OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the same boat, I’d never want to have a tank look too crowded. If it were me, I would probably add 1 or 2 more medium sized fish such as a yellow tang, butterfly, or dwarf angel. The blue hippo would be your large centerpiece fish. You could even buy some more blue reef chromis to get that schooling effect without adding too much bio load. Just remember to do odd numbers. Then you can add some small gobies and/or a few wrasses
Well... I started out with six chromis (not in this tank), Jeff is the lone survivor. I don't really want to introduce more, even though they school and look great. I would like a yellow or a desjardini tang. Maybe a potters or coral beauty angel. What wrasses could I add that would not fight with my melanurus? I heard that it has to do with how many stripes they have.

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the same boat, I’d never want to have a tank look too crowded. If it were me, I would probably add 1 or 2 more medium sized fish such as a yellow tang, butterfly, or dwarf angel. The blue hippo would be your large centerpiece fish. You could even buy some more blue reef chromis to get that schooling effect without adding too much bio load. Just remember to do odd numbers. Then you can add some small gobies and/or a few wrasses
Butterfly fish scare me... I do not know that I could support one. I don't want them to starve.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... I started out with six chromis (not in this tank), Jeff is the lone survivor. I don't really want to introduce more, even though they school and look great. I would like a yellow or a desjardini tang. Maybe a potters or coral beauty angel. What wrasses could I add that would not fight with my melanurus? I heard that it has to do with how many stripes they have.
Cleaner wrasse, to be sure. I have a sixline currently with Mal, and they get along great. I also briefly had a red coris wrasse that also fared well (died due to an unrelated illness).

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great insight, thanks! I would rather hear from people that actually keep or have kept them together than someone just saying "oh, it will be fine".

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great insight, thanks! I would rather hear from people that actually keep or have kept them together than someone just saying "oh, it will be fine".
Apparently I have an atypical sixline wrasse, or at least one that isn’t a “terror” according to some. Maybe he hasn’t reached a**holehood yet. At some point I’ll probably add another wrasse or two, but I’m trying to focus on non-jumpers. The blue flashers are pretty, but overly dramatic. I didn’t have great luck with either of my leopards, either (they both just disappeared into the substrate one day - never to reemerge).

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently I have an atypical sixline wrasse, or at least one that isn’t a “terror” according to some. Maybe he hasn’t reached a**holehood yet. At some point I’ll probably add another wrasse or two, but I’m trying to focus on non-jumpers.
I have had a few fish reach a**holehood, that is for sure. lol

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah I forgot about your melanaurus. You might be able to get away with a leopard wrasse or maybe some fairy wrasses. The key will be to add multiple wrasses at one time. Both of those angels are good choices! If I had to pick between the desjardini and a yellow I would probably go yellow. The Desjardinis get much larger (although your tank is suitable) and they can get pretty aggressive.

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I have two dwarf angels with “Mal”. A coral beauty and a midnight along with a salfin tang. They all get along, but I do throw in a few rubber-banded seaweed rocks so they don’t have to share.
First world fish problems!!!

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah I forgot about your melanaurus. You might be able to get away with a leopard wrasse or maybe some fairy wrasses. The key will be to add multiple wrasses at one time. Both of those angels are good choices! If I had to pick between the desjardini and a yellow I would probably go yellow. The Desjardinis get much larger (although your tank is suitable) and they can get pretty aggressive.
If only I could find a yellow tang that wasn't stupid expensive... I considered a purple tang too. I think that the Atlantic wouldn't like either of those being introduced to the tank.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If only I could find a yellow tang that wasn't stupid expensive... I considered a purple tang too. I think that the Atlantic wouldn't like either of those being introduced to the tank.
Also forgot about how expensive the Yellows are haha. Still getting acclimated to new pricing since getting back into the hobby after two years. If you’re referring to your hippo tang, you won’t have any issues adding a Zebrosoma tang. Totally different shapes. Purple tangs are really nice but I don’t have much experience with them. I did have one that killed my Angel but honestly the tank was probably a little too small for me to have both.

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A female leopard may be a good fit.

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also forgot about how expensive the Yellows are haha. Still getting acclimated to new pricing since getting back into the hobby after two years. If you’re referring to your hippo tang, you won’t have any issues adding a Zebrosoma tang. Totally different shapes. Purple tangs are really nice but I don’t have much experience with them. I did have one that killed my Angel but honestly the tank was probably a little too small for me to have both.
I was referring to my Atlantic Blue Tang (Caribbean blue tang). What kind of angel was it?

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was referring to my Atlantic Blue Tang (Caribbean blue tang). What kind of angel was it?
Oh I didn’t realize you had one. I still think it would be fine with a zebrosoma. Atlantic’s are rather small and a zebrosoma can hold it’s own.

It was a Venustus Angel. Waited a year to find one and the tang killed it after about 2 weeks. It developed an infection and never recovered.

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I didn’t realize you had one. I still think it would be fine with a zebrosoma. Atlantic’s are rather small and a zebrosoma can hold it’s own.

It was a Venustus Angel. Waited a year to find one and the tang killed it after about 2 weeks. It developed an infection and never recovered.
Thanks for the info. I have some decisions to make...

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sixline in my current 75g. Added a melanaurus two weeks ago and the sixline beat the crap out of it. The melanaurus hid most of the day even during feeding. When it does come out, sixline chased it back and forth. I got lucky and was able to net the melanaurus out because it was so tired and stressed. Fins all torn up and super skinny. It is now fat and happy in my nano tank. When I upgrade to my 200g, I will be rehomiang the sixline and keeping the melanaurus.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 31 17.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 92 51.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.7%
Back