OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a full tank shot. I was trying to get all six fish in the same frame... If you look closely you can see all of them. This task was much harder than I anticipated. If anyone wants to see something that I have not shown yet, just let me know.
20210830_202014.jpg

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started this tank with Marco shelf rock that I had soaking in heated saltwater for over a year. I added a MarinePure block that I had in my other system for several months, I also added my two tangs right away. I have not experienced any "ugly stage". Perhaps I am jumping the gun here; but all of my previous tanks have all had some sort of ugly stage by now. I do not yet have good corallin coverage so obviously this system is still young. Hopefully you will all be able to see this through to a healthy system with no ugly stage... Hopefully I did not just jinks myself...

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for measuring it!! I will probably break down my rock structure and start over and make it shorter. I also forgot I loose a couple of inches of real estate because I have the INT.
Did you end up adjusting your rock structure? Any photos?

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... I started out with six chromis (not in this tank), Jeff is the lone survivor. I don't really want to introduce more, even though they school and look great. I would like a yellow or a desjardini tang. Maybe a potters or coral beauty angel. What wrasses could I add that would not fight with my melanurus? I heard that it has to do with how many stripes they have.
I have a yellow coris wrasse in with my melanarus they are peaceful, and the yellow coris adds some great color and movement.

Really enjoying your build, very nice work.

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow coris wrasse in with my melanarus they are peaceful, and the yellow coris adds some great color and movement.

Really enjoying your build, very nice work.
Thanks. I do like yellow coris. I was eyeing one of these black-backed wrasse too.

th-37550-wrasse.jpg

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next week will have some time. Here's my current scape. The first eagle looking rock is what I plan to redo

PXL_20210807_212251261.jpg
Haha, maybe you should go with a seabird. An eagle seams out of place.

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of lighting questions...

I have received a lot of interest in the lighting. I was going to post in my usual style where I included what I think people are interested in. However I thought that I would ask first. What do people really want to know or see. Is it schedule, spectrum, PAR numbers, equipment setup, everything? Am I leaving something/someone out? I was planing on doing a PAR map at the sand, top of the rocks, then about half way between the top of the rocks and the surface. I could do this at a few different intensity levels, or just the one that I feel gives the best balance. Let me know what you want to see. Thanks.

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
woh, what is that that? Looks like alevopora had sex with a zooanthid and then dressed up like bubble coral... lol
lol, I can neither confirm, nor deny, what happens in my tank.
It is a blue trumpet coral (Caulastraea furcata). I took the photo under blue light with a Hoya yellow K2 filter.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, I can neither confirm, nor deny, what happens in my tank.
It is a blue trumpet coral (Caulastraea furcata). I took the photo under blue light with a Hoya yellow K2 filter.
Based on wiki research, definitely looks like its ancestors had sex with something funky a few times, but i like it!!
Screenshot_20210903-001719_Google.jpg

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on wiki research, definitely looks like its ancestors had sex with something funky a few times, but i like it!!
Screenshot_20210903-001719_Google.jpg
Trust me, during the day she looks just like that. But she does not kiss and tell, so who knows.

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am reposting this from one of my posts on another forum. This is how I control the flow through my sulfur reactor and display the value on my controller dashboard. Very simple and effective.

Display and control your negative ORP values as positive ORP values within the Apex dashboard.​

Display and control your negative ORP values as positive ORP values within the Apex dashboard.
A lot of people want to interface their anoxic fluid readings with their Apex controller. Typically this would be controlled via an ORP type controller that is capable of displaying and/or controlling a device presenting a negative ORP value. I used the Milwaukee ORP controller for this. The only issue with this is that a "control freak" was not able to utilize this type of device within the Apex controller ecosystem, at least not natively. I have tested and confirmed that you can reverse the polarity of a negative ORP signal and input that signal into an Apex base unit or Apex PM1 module input designated as an ORP probe and use that reversed polarity input to display an accurate inverse ORP measurement. So using this method, it is possible to report negative ORP values into the Apex dashboard. The values will however be represented as a positive value. The Apex, or any other system, has no knowledge that the signal has been inverted. Using this method you can now have your anoxic reactor values displayed and controlled within the Apex ecosystem without complicated coding or purchasing additional control modules (not that negative ORP modules are available).

So how do you invert your existing ORP probe signal? What does that even mean?

To invert your ORP signal, we are basically stating that we are reversing the signal that is generated. We are changing a positive to a negative and changing a negative to a positive. For example an ORP of 352 would become -352. An ORP of -247 would become 247.

The current Apex system can display positive ORP values without any complications or issues.

As of now, the Apex ecosystem does not recognize negative ORP values, so we need to invert those values into positive values that the Apex can recognize and display. This will allow you to visualize a negative ORP value within the Apex ecosystem but as a positive value that Apex understands.

Yes. Negative values will be displayed as positive values. Don't like it? Well then keep on not having it. No worries.

To keep this in mind, I name my probe NEGORP, get it? Because the value displayed is indeed negative.

So how do we do this?

Well let's assume that you have zero electrical knowledge. Basically your ORP probe has two separate wires contained within the signal wire that is attached to it. One inner wire and one outer wire.

To reverse the polarity and allow this negative ORP signal to work we need to swap theses two wires and thus reverse their signal.

All that you need to do is to cut, splice, and solder together the wiring, but in reverse. This will provide you with a "negative ORP probe" that produces a positive ORP value within the Apex ecosystem... This is the "Free solution".

Ok, So we already established that you are not an electrical engineer, you need easier options... Well you are indeed in luck.

If soldering is not your thing, but you can use a small screwdriver... then you can use BNC to terminal adaptors from amazon if your prefer. Keep in mind that you will need both male and female adaptors if you chose this route. Attach the two wires between these adapters (reverse the polarity between the adaptors) and you are done. I would keep the length of the wiring between the BNC adaptors to a minimum to reduce any interference. This is an acceptable affordable solution.

So if soldering and screwdrivers are not an option, you can purchase BNC to banana plug adaptors, male and female, and simply plug them in backwards. The adapters are color coded red and black, to reverse the connection flip the connection so red goes into black and black goes into red. Plug them in and you are done. This is the most expensive option, but super simple.

Negative ORP displayed and controllable within the Apex system but as a positive value.

Please don't apply this information to anything but Neptune Apex and displaying negative ORP values as positive ORP values. I can not be held responsible for your assumptions or poor decisions.
Questions? Just ask.

The photo of the PM1 and versa are prior to my move; the set up is the same though. The Apex dashboard screenshots are current.

Attachments

• 20210105_204613.jpg
    20210105_204613.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 20210105_204625.jpg
    20210105_204625.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 20210105_204635.jpg
    20210105_204635.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 20210105_231900.jpg
    20210105_231900.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot_20210903-042122_APEX Fusion.jpg
    Screenshot_20210903-042122_APEX Fusion.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 63
  • Screenshot_20210903-042142_APEX Fusion.jpg
    Screenshot_20210903-042142_APEX Fusion.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 60
OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just sharing a quick photo.
20210903_013702.jpg
This photo under blue light with the yellow filter is the truest representation of the actual color. For comparison, I took a photo with no filter and a flash, and a photo with no filter and no flash. Here they are...

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some photos for reference. Blue light, no filter and with flash on. Blue light, no filter no flash. The pervious photo with the yellow filter is the best representation of the actual color.

Attachments

• 20210903_053723.jpg
    20210903_053723.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 20210903_053727 (1).jpg
    20210903_053727 (1).jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 75

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the interior width of the stand? The IM tech specs says 25". Is that exact? I plan to get a 20g high standard tank for my ATO and want to make sure it fits. The 20g high is about 24.5" wide.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back