Insurance for Aquarium Equipment, Fish, or Coral

What Does Your Homeowners/Renters Insurance Cover?

• Nothing - Not Covered by Current Policy

Votes: 42 8.4%
  • Damage to Dwelling Only

Votes: 79 15.7%
  • Damage & Aquarium Equipment

Votes: 69 13.7%
  • Damage, Aquarium Equipment & Livestock

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • Equipment Only

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • Equipment & Livestock

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • I Do Not Have Insurance

Votes: 43 8.6%
  • I Don't Know and Need to Check my Policy

Votes: 248 49.4%

• Total voters

Cali-Saltwater-1st-Timer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People REALLY need to verify in writing and with adjusters and underwriters that they're covered. I think some here have the false sense that they're covered and they aren't. I've literally spent the past hour calling Geico, Progressive, Farmers, State Farm, etc and they all said no. In fact, they all said you'd have a hard time finding any company to insure your home in the event of a failure. I'm talking if a seam failed, glass cracked, stand failed etc. Yes, if your ceiling fan fell and shattered the glass then you'd be covered, but manufacturer defect/failure, no. And they all said the same thing. Make sure you're speaking to the right people and not just some random rep or broker. That's a scary thing.

Last edited:

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People REALLY need to verify in writing and with adjusters and underwriters that they're covered. I think some here have the false sense that they're covered and they aren't. I've literally spent the past hour calling Geico, Progressive, Farmers, State Farm, etc and they all said no. In fact, they all said you'd have a hard time finding any company to insure your home in the event of a failure. I'm talking if a seam failed, glass cracked, stand failed etc. Yes, if your ceiling fan fell and shattered the glass then you'd be covered, but manufacturer defect/failure, no. And they all said the same thing. Make sure you're speaking to the right people and not just some random rep or broker. That's a scary thing.

That’s really interesting. There obviously have been people on the forum with tanks that have failed and I’m pretty sure they didn’t pay out of pocket for damage. So were you referring to any damage that the water caused or were you referring to being reimbursed for the tank/livestock/equipment?

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have farmers and called one day to discuss. I am covered because my policy states, any sudden onset of water. They said if a piece of the plumbing was slowly dripping and I didn't notice, nothing would be covered in that instance. If a piece of plumbing burst, or pane of glass burst, that would be considered sudden onset of water. My tank, equipment, and livestock would not be covered at all but home damages would.

Strange, because they just told me they Didn't. Getting conflicting information which is making this even more confusing.

this is typically the answer. was surprised when @MaddyP got the policy.

From my insurance policy:

SECTION I - LOSSES INSURED
12. Sudden and accidental discharge or overflow of water or steam from within a plumbing, heating, air conditioning or automatic fire protective sprinkler system, or from within a household appliance. This peril does not include loss: a. to the system or appliance from which the water or steam escaped; b. caused by or resulting from freezing; c. caused by or resulting from water or sewage from outside the residence premises plumbing system that enters through sewers or drains, or water which enters into and overflows from within a sump pump, sump pump well or any other system designed to remove subsurface water which is drained from the foundation area; or d. caused by or resulting from continuous or repeated seepage or leakage of water or steam which occurs over a period of time and results in deterioration, corrosion, rust, mold, or wet or dry rot.

State Farm explained to me aquariums fall under "household appliances" and would be covered under "Sudden / Accidental Discharge of Water" so long as the failure was sudden. The aquarium itself would not be covered under this policy, however, any equipment damaged by water would be covered.

If I am remembering correctly, there was a guy on R2R who had his aquarium covered by State Farm with no questions asked. It was his experience which lead me to speak with State Farm in the first place.

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched from progressive to farmers due to my tank. I will follow up and get the confirmation the rep assured that’s my tank damage would be covered in writing.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched from progressive to farmers due to my tank. I will follow up and get the confirmation the rep assured that’s my tank damage would be covered in writing.

yup i work for progressive (not not for home owners) and we won’t touch tanks.

Cali-Saltwater-1st-Timer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My homeowners is with progressive and they said NO I am not covered which lead me to start calling around in the first place.

Cali-Saltwater-1st-Timer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s really interesting. There obviously have been people on the forum with tanks that have failed and I’m pretty sure they didn’t pay out of pocket for damage. So were you referring to any damage that the water caused or were you referring to being reimbursed for the tank/livestock/equipment?
I'm referring to damage that water caused. In the grand scheme of things the livestock lost in my tank is minimal compared to a level or two of home being wiped out or entire flooring needing to be replaced.

OP
OP
F

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

12. Sudden and accidental discharge or overflow of water or steam from within a plumbing, heating, air conditioning or automatic fire protective sprinkler system, or from within a household appliance. This peril does not include loss: a. to the system or appliance from which the water or steam escaped; b. caused by or resulting from freezing; c. caused by or resulting from water or sewage from outside the residence premises plumbing system that enters through sewers or drains, or water which enters into and overflows from within a sump pump, sump pump well or any other system designed to remove subsurface water which is drained from the foundation area; or d. caused by or resulting from continuous or repeated seepage or leakage of water or steam which occurs over a period of time and results in deterioration, corrosion, rust, mold, or wet or dry rot.

State Farm explained to me aquariums fall under "household appliances" and would be covered under "Sudden / Accidental Discharge of Water" so long as the failure was sudden. The aquarium itself would not be covered under this policy, however, any equipment damaged by water would be covered.

If I am remembering correctly, there was a guy on R2R who had his aquarium covered by State Farm with no questions asked. It was his experience which lead me to speak with State Farm in the first place.

So Farmers is stating that an aquarium is considered an appliance. I have Farmers and my agent said it is not. I’m going to ask again.

Cali-Saltwater-1st-Timer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They told me aquariums DO NOT fall under household appliances which I specifically asked several times which is why it wouldn't be covered. Not saying you're wrong, just saying we're getting conflicting information. They said if the aquarium failed for any reason and caused water damage it nor the damage to my home would be covered.

OP
OP
F

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm referring to damage that water caused. In the grand scheme of things the livestock lost in my tank is minimal compared to a level or two of home being wiped out or entire flooring needing to be replaced.

Insurance company will cover the damage caused by the leak. It will not cover paying for the replacement of the aquarium.

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Gotcha. I know I’m covered for the damage but than again I can just hope I don’t have a massive leak to begin with. I’m not going to get into a discussion where one will say yes they’re covered and someone will say no. Either way good luck to everyone and I hope no one has a catastrophic leak. I also hope that no one has a large aquarium in a condo where they may cause tons of damage to surrounding units around them especially if they’re on a higher floor.

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have state farm and was told the same has above, that the water damage would be covered but not tank or equipment. It was a phone call where I was told, I have considered requesting the confirmation in email so I have proof other than hearsay that I was told that.

Cali-Saltwater-1st-Timer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask about damage done to the home due to the aquarium. They mentioned perils such as a falling roof or wall (like that would ever happen) being the only way they would then cover damage from the aquarium. For example, a part of a wall caved in knocking over the aquarium and flooding the home, the damage would then be covered. Lol, crazy sounding I know. That is the way it was explained to me by both Farmer and State Farm.

Cali-Saltwater-1st-Timer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. I know I’m covered for the damage but than again I can just hope I don’t have a massive leak to begin with. I’m not going to get into a discussion where one will say yes they’re covered and someone will say no. Either way good luck to everyone and I hope no one has a catastrophic leak. I also hope that no one has a large aquarium in a condo where they may cause tons of damage to surrounding units around them especially if they’re on a higher floor.
Townhome. My tank is on the second floor, so in the event something did happen two levels would be impacted.

Last edited:

Cali-Saltwater-1st-Timer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember reading somewhere that there was a specialty insurance agency (outside the states?) that would cover anything. Forgot what the name of the company was. Might look into that for this specifically.

OP
OP
F

Fringe09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember reading somewhere that there was a specialty insurance agency (outside the states?) that would cover anything. Forgot what the name of the company was. Might look into that for this specifically.

I searched for a while and did not find anything. My agent also searched for me and came back empty. The closest insurance company is Foremost as they cover specialty items. Even they would not cover aquariums.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your insurance policy should cover damage resulting from accidental tank leaks unless specifically excluded. It’s no different than any other household furniture. If you have furniture exclusions than a tank may not be covered, but run from those policies. You may also have specific causes of loss that further exclude some scenarios, in general should always run from such policies.

Tanks are considered “water filled furniture” may be defined differently but are not an appliance. An insurance agent must know this...

Sections about sumps etc don’t apply to aquariums no matter what. A tank failure is no different than say your TV catching fire due to whatever reason, your insurance company may go after the manufacturer to subrogate but they will pay you.

If you live in a building, your liability portion would pay for any damage to neighbors etc. Again unless specifically excluded it’s always subject to interpretation and in general insurance departments and courts side with insureds over these things unless there’s an exclusion.

Lloyd’s of London will insure just about anything in the world but it’s probably not worth it unless you have a very expensive system. Some other local insurers may be willing to customize an endorsement/rider and add your tank to a policy, but in general not necessary/ cost prohibitive unless your tank is specifically excluded from your home/renters policy.

Cali-Saltwater-1st-Timer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lloyd’s of London will insure just about anything in the world but it’s probably not worth it unless you have a very expensive system. Some other local insurers may be willing to customize an endorsement/rider and add your tank to a policy, but in general not necessary/ cost prohibitive unless your tank is specifically excluded from your home/renters policy.

Lloyd's of London! That's the name I've heard before willing to cover just about anything.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back