Inside the Smart Buddie - Turbo charge your RO system

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 1, Guests: 1)

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running the membrane is series or parallel?

The concern is the volume of water the pump moves. Its only rated at 550ml at 70 PSI. So if the requested water volume is more the additional pressure would not be created. Let us know will be glad to review the numbers.
RO membranes running inseries

Thanks!

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

Aquarium Equipment Company
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
So I don't think it would work they way you would want. The pumps output is 550ml/min at 70 PSI and the Smart Buddie has an internal 300 ml/min flush/flow restrictor. That leaves 250ml/min for the membrane.

I calculate a single 90 GPD membrane using around 240 ml/min to filtered water out. So I don't see where we can gain the extra water volume needed for the second membrane.

Sorry I don't feel the pumps output is enough to operate the two larger sized membranes.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I don't think it would work they way you would want. The pumps output is 550ml/min at 70 PSI and the Smart Buddie has an internal 300 ml/min flush/flow restrictor. That leaves 250ml/min for the membrane.

I calculate a single 90 GPD membrane using around 240 ml/min to filtered water out. So I don't see where we can gain the extra water volume needed for the second membrane.

Sorry I don't feel the pumps output is enough to operate the two larger sized membranes.
No worries, thanks for the info.

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
There are a few things that can be used to reduce the pressure to the membrane.

Using a 100 GPD membrane will increase the filter area reducing the pressure to the membrane.
You can add an additional flow restrictor or valve to adjust the pressure to your needs. Photo below showing the bypass but keeping the auto flush feature.

Pressure regulator can be placed after the pump, before the membrane.

Let me know if you have additional questions will be glad to help.

Flow restrictor Increase.JPG

N1Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had mine for several years now. It has worked great for me. However, it seems to have slowed down, not pumping as well as before. Do you know what I should trouble shoot on it to get te power back? I have replaced all of my filter cartridges, including my RO membrane as well as the DI resin. The only thing I can think of is that it must be the RO buddie booster pump. Thanks.

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Do you happen to be measuring the PSI to the membrane? This would let me know where the problem could be in the system. I know last week a clogged sediment pre-filter limited the water supply reducing the pressure to the membrane.

Biglex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello setting up a rodi unit and wanted to know how would I connect booster buddy to an spectra pure 90gpd but wanted to add the bulk reef supply extra two di to help with saving water. What would y’all recommend?

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
It appears from the photo that you should be able to connect the Smart Buddie without any changes.
  1. Water supply filtered by the Sediment and carbon filters, then connected to the supply side of the Smart Buddie
  2. Out of the Smart Buddie to the membrane input. The pressure gauge should indicate the presser supplied to the membrane.
  3. Waste out of the membrane would require any flow restrictor to be removed and then connected to the Smart Buddie waste IN. This will auto flush and has a 300 CC flow restrictor combination.
  4. Waste out of the Smart Buddie to drain.
  5. Filtered water out of the membrane to the DI and then to the Smart Buddie filtered water side.
  6. Out of the Smart Buddie to storage container.
Few things to note.
  1. Remove the flow restrictor of the RO unit
  2. Remove an ASO or Auto Shut Off valve if used with the original RO unit
  3. Pressure created to the membrane with a 900GPD membrane should be around 90 PSI.
  4. If you want to decrease the pressure or add more waste water flow you can create a bypass on the waste water while still keeping the auto flush feature. Photo below. I have used this when customers have higher TDS and find the lower ratio of waste water to filtered water is too hard on the membrane. This will increase the waste water output.
Let me know if you have additional questions.

jcdeboe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears from the photo that you should be able to connect the Smart Buddie without any changes.
  1. Water supply filtered by the Sediment and carbon filters, then connected to the supply side of the Smart Buddie
  2. Out of the Smart Buddie to the membrane input. The pressure gauge should indicate the presser supplied to the membrane.
  3. Waste out of the membrane would require any flow restrictor to be removed and then connected to the Smart Buddie waste IN. This will auto flush and has a 300 CC flow restrictor combination.
  4. Waste out of the Smart Buddie to drain.
  5. Filtered water out of the membrane to the DI and then to the Smart Buddie filtered water side.
  6. Out of the Smart Buddie to storage container.
Few things to note.
  1. Remove the flow restrictor of the RO unit
  2. Remove an ASO or Auto Shut Off valve if used with the original RO unit
  3. Pressure created to the membrane with a 900GPD membrane should be around 90 PSI.
  4. If you want to decrease the pressure or add more waste water flow you can create a bypass on the waste water while still keeping the auto flush feature. Photo below. I have used this when customers have higher TDS and find the lower ratio of waste water to filtered water is too hard on the membrane. This will increase the waste water output.
Let me know if you have additional questions.

Hi there!
I just purchased the Smart Buddie and attached to my new MD RODI unit. I followed the video install instructions and water was flowing well with 0 TDS. However, my psi gauge was only reading 52-54 psi, which is too low with a pump right? I wanted to ask as I am not sure what the deal may be? Is there anything that you might suggest? Thanks!

jcdeboe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size membrane or membranes do you have with the unit? Can you post a few photos?
Hi there,
Thank you for the reply. It is a 100gpd MD 4 stage unit with TDS and pressure gauge. I will send pics soon. I haven’t done the permanent install yet and my water source is from the faucet and not plumbed inline yet. Could that be an issue? Thanks!

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
The 100 GPD membrane should allow a pressure of around 80 - 85 PSI on the membrane, also if the pressure gauge is before the smart buddie on the supply water side of the RO it will only read the supply water pressure. To measure the PSI on the membrane it would need to be installed after the Smart Buddie out to membrane connection and before the membrane.

Some manufacturers have the gauge on the supply side and that might be the reason for the low pressure.

Let me know or if you have a chance send a few photos.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This will work for other RO units, yes? Been contemplating a purchase of this unit

jcdeboe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 100 GPD membrane should allow a pressure of around 80 - 85 PSI on the membrane, also if the pressure gauge is before the smart buddie on the supply water side of the RO it will only read the supply water pressure. To measure the PSI on the membrane it would need to be installed after the Smart Buddie out to membrane connection and before the membrane.

Some manufacturers have the gauge on the supply side and that might be the reason for the low pressure.

Let me know or if you have a chance send a few photos.

Ah ha! That probably explains it. I will get you pics soon. The MD gauge does seem to be on the supply side opposite of the RO unit in the video that you guys released in the past.

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
This will work for other RO units, yes? Been contemplating a purchase of this unit

Yes most RO units have had no problem. If you have the RO unit details that you want me to review. Please send to [email protected] and I can review. Since each manufacturer can have slightly different plumbing I like to review first to make sure.

Just let me know.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes most RO units have had no problem. If you have the RO unit details that you want me to review. Please send to [email protected] and I can review. Since each manufacturer can have slightly different plumbing I like to review first to make sure.

Just let me know.
Message sent (From Gmail)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back