be pretty good, though a lot of people report getting constant errors after a few months?

I also heard about the Current Marine wavemaker issues, though not locally so perhaps it was a regional or temporary thing?

Beau_B

Valuable Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
I would estimate 6mo. So I guess I'm still in the category of it could fail... but has been totally trouble free thus far. I haven't even cleaned it. Impressive amount of water moved in a tiny form factor.

OP
BelieveInBlue

BelieveInBlue

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I would estimate 6mo. So I guess I'm still in the category of it could fail... but has been totally trouble free thus far. I haven't even cleaned it. Impressive amount of water moved in a tiny form factor.
That's good to hear. They're pretty highly rated on Amazon so hopefully the error issue is rare. How large is the tank that you have the Hygger in and what kind of corals do you have in it?

OP
BelieveInBlue

BelieveInBlue

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
So I just got back from my LFS, and the people there confirmed that the Current USA wavemakers are often returned due to failures. Unfortunately they didn't have the Hygger ones nor the Nero 3 in stock and they don't know when they will get them, so I went with the Innovative Marine ones.

AI Hydra

Is there such a thing as an "easy" acro?

• YES (tell us about it in the thread)

Votes: 97 44.1%
  • NO

Votes: 49 22.3%
  • Not sure

Votes: 71 32.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 1.4%
Reef Brite the professionals choice