Inorganic and organic nutrients which one the more favourable to a system

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What will be the most beneficial type of nutrients for a reef aquarium organic or inorganic?

Looking at how ULN system work and other bacteria driven methods, I would think organic would be the most beneficial nutrients to have available although we can’t test at home for organic nutrient I also seem to think that in ULN system and other bacteria driven methods that the goal is to deplete inorganic’s and make organic nutrients more available for coral growth. Depleting inorganic to a point, there is many adverse results in having them fully depleted I believe.
I also seem to think that at the beginning of a aquarium maturing process inorganic nutrients may be detrimental to the system as there isn’t enough coral to assimilate those organic nutrients and nuisance algaes may take up the excess organic nutrient and grow drastically during those first months/years of a system.

From what I am aware we can only test for organic nutrients through ICP for phosphorus and N-Doc for Carbon and Nitrogen is there other ways to calculate phosphorus and nitrogen besides this two method?

And in addition what would be the best methods to lower organic nutrients in a system?
would macro algaes be the only reliable way to lower organic nutrients?
How could we be sure if testing isn’t easily available?

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought ULN systems were kind of on the way out...?
Personally I think they will never be fully out, ULN still attracts many, I believe we just have many versions of different ways achieve ULN

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I think they will never be fully out, ULN still attracts many, I believe we just have many versions of different ways achieve ULN
It seems like a lot of people are inadvertently running ULN systems by the sheer number of "what kind of algae is this" and "how do I treat this algae" posts.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like a lot of people are inadvertently running ULN systems by the sheer number of "what kind of algae is this" and "how do I treat this algae" posts.
I agree, I wouldn’t call them ultra low nutrient system though just “no nutrient systems” it fits the description of most tanks in those sections.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back