Input need on clownfish breathing heavy

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. Thanks.

I think he now has swim bladder related issues. He is now swimming vertically , nose down tail up. Any recommendations for treatment?
There is no direct treatment for true swim bladder issues - there are other things that mimic this though. Most of those issues coincide with the fish also not eating though.
Jay

rortw1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown also has swim bladder issue for weeks now. I am pretty sure he has an underlying infection that I am trying to treat. Does good after 24 hour GC baths in 5 gallon bucket. Try to keep medicine going with soaked food but after 48 hours or so his appetite states to wane. His swim bladder issue has been present for over a month now. Not sure what else to do. Tried everything I know and have learned. How is your fish doing?

OP
OP

3D Reefin'

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown also has swim bladder issue for weeks now. I am pretty sure he has an underlying infection that I am trying to treat. Does good after 24 hour GC baths in 5 gallon bucket. Try to keep medicine going with soaked food but after 48 hours or so his appetite states to wane. His swim bladder issue has been present for over a month now. Not sure what else to do. Tried everything I know and have learned. How is your fish doing?

Sorry for the late reply and sorry to hear that about your clownfish. My clown has recovered, lets say 95%. He is still swimming slightly funny but only when he tries to eat. He is struggling to bite the food at the surface of the water, other than that he looks fine.

I don't know if this helps or not, but in cichlids when they have swim bladder issues a common "cure" is to feed them cooked peas. I didn't have peas on hand, so I fed him spirulina flakes and some Hikari seaweed extreme. I can't say that this fixed the issue but he stopped swimming/floating vertically after about 12 days.

I want to point out that I maintained him in a shallow tank, about 4-5" of water with an air stone and no substrate. I decided to keep him in a shallow tank after doing a water change and noticing that he was struggling less in shallow water.

I did water changes every other day and ammonia test twice a day.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back