Instant Acan Garden-10 Pack for $200 Shipped

Discussion in 'Sheltered Reef Aquaculture' started by Sheltered Reef AC, Sep 11, 2017.

1. zachxlutz

zachxlutz 120 Gallons of FUN R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Thanks! I just dipped them in Revive and Bayer and put them on a frag rack on the sandbed! They look SUPER great!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

P.S. Ignore the dinos... I'm working on it!

2. Ryan@ShelteredReef

Ryan@ShelteredReef Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Platinum Sponsor Build Thread Contributor

They'll look even better once they have a chance to settle in! And don't worry, we've all gotten a little beat up by dinos at one point or another.

3. Sheltered Reef AC

Sheltered Reef AC Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Platinum Sponsor

Right around 30 packs remaining. Get yours while they last. PM with any special requests

reeferdon likes this.
  4. Sheltered Reef AC

reeferdon likes this.
  5. reeferdon

reeferdon Well-Known Member

I'm interested how do I order a 10 pack please?

6. Ryan@ShelteredReef

Ryan@ShelteredReef Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Platinum Sponsor Build Thread Contributor

If you go to this link: https://www.shelteredreef.com/instant-acan-garden-10-pack, you can purchase it on our website. Theres a comments section when you place your order and you can put any requests in there. I'll be at the shop tomorrow if you want me to send you some pictures.

Sterlingg likes this.
  7. Ryan@ShelteredReef

Working a little Acan Garden into the fluval edge at the shop IMG_7788.JPG IMG_7790.JPG

8. Sheltered Reef AC

Almost down to 25 packs left. These are multi-head frags grown in house. Get your pack while they're available! We will throw up some WYSIWYG packs tomorrow for those interested.

9. Sheltered Reef AC

10. Sheltered Reef AC

How is the dino battle going? We had the same thing in one of our systems early in the year and Fluconazole worked like magic! There are many threads on this, here is one of them... https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bryopsis-cure-my-battle-with-bryopsis-using-fluconazole.285096

And by the way, how are the Acans you got doing?

11. zachxlutz

zachxlutz 120 Gallons of FUN R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Thanks for checking in... The dino battle is, finger's crossed, trending towards success. Through the use of UV, diatom filtering, limited organic nutrient input, lots of sandbed agitation and live rock turkey baster-ing, I think we're killing the dinos. I've identified them as majority being ostreopsis and some large cell amphidium. Ostreopsis, IIRC, releases into the water column at night, thusly being susceptible to the UV filtration as well as being trapped in the diatom filter. I've seen a decrease in dinos appearing on the sand bed and they've all but disappeared from the live rock and eggcrate.

The acans are doing great. Once I get the dinos completely under control I'm going to mount all the frag plugs. I'm trying to decide if I want to mount them to the live rock or push some eggcrate into the sand and wedge the acans into that to create an acan garden in the sand.

Anyway, here's some crappy iphone photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Katrina71 and Ryan@ShelteredReef like this.
  12. Ryan@ShelteredReef

Yeah UV works wonders. It really make a huge difference in algae growth. I'm happy to hear that you're winning your battle thus far. That idea with the egg crate sounds pretty cool. Hopefully you don't have any fish that decide they want to play bury the coral haha. I wonder whats caused the sudden rise in Dino outbreaks?

zachxlutz likes this.
  13. zachxlutz

The diamond goby might take issue with the acans in the sandbed, it doesn't currently bother any of the coral on/near the sandbed. I think it's worth a shot once the dinos stop populating the sandbed.

I believe the dinos bloomed in my system due to a couple of factors, namely stripping the water of nutrients via GFO since it's inception and carbon/bacteria (Vibrant) dosing. I created a system where only the toughest baddest bacteria and algae could grow. That tough bad thing ended up being ostreopsis dinos. I'm finally seeing controllable algae growth (gha, etc) on the rocks. I'll never blindly dose carbon/bacteria or nutrient stripping media again.

Ryan@ShelteredReef likes this.
  14. Ryan@ShelteredReef

I'd definitely like to see that. You'd get some natural rounded growth once they reach the edge of the plugs. Plus you'd have the added benefit of being able to easily move them around or frag if need be.
    Similar to what happened with our outbreak in one system. We did our best to keep the entire system devoid of all algae but dinos are sneaky and opportunistic in that respect. We were able to beat it with a combination of UV, flucanazole, Apocyclops pods, and believe it or not, Vibrant. We needed to dose nitrate and phosphate because the Vibrant dropped the levels so fast. The only problem we noticed was every Trachyphyllia bleached within a few days of adding the Vibrant.

15. Sheltered Reef AC

@zachxlutz I'll tell ya, for iPhone photos, those came out really nice actually. :)

16. Sheltered Reef AC

Shipping is free my friend!!! :)

17. zachxlutz

Thanks man! I really need to splurge and get a macro lens for my DSLR and then I could take proper photos.

18. Sheltered Reef AC

Definitely a worthwhile investment. Photography adds a whole other level to the hobby. It really keeps you in touch with the tiniest aspects of your reef. We still use our cell phones a lot though just for the convenience factor haha.

19. Ryan@ShelteredReef

Had to steal this single polyp for the 6 gallon Top Rock Acan 10-4-17.jpg

zachxlutz and Katrina71 like this.
  20. Ryan@ShelteredReef

We'll be bringing a plethora of the remaining Acans to #CTARS Fragtoberfest next weekend. Hope to see some of you there!

Draft saved Draft deleted