Installing Red Sea Roller Mat 500 in Reefer 350, V1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which one did you settle on?
I switched it back to 0.8-1.0" (default) for now. I also tried the 0.4-0.6" setting but it was running far too often for my liking. I'm going to try and resist the urge to further tinker with it (at least until I get a new roll installed) just so I have some data for comparison.

OP
OP
James Emory

James Emory

Orphek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched it back to 0.8-1.0" (default) for now. I also tried the 0.4-0.6" setting but it was running far too often for my liking. I'm going to try and resist the urge to further tinker with it (at least until I get a new roll installed) just so I have some data for comparison.
That is the one I'm going to start with. I agree with your statement regarding cycling too often. but I guess it makes sense, less material to absorb the waste so faster use.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the one I'm going to start with. I agree with your statement regarding cycling too often. but I guess it makes sense, less material to absorb the waste so faster use.
I found that it didn't necessarily use any less fleece - it was just whirring a lot more (which can be annoying as it's not exactly quiet).

OP
OP
James Emory

James Emory

Orphek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree as you start off with an almost clean filter when dispensing at that setting so takes longer to clog. Really getting anxious to get my sump modified. Yesterday was 98 out so no way I'm getting out in that heat. It will come.

OP
OP
James Emory

James Emory

Orphek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Empty, raised on a pedestal and flood lighting - maybe 15min after you've practised it a half dozen times beforehand... It took me 3.5 hours, but I also did a lot of cleaning, maintenance, silicone cleanup and reorganization. The actual cutting took maybe 40min with another 20min cleaning the silicone residue off.
It took you just 15 minutes and that is including removing the sock trays and all the glass? Or are the sock trays left alone and just cut out the glass that attaches to the sump walls???

OP
OP
James Emory

James Emory

Orphek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not located this item that is circled? Is this a graphic error by Red Sea?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-06-22 090436.png
    Screenshot 2022-06-22 090436.png
    64.9 KB · Views: 35

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took you just 15 minutes and that is including removing the sock trays and all the glass? Or are the sock trays left alone and just cut out the glass that attaches to the sump walls???
It took me a lot more than 15 minutes... Including rudimentary cleanup of excess silicone, my estimate is closer to an hour on an existing (wet) sump within the confines of the cabinet. Everything came out with the exception of the two small glass frames with black silicone dots on the front and back.

OP
OP
James Emory

James Emory

Orphek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well taking the glass partitions and sock holders off wasn't bad but when I got everything back in, the downpipe leaked where the nut is. I believe the O ring is damaged or cut. So I had to order a new standpipe with valve to the tune of 141.00. I know I will never buy a Red Sea Reefer tank again. I will be much happier with a filter box that uses fittings I can buy at Home Depot. I think a 141.00 is totally ridiculous for that part. Really think their plumbing set up is a bad design. If you had a leak in the fitting that goes to the tank you would have to drain the tank and contents and remove the tank to fix/replace. Really bad design.

sublime275

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well taking the glass partitions and sock holders off wasn't bad but when I got everything back in, the downpipe leaked where the nut is. I believe the O ring is damaged or cut. So I had to order a new standpipe with valve to the tune of 141.00. I know I will never buy a Red Sea Reefer tank again. I will be much happier with a filter box that uses fittings I can buy at Home Depot. I think a 141.00 is totally ridiculous for that part. Really think their plumbing set up is a bad design. If you had a leak in the fitting that goes to the tank you would have to drain the tank and contents and remove the tank to fix/replace. Really bad design.
You do know that you can just order new o-rings? Heck of a lot cheaper than ordering a new pipe.

OP
OP
James Emory

James Emory

Orphek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't use the included media tray with any media. It more than doubled, tripled (or more) my fleece usage.
Thanks but the bulkhead fitting also broke (brittle). So I'm done with this tank because the parts to fix it are ridiculous. I'd have to tear down the tank to get at it and the tank is 6 years old. I have settled for a Waterbox Aquarium system. Thanks everyone for all your comments/suggestions.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks but the bulkhead fitting also broke (brittle). So I'm done with this tank because the parts to fix it are ridiculous. I'd have to tear down the tank to get at it and the tank is 6 years old. I have settled for a Waterbox Aquarium system. Thanks everyone for all your comments/suggestions.
Sorry to hear that. People report just as many (if not more) issues with Waterbox, but here's wishing you an uneventful tank setup.

OP
OP
James Emory

James Emory

Orphek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that. People report just as many (if not more) issues with Waterbox, but here's wishing you an uneventful tank setup.
Thanks. I believe all tank manufacturers have issues and much of depends on how the tank is installed/leveled, etc.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back