Instant cycle with premium deco rock

Don_Jorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally decided on a good size tank and have everything on its way, im waiting til everything gets here to order live rock. My question is Ive heard about using live rock for an instant cycle, I've also heard that using this rock will cause a massive die off and leave me with bleached rocks. Does anyone know which is true with this rock? I'd hate to waste money

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the rock you're talking about. If getting live rock from your LFS die off will be minimal if any. If ordering from a place like gulfliverock.com then yes there will be die off. However if the tank is empty anyway you can just let it ride until die off is complete and do a water change after.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've yet to use it. They remove most of the things that have little chance before shipping. I'd definitely watch the weather and plan the shipping accordingly. That being said I will be using a ton of that rock and sand in my next tank.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally decided on a good size tank and have everything on its way, im waiting til everything gets here to order live rock. My question is Ive heard about using live rock for an instant cycle, I've also heard that using this rock will cause a massive die off and leave me with bleached rocks. Does anyone know which is true with this rock? I'd hate to waste money
Unless it is shipped in water, you will have some die off, but that isn't a big deal. The value of the rock is the bacteria, really, and unless you get some really bad delays in shipping, the bacteria will be fine.

Tampa Bay, KP Aquatics or these guys. Can't really go wrong.

OP
OP
Don_Jorge

Don_Jorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs has rock at 7.50 a lb so the gulf premium deco is looking pretty enticing

OP
OP
Don_Jorge

Don_Jorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i have light and everything ready when i get the rock i shouldnt get bleaching from the corraline then right?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually buying live rock is a supplement rather than using it for the entire scape. I started with my own dry rock and just added live rock and substrate from a bunch of different LFS for diversity

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's a handy gauge for skip cycle rock sourcing:

if you are buying rocks that someone has kept aerated and in circulated typical reef water for ten or more days, and you're moving them home by car/vehicle, that's true skip cycle cured rocks that wont die upon transfer

if your acquisition involves shipping, then you need to place the rocks in water and circulate and change water for ten days, guiding out the curing. to see what real pet store live rock can do, consider this:

as you can see, sourcing live rocks from pet stores that keep them in vats marked live rocks is 100% trustworthy and how we pull that off for pages and pages to come.

OP
OP
Don_Jorge

Don_Jorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's a handy gauge for skip cycle rock sourcing:

if you are buying rocks that someone has kept aerated and in circulated typical reef water for ten or more days, and you're moving them home by car/vehicle, that's true skip cycle cured rocks that wont die upon transfer

if your acquisition involves shipping, then you need to place the rocks in water and circulate and change water for ten days, guiding out the curing. to see what real pet store live rock can do, consider this:

as you can see, sourcing live rocks from pet stores that keep them in vats marked live rocks is 100% trustworthy and how we pull that off for pages and pages to come.
so what im hearing is it might just be worth it to dish out the extra 100 bucks with the LFS, thank you

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think I'd lose the corraline/sponges from gulf?
Get the gulfliverock.com.
I got the 17 lbs nano package for $85 shipped.
3 days in wet paper towels to nh.
Survived - Limpets, clams, feather dusters, halmedia, coralline, several types sponges. Crabs, worms and other stuff I can't see.
Dead a few clams
Will always use them or equivalent. They will air freight for pickup at your nearest airport.

OP
OP
Don_Jorge

Don_Jorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the gulfliverock.com.
I got the 17 lbs nano package for $85 shipped.
3 days in wet paper towels to nh.
Survived - Limpets, clams, feather dusters, halmedia, coralline, several types sponges. Crabs, worms and other stuff I can't see.
Dead a few clams
Will always use them or equivalent. They will air freight for pickup at your nearest airport.
thank you i was hesitant to do it til i saw this, it truly is beautiful rock

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 153 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 87 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.9%
Back