Inside the Smart Buddie - Turbo charge your RO system

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

AquaticLifeProducts

Aquarium Equipment Company
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
A look into the Smart Buddie Booster Pump internals. Booster_Hero_Top.jpg
Top view of the Smart Buddies shows from left to right, the High Pressure switch, the Auto Flush Valve and Flow Restrictor combination and the Shut Off valve and Low Pressure switch.

Top View.jpg

The Booster pump is located under the top switches.
Side view.jpg

The Smart Buddie was designed to boost the supply water pressure in units ranging from 50 to 100 gallon per day RO unit.
  • The typical boosted pressure is 100 PSI.
  • The flow restrictor is 300CC.
  • Low pressure switch activates in the 4.35 - 7.25 PSI range
  • High pressure switch activates in the 33.35 - 36.25 PSI range

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is cool!

gtbarsi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is cool in that it is an all in one solution, and the price point seems good to me.
Some status indicator lights would be a real nice to have.

I am not sure that I love the idea of having 6 lines going from my RO/DI filter to this unit. I would have to put up a shelf for it near my wall mounted filter, since this unit does not appear to have any type of wall mounting options.

My only question is how is the operational life of the unit as compared to the individual components from Aquatec that I have often seen used.

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Thanks. Appreciate the feed back.

I would have to agree that there are a lot of connections, but its hard to do any other way. The original Powered RO hid a lot of the connections inside the housing, but this we needed to make accessible for each connection.

We are using the same components as our previous Powered RO unit. We have several of these powered RO units in stores that have been operating for over four years. Plus, we do make the parts modular so that if service is needed it can be swapped out pretty easily.

chessplayer86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it have a pressure regulator? Also whats the boosting ratio? if I have 20PSI would like to know how much more I would get.

klesel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just order one get it tomorrow hope it's worth it I have a well and Max 40 psi and Rodi not working so we will see got two huge whole house pre filters on home before normal Rodi set up so hope it gets me what I need !

chessplayer86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I connected my new SPECTRAPURE 90GPD RODI to find out bad pressure, So I turned the valve off and said I will not waste water, need a booster pump. But cant decide if this is a good buy,. because of a bad review saying too much leaks.

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
The unit will boost the incoming pressure to around 90PSI and as long as you have enough water volume it will work for a unit up to 100GPD. As for the mentioned leaks we have found a few possible reasons, some do not push the tubing into the connectors enough. The o-ring in the fittings require the tube to be pushed past the o-ring to seal around the tube. We call this the "double push", first it stops at the o-ring and then it stops when it goes past the o-ring. Another has been how the tubing is cut, using scissors will crease the tube in most cases and not seal around the o-ring in the fitting correctly. We suggest a razor blade that will make a nice clean cut. The other could be a bad fitting but we have seen very few of these.

Just to give you a sneak preview will will have a special this week that will have the units on sale for $90.99. Sale will end 2/13/2016. We are offering this through our dealer network and online vendors. If you do not find it locally or with your favorite online retailer we will have it on http://www.aquaticlife.com/ too.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Feb_Consumer_SmartBuddie.jpg

dewboy1127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The unit will boost the incoming pressure to around 90PSI and as long as you have enough water volume it will work for a unit up to 100GPD. As for the mentioned leaks we have found a few possible reasons, some do not push the tubing into the connectors enough. The o-ring in the fittings require the tube to be pushed past the o-ring to seal around the tube. We call this the "double push", first it stops at the o-ring and then it stops when it goes past the o-ring. Another has been how the tubing is cut, using scissors will crease the tube in most cases and not seal around the o-ring in the fitting correctly. We suggest a razor blade that will make a nice clean cut. The other could be a bad fitting but we have seen very few of these.

Just to give you a sneak preview will will have a special this week that will have the units on sale for $90.99. Sale will end 2/13/2016. We are offering this through our dealer network and online vendors. If you do not find it locally or with your favorite online retailer we will have it on http://www.aquaticlife.com/ too.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Feb_Consumer_SmartBuddie.jpg
So any lfs should match this rate till next weekend?

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
We sent the lfs a flyer last week that discussed the promotions planned for the month so they should, but they are not required too. If a store has questions about the offer they can certainly contact us and we will help them out.

dewboy1127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We sent the lfs a flyer last week that discussed the promotions planned for the month so they should, but they are not required too. If a store has questions about the offer they can certainly contact us and we will help them out.
Do you know what dealer is closest to orlando,fl

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
We have a few stores listed but I do not see any that ordered stock of the Smart Buddie. They can special order it in for you.

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
That is also an option. The sale will be on the site tomorrow morning..... Let me know if you have questions. Thanks for checking it out.

Dave

andrew james

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one of these on Amazon last week and while it makes my mixing station look like a crazy meth lab with all the tubing going everywhere it really helped my system. The gauge on mt Spectrapure Maxcap is reading 100 psi and I'm actually making 90 GPD, which has never happened before.

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
It would depend on the water pressure created on the filtered line side by the permeate pump. The high pressure switch on the Smart Buddie will turn the unit off around 30 PSI. I read that a permeate pump would bring the pressure tank up to line pressure. If that is the case I do not think the Smart Buddie would work correctly as the it could not reach line pressure due to the high pressure switch turning the unit off.

You would need to keep the high pressure switch so the smart buddie knows when to turn off.

Dave

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 78 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back