BRS

MsBean

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
So after a few weeks running my new evo 13.5 I decided to swap the stock filter for an intank media basket in chamber 1. It was a bit spendy for my liking, but I could already see the stock sponge getting gummed up and becoming annoying to keep clean. I much prefer the logic of seeing all my water flow directly onto a piece of floss that I can rinse or change readily.

A few questions for others who have done this:

With the intank flow director installed, I take it I can no longer use the fluval-provided skimmer plate. Is this a problem? Or is there a way to MacGyver it back onto there?

How have you filled the bottom two sections of the media basket, or do you leave the bottom one empty? At the moment I have stuffed in the fluval provided media (sans sponge obviously) plus some purigen and chemipure blue, but it's all a bit higgledy piggledy. Should I be arranging things in any particular way?

Tidal Gardens January 29th YouTube Live Show
OP
M

MsBean

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I haven't had time to take a photo but basically I have filter floss on the top level, some little bags of chemipure blue and purigen crammed into the middle segment, and a small bag of bio media (the stuff that came with the aquarium) on the bottom - though it doesn't even half fill the bottom segment of the chamber.

I always heard that the order should be mechanical - chemical - biological so I was sort of aiming for that.

BRS

Have you ever torn down a tank over an issue you couldn't seem to beat?

• Yes! I have. (Tell us about what issue you faced in the thread.)

Votes: 162 24.3%
  • No. Thankfully, I haven't.

Votes: 344 51.5%
  • Nope, but it almost happened. (Share your experience in the thread.)

Votes: 48 7.2%
  • Not yet, but I'm almost there. (Tell us what you're dealing with.)

Votes: 56 8.4%
  • If you reef long enough, this will eventually happen to you.

Votes: 45 6.7%
  • Other

Votes: 13 1.9%