Insurance for Aquarium Equipment, Fish, or Coral

What Does Your Homeowners/Renters Insurance Cover?

• Nothing - Not Covered by Current Policy

Votes: 42 8.4%
  • Damage to Dwelling Only

Votes: 79 15.7%
  • Damage & Aquarium Equipment

Votes: 69 13.7%
  • Damage, Aquarium Equipment & Livestock

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • Equipment Only

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • Equipment & Livestock

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • I Do Not Have Insurance

Votes: 43 8.6%
  • I Don't Know and Need to Check my Policy

Votes: 248 49.4%

• Total voters

MartinWaite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the UK and my mates tank burst the front pane smashed through the night and he claimed for the floorboards, carpet, and fish tank and he was paid for them removal and refitting of the flooring and carpets and for a replacement fish tank anc nothing else although the replacement tank came with new powerheads and heaterstats as was used then. Fortunately the tank didn't loose all its water and he was able to loan out his fish temporarily until the new tank was up and running.

Saltybubbles288

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine covers damages and the equipment with full replacement not based on resale value but product similarity, though no livestock will be covered. I.e. I'm not going to be paid for what it's worth but rather what it cost to replace it with new equipment.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
prove that too!

I see your point Bro, nothing more nothing less.
Your comment is based on nothing more than the same if someone get kidnapped and they sending a piece of the victims finger and as reaction from the victims family was "it's not enough we want more proof"
Or as a wise man once said "the world sees in our conduct, in our behavior, the proof that we are the REAL children of God, so act like one"

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see your point Bro, nothing more nothing less.
Your comment is based on nothing more than the same if someone get kidnapped and they sending a piece of the victims finger and as reaction from the victims family was "it's not enough we want more proof"
Or as a wise man once said "the world sees in our conduct, in our behavior, the proof that we are the REAL children of God, so act like one"
children of who?

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked my insurance agent this question about a month ago. Allstate insurance checking in here...

The analysis I was given is any damage caused by the tank, fire or water, would be covered. I would have to cover my deductible, and then fair market value would be created for any and all property lost and repairs needed.

That being said, I only asked about equipment and home repairs I did not ask about livestock.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
old thread but i don’t think anyone addresses the issue. pets/animals will never be covered by a home owners policy. you’ll need to find a surplus lines broker for that coverage.

Last edited:

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so now that i have 100+ gallons of water sitting in my house, i, being a paranoid type, am concerned about the house should the unfortunate leak/break happen.

progressive does NOT cover the house or equipment, looks like i might need new insurance..

they said unless 1 of 16 "perils" causes the damage, non of which are tank malfunction i wont be covered. they did say that if the PUMP malfunctions, i'd be covered for damages related to that, but if the seam busts im SOL.

so looks like state farm is an option based on this thread

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agent told me on the phone all was covered. I asked for a meeting. During the meeting several phone calls were made for clarification which wasn't enough coverage for my liking.

Agent took pics, and we listed the equipment and costs. We added a rider to the policy and cover everything but livestock.

Anything but intentional damage by a home occupant (some who lives there). Angry guest is covered lol.

Thought it was worth the piece of mind.

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agent told me on the phone all was covered. I asked for a meeting. During the meeting several phone calls were made for clarification which wasn't enough coverage for my liking.

Agent took pics, and we listed the equipment and costs. We added a rider to the policy and cover everything but livestock.

Anything but intentional damage by a home occupant (some who lives there). Angry guest is covered lol.

Thought it was worth the piece of mind.

agreed value on your equipment? as a consumer who pays for insurance, that scares me.

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have farmers and called one day to discuss. I am covered because my policy states, any sudden onset of water. They said if a piece of the plumbing was slowly dripping and I didn't notice, nothing would be covered in that instance. If a piece of plumbing burst, or pane of glass burst, that would be considered sudden onset of water. My tank, equipment, and livestock would not be covered at all but home damages would.

JeepTj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to add the tank to my renter's policy to cover my tank, since I live in apartment building .. haha worth it for piece of mind and covers accidental and unintentional ,also anything related to a Break-in damage to the tank, my unit , or units beside or below me , but some reason like everyone else, not livestock..

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed value on your equipment? as a consumer who pays for insurance, that scares me.

Yes. As we all know most of the equipment wouldn't need to be replaced anyways. Tank, stand, electrical damage (home or equip), and the entire room including it's contents. Even fire damage from the tank or otherwise. No contents of the tank itself are covered. Zero.

Yeah it was a couple hundred dollars more a year but worth the piece of mind.

Same company, Nationwide also agreed on a value for my classic car.

You can get anything covered if you spend the money.

Cali-Saltwater-1st-Timer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My insurance through State Farm also covers everything except livestock. They are the only insurance company I could find that didn't hesitate about covering the tank/equipment in the case of a leak or blow out.
Strange, because they just told me they Didn't. Getting conflicting information which is making this even more confusing.

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back