Instant ocean help

Tsev03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I add enough ca kh and mg to freshly made water made with instant ocean salt? I tested it and ca was only 330 kh was only 6.7 mg was only 1185. I have brs 2 part. Should I still increase it slowly to the water even tho it's just for a water change?

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's fine to dose up your newly mixed saltwater to reach your desired parameters. And no, you do not have to slowly adjust your levels as those guidelines to adjust levels slowly are for tanks with livestock in it, not buckets of newly mixed saltwater.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes thats fine, just add to freshly made water to your target level and add it to your tank. You do need to space the time you add ca and alk by at about 30 min to prevent precipitation. And you will want to do this when you are ready to use it. You can add ca and mg right after each other. I used to do this but found ease and cost was better to find a salt mix with parameters that were in line with my reef parameters. BRS hw and fritz salt were the ones that I went with.

OP
OP
Tsev03

Tsev03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I'm planning on changing salt. I have read that fritz is a good choice so I'm ordering it now thank you!

OP
OP
Tsev03

Tsev03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes thats fine, just add to freshly made water to your target level and add it to your tank. You do need to space the time you add ca and alk by at about 30 min to prevent precipitation. And you will want to do this when you are ready to use it. You can add ca and mg right after each other. I used to do this but found ease and cost was better to find a salt mix with parameters that were in line with my reef parameters. BRS hw and fritz salt were the ones that I went with.

So I raised everything and the our realtor called and she had to show the house and I didn't get to use the water so now I'm not sure what to do. Should I dump the water or can it be fixed? If I can't use it for my reef tank is it ok to use in my fish only tank?

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I raised everything and the our realtor called and she had to show the house and I didn't get to use the water so now I'm not sure what to do. Should I dump the water or can it be fixed? If I can't use it for my reef tank is it ok to use in my fish only tank?

If you're worried about the water sitting, don't. It should be fine. If you want you can aerate it with an airstone or powerhead. I leave newly mixed water running with a powerhead for days at a time consistently. I'm curious about that dkh of 6.7, I use IO and mine mixes up around 9 or 10. I'm thinking of switching to a lower alk brand, plus I'm sick of the crud it leaves behind.

OP
OP
Tsev03

Tsev03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a power head running ion the water the whole time. I checked the alk and calcium now and the ca is 440 and the alk is down to 6.2. I'm not sure why the alk drop from yesterday to today. I had it up to 8.7. This was the first time I tested the water before a water change. A friend said I should because IO changes from batch to batch. I can't believe the alk was that low. I'm definitely changing salts as soon as I can.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a power head running ion the water the whole time. I checked the alk and calcium now and the ca is 440 and the alk is down to 6.2. I'm not sure why the alk drop from yesterday to today. I had it up to 8.7. This was the first time I tested the water before a water change. A friend said I should because IO changes from batch to batch. I can't believe the alk was that low. I'm definitely changing salts as soon as I can.

That's what happens, alk, mg and ca precip and those levels will decrease if you don't use your water shortly after mixing. It will happen with no matter what salt you use. You should also not keep a power head running or mix in warmer water. In a reef you should plan to mix your water when you will be ready to use it, once it's clear and up to temp it's ready to use. There is a scientific explanation but I can't quite remember it now. Once it's in the tank other factors play in that keeps it stable.

Gator1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what happens, alk, mg and ca precip and those levels will decrease if you don't use your water shortly after mixing. It will happen with no matter what salt you use. You should also not keep a power head running or mix in warmer water. In a reef you should plan to mix your water when you will be ready to use it, once it's clear and up to temp it's ready to use. There is a scientific explanation but I can't quite remember it now. Once it's in the tank other factors play in that keeps it stable.

This interesting to me - I usually mix up a 55 gal brute with salt ware and use it for water changes over the course of a month or so - I keep it heated and moving with a power head. Perhaps I should change my method....

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test some new water and some month old, let's see how they compare. I am curious as I want to be able to store mixed saltwater. Also fish stores store there water for at least a week

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test some new water and some month old, let's see how they compare. I am curious as I want to be able to store mixed saltwater. Also fish stores store there water for at least a week

I challenge anyone who doubts this to do just that, test your freshly made water; and if you just test the next day you will see the difference. Fowlrs don't matter, but your reef will suffer and you will be dosing to bring back up your, ca, alk, and mg. Red Sea has a vid on youtube covering this and I have spoken with Seachem as well. Pre mixing and storing water is old school and the most stable way to do water changes on your reef is to mix when ready. Choosing a salt mix with parameters in line with the parameters you keep your reef at, is best.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I challenge anyone who doubts this to do just that, test your freshly made water; and if you just test the next day you will see the difference. Fowlrs don't matter, but your reef will suffer and you will be dosing to bring back up your, ca, alk, and mg. Red Sea has a vid on youtube covering this and I have spoken with Seachem as well. Pre mixing and storing water is old school and the most stable way to do water changes on your reef is to mix when ready. Choosing a salt mix with parameters in line with the parameters you keep your reef at, is best.

Are you climbing that the ALK/Cal/Mag are precipitating, because if they had there would be visible evidence of that in the mixing vessel.

Aquaman024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you shake the salt in the container (or roll the container) prior to using it to mix???? This is always important to distribute all the salts in it!!!!

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not saying it won't change. I know when mixing salt you add salt slowly to prevent it.

Example two years ago I started my tank on reef crystals. I tested water and cycle started.
6 weeks later I added a fish. Did 10% water change. Month later tested and added coral. So 16weeks and 1 water change. My water parameters where the same as when tank was set up.
I dunno chemistry isn't my strong suit but my tank looks great and I use reef crystals. I have let salt mixing for days most of the time.

OP
OP
Tsev03

Tsev03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you shake the salt in the container (or roll the container) prior to using it to mix???? This is always important to distribute all the salts in it!!!!

I use a whole bag at a time

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back