Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. There are the ones that I purchased.

YIKESHU 10PCS TEC1-12706 Heatsink Thermoelectric Cooler Peltier Module 40 40MM 12V 60w

Could you just circulate cool water from your tap instead of chilling it with the peltier? I'm thinking like a big closed loop or something.

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you just circulate cool water from your tap instead of chilling it with the peltier? I'm thinking like a big closed loop or something.
Yes. Presuming that the ambient temperature would be around 55 degrees. However this would also require two three way electronic valves and another pump to fully automate. The cost may be prohibitive to implement both heating and cooling.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Presuming that the ambient temperature would be around 55 degrees. However this would also require two three way electronic valves and another pump to fully automate. The cost may be prohibitive to implement both heating and cooling.
Would it be cheaper to just use a second exchanger with a dedicated pump?

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be cheaper to just use a second exchanger with a dedicated pump?
Most likely yes. However the cold water cooling the tank will also be waste water unless you could come up with a storage solution for that water. The benifit of the electric cooling is that it doesnot produce any waste water and utilizes existing equipment. It dose cost additional electricity.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely yes. However the cold water cooling the tank will also be waste water unless you could come up with a storage solution for that water. The benifit of the electric cooling is that it doesnot produce any waste water and utilizes existing equipment. It dose cost additional electricity.
I guess I was envisioning a closed system that would circulate the tank warmed water back into the house lines, annoying everyone but me.

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I was envisioning a closed system that would circulate the tank warmed water back into the house lines, annoying everyone but me.
You really cannot mix the two. But you could cool the tank with a cold water storage tank that was taking water into the tank and then sending it to the house. But the tank would need to be stored in an ambient temperature that allowed for you to reduce your tank temp.

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the saltwater from the tank in direct contact with the titanium heat exchanger?
I realized that I did not address your question here.
Yes the salt water is in direct contact with the heat exchanger. The heat exchanger is a "tube and shell" style. The hot fresh water flows through several small tubes the run through the center of the outer tube. The salt water flows into the shell and around the outside of the inner tubes, then out the other side of the tube.

Here is an example of what they look like on the inside.
1652982163461.png

1652982175509.png

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they (zoas) scare you?
Zoa's do not scare me. Palys do. If any corals were going to grow out of control in this tank I want them to be stony corals. I actually do not have any soft corals in the tank at all now that I am looking.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoa's do not scare me. Palys do. If any corals were going to grow out of control in this tank I want them to be stony corals. I actually do not have any soft corals in the tank at all now that I am looking.
Can you post a full picture of the tank? I’m looking back like 5+ pages and nothing! We need to bump up the photography here!

Selfie Corn Rows GIF

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a full picture of the tank? I’m looking back like 5+ pages and nothing! We need to bump up the photography here!

Selfie Corn Rows GIF
Funny that you should bring that up. That was intentional. I am coming up on the one year mark since I added coral (not tester corals) to the tank. I have planed to do a one year reveal post to show all of the progress. That is why in my post here and elsewhere when I include a photo I will crop them to only show the subject of the post. If someone was really ambitious they could potentially put all of the pieces together. She does look good doesn't she?

It's coming I promise.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So…here is a big ask…

Would you consider filming a video tour of this system? No need for elaborate editing or fancy camera, just a cell phone video that shows the tank and (especially) the nitty gritty details of the systems you use to keep it running. I’d love to see the nuts and bolts of how you’re running things.

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So…here is a big ask…

Would you consider filming a video tour of this system? No need for elaborate editing or fancy camera, just a cell phone video that shows the tank and (especially) the nitty gritty details of the systems you use to keep it running. I’d love to see the nuts and bolts of how you’re running things.
Not a big ask. I can do that for you. I actually think I already have one that I sent to Melev. Give me a min to look.

OP
OP
Sean Clark

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20220526-192252_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220526-192221_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220526-192208_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220526-192242_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220526-192152_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220526-192141_Gallery.jpg

This is the video that I have which was only intended to show the rate of heat rise over time while in operation (not the setup). I'll get you a walk through. These are the same pics and video that I sent to Melev a while back.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back