Insurance Policy for Reefing Apt Renters

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for advice on what type of Renter's Insurance policies are out there to specifically cover a catastrophic event involving a reef aquarium. Any folks in the industry or those with past experience making claims/or purchasing a policy that makes a landlord feel more comfortable with granting permission for the tank are encouraged to share!

ReefinItReal88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for advice on what type of Renter's Insurance policies are out there to specifically cover a catastrophic event involving a reef aquarium. Any folks in the industry or those with past experience making claims/or purchasing a policy that makes a landlord feel more comfortable with granting permission for the tank are encouraged to share!
None that I know of

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My renters State Farm covers it. Up to $25k to replace the tank, $250k for any damage it causes via flooding or whatever.

OP
OP
stacksoner

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My renters State Farm covers it. Up to $25k to replace the tank, $250k for any damage it causes via flooding or whatever.

Did they write a custom policy for you or is it something that they offer on a boilerplate contract?

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are we talking stuff like terrible storm knocks out power for 4 days and your tank is wiped out? Earthquake shatters tank and destroys your flooring, walls, leaks into the basement type stuff? What about a just seam failure not due to any outside influences?
My insurance (Allstate) tries to get out of paying for ANYTHING. Although we’ve only made claims on the car insurance and not the homeowners...they kinda suck.

OP
OP
stacksoner

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we talking stuff like terrible storm knocks out power for 4 days and your tank is wiped out? Earthquake shatters tank and destroys your flooring, walls, leaks into the basement type stuff? What about a just seam failure not due to any outside influences?
My insurance (Allstate) tries to get out of paying for ANYTHING. Although we’ve only made claims on the car insurance and not the homeowners...they kinda suck.

Good question. I'm speaking to seal/glass/support failure, acts of God, stand failure, siphons, or anything (much like a car accident). I don't want to have to haggle with them over a technicality in the event of a catastrophic tank spill.

xhkYoq.gif

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what the right answer is but when I was shopping for it I was told no policy will cover the apartment property.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It covers everything except living animals. So seem failures and things are covered, earthquakes are a different insurance. This might also vary by state. I know my answer to be factual in CA.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 26 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back