Inside the Smart Buddie - Turbo charge your RO system

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

jcdeboe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes most RO units have had no problem. If you have the RO unit details that you want me to review. Please send to [email protected] and I can review. Since each manufacturer can have slightly different plumbing I like to review first to make sure.

Just let me know.
Hi there.
Thank you for all of your help. I am emailing you pics now. Thanks again!

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

Aquarium Equipment Company
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
The limit on the Smart Buddie is that it produces 550 ml of water at 70PSI. So you can use 2 - 100 GPD membranes but the pressure will be reduced to both membranes. It should show a PSI or 70 - 80 when running 2 - 100 GPD but it may be more beneficial to run 2 - 75 GPD.

The flow restrictor used in the Smart Buddie is 300 CC so there is already a big reduction on waste water. As we use 450 CC with 50 GPD membranes and 800CC with 100GPD membranes that are not pressurized.

AZ_Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem.

Not by the Smart Buddie but you could add a T and valve between the RO waste line and the Smart Buddie connection to bypass the flow restrictor. If you wanted you could T that line back into the waste line out of the Smart Buddie. Essentially you are making a manual flush around the auto flush.
Can you please provide a picture of how to install manual flush?

NormanB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AquaticLifeProducts Perhaps this has been discussed and I missed it. Do I have to use all the connections? Or can I just use this inline and skip the other plumbing? Just so I'm clear I want to connect the in from the faucet and the out to the rodi and nothing else.

Thanks!

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Can you please provide a picture of how to install manual flush?

Let me see what I can get. I have the added flow restrictor bypass attached. It would be similar but instead of the flow restrictor it would have a valve.
Smart Buddie flow restrictor upgrade.JPG

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
@AquaticLifeProducts Perhaps this has been discussed and I missed it. Do I have to use all the connections? Or can I just use this inline and skip the other plumbing? Just so I'm clear I want to connect the in from the faucet and the out to the rodi and nothing else.

Thanks!

They are all not required.

The supply to the Smart Buddie has a low pressure switch so if there is no water supply it will turn off.

The waste is no problem as it has the flush and flow restrictor.

The filtered water line will turn off if connected when the filtered water line is pressurized to approximately 35 PSI.

I would suggest filtering the water prior to feeding the Smart Buddie as the there is an internal screen protecting the shut off valve and we have seen supply water clog the screen and turning off the unit due to low water pressure.

mistalanious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to get higher pressure on the output? The RO pressure is at ~80psi but the output is at about 30psi. I'm using the Smart Buddie for more efficient RO output but also was hoping it increased the pressure to my refrigerator for Ice/Water. Without the smart buddy i can get about 60psi to the fridge but with it I'm at 30psi and that's not going to work.

NormanB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are all not required.

The supply to the Smart Buddie has a low pressure switch so if there is no water supply it will turn off.

The waste is no problem as it has the flush and flow restrictor.

The filtered water line will turn off if connected when the filtered water line is pressurized to approximately 35 PSI.

I would suggest filtering the water prior to feeding the Smart Buddie as the there is an internal screen protecting the shut off valve and we have seen supply water clog the screen and turning off the unit due to low water pressure.

Thanks for your reply. I may purchase this in the near future. Just need to add or move the sediment filter.

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Is it possible to get higher pressure on the output? The RO pressure is at ~80psi but the output is at about 30psi. I'm using the Smart Buddie for more efficient RO output but also was hoping it increased the pressure to my refrigerator for Ice/Water. Without the smart buddy i can get about 60psi to the fridge but with it I'm at 30psi and that's not going to work.

The high pressure switch limits the pressure to the storage tanks. Its set at 35 PSI +/- 2 PSI. Are you getting 60 PSI to the fridge with a pressure tank or feeding water directly to the fridge without a RO unit?

mistalanious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The high pressure switch limits the pressure to the storage tanks. Its set at 35 PSI +/- 2 PSI. Are you getting 60 PSI to the fridge with a pressure tank or feeding water directly to the fridge without a RO unit?

The fridge gets its water from an APEC Ultimate RO system. Is there a reason for the filtered water high pressure switch to be set at ~35psi? The storage tanks can handle more, correct?

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
The pressure tank likely can but float valves not as much. The higher the filtered line pressure the harder for an ASO to turn off.

OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
I believe the ASO normally turns off at around 66% of the supply water pressure. So you could have higher pressure in the tank if the supply is above 65PSI. If not it should be similar.

Jerm40

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AquaticLifeProducts This week I noticed my system pressure was at about 110 to 115 psi. My TDS leaving the membrane was 33, so I thought maybe the membrane was exhausted. I ordered a new membrane (Dow 75gpd) And replaced it only to find nothing changed. Further investigation showed I was not getting any waste water. I bought this unit in February and have had zero issues until now. It previously ran at about 95 psi. Any help would be appreciated.

Jerm40

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the waste water is flowing good from the membrane to the smart buddie, but nothing exits the waste water line coming from the smart buddie.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AquaticLifeProducts

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
I have seen some really hard water close the flow restrictor due to buildup in the line. Mostly seen in well water systems. The restrictor can be replaced or bypassed. Send us a message at [email protected] will be glad to help.

Jerm40

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already sent an email just before finding this post, Thank you for your help, I’ll see if customer support can help.

Marc K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I am interested in this unit but wondering what the voltage is for the boost pump and other electronics. Thanks.

Back