Integrating the Alkatronic, Apex and Dos *Final revisions* for alk, pH control with staggered chased dosing.

Reefinmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the culmination of 4+ months of experimenting with toggling between alkalinity additives based on tank pH to maintain stable & proper pH while integrating the Alkatronic with the Apex and Dos pumps for additive control. In general, It's been working better than I could've expected. I started with pH as low as 7.58 and was lucky to average 8.00. now I have an average pH of 8.30 +/- 0.07 in a house with 2-3x atmospheric levels of CO2 and NO SKIMMER! One obstacle in my previous method was the inconsistency in how wizard sliced up the doses. Often times they're every 11 minutes or 14 minutes. Over time it became apparent that the Alkatronic would draw a sample at the same time a dose was being dispensed giving false high readings that'd over apply the brakes causing the next reading to be pretty low. Focustronic has mentioned the ability to schedule test times in a future update but they've also been promising expanded usage of the doser pump for over a year now... The alkatronic always starts it's test at the top of the hour and a sample is drawn between 60-120 seconds later. I have another thread detailing the past couple months here https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/i...-and-dos-for-stable-alkalinity-and-ph.784144/ . This explains most of the reasoning for the specific pH and alk numbers I chose. The important thing to note is that if your alk is "X.YZ"- you can modify X and Y to fit your desired alkalinity but keep the Z decimal the same.

The goals for this revision are:
⦁ pH control via dosing(no change from before)
⦁ Up to 4 alk doses per hour; avoiding alkatronic interference
⦁ Staggered Calcium(and potentially mag/ partC) doses that "chase" the alk dose ml for ml
⦁ Minimal amount of adjustments to expand with growth in demand.

With this method, all additives can be adjusted by modifying a single dos profile for the maximum demand and they will be dosed in proportion to the calcium dose. modifications can be made with additional profiles. The next post will contain all the code In case there are typos I missed.

PERFECT1.jpg PERFECT2.jpg PERFECT3.jpg

OP
OP
R

Reefinmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
VIRTUAL OUTPUTS
pH High - Toggles the alk dose to an additive that has a lesser effect on pH when above 8.25 for 15 minutes
⦁ Set OFF
⦁ If PH > 8.25 Then ON
⦁ Defer 015:00 Then ON
⦁ Defer 015:00 Then OFF

pH_LOW - Toggles the alk dose to an additive that has a greater impact on pH when the above VO is OFF.
⦁ Set ON
⦁ If Output pH_HIGH = ON Then OFF

PEAK_DEMAND - Assists in stabilizing alk around peak lighting by disabling the lowest level brake below.
⦁ Set OFF
⦁ If Time 14:00 to 23:59 Then ON

BRAKE_TAP - Omits the first dose of the hour when the alkatronic sends a 9.3 or higher signal(except during peak demand)
⦁ Set OFF
⦁ OSC 000:00/015:00/045:00 Then ON
⦁ If ALK < 9.23 Then OFF
⦁ If Output PEAK_DEMAND = ON Then OFF

BRAKE_HARD - Omits the third dose of the hour when the alkatronic sends a 9.4+ signal
⦁ Set OFF
⦁ OSC 030:00/015:00/015:00 Then ON
⦁ If ALK < 9.33 Then OFF

BRAKE_SLAM - Omits the 4th and final dose of the hour when the alkatronic sends a 9.5+ signal
⦁ Set OFF
⦁ OSC 045:00/015:00/000:00 Then ON
⦁ If ALK < 9.43 Then OFF

DOSING OFF - Omits all dosing when the alkatronic sends a 9.6+ signal
⦁ Set OFF
⦁ If ALK > 9.53 Then ON
⦁ If Output BIG_WC = ON Then ON
⦁ If Output pH_DISASTER = ON Then ON
⦁ Defer 005:00 Then OFF

ALK_TRIGGER - Turns on for two minutes a maximum of 4 times per hour to trigger an alkalinity dose. The initial off time of 5 minutes allows it to dose between the times the alkatronic pulls tank water. The majority of the safegaurds and control is tied to this VO
⦁ OSC 005:00/002:00/008:00 Then ON
⦁ If Output BRAKE_TAP = ON Then OFF
⦁ If Output BRAKE_HARD = ON Then OFF
⦁ If Output BRAKE_SLAM = ON Then OFF
⦁ If Output DOSING_OFF = ON Then OFF
⦁ If Output BRAKE_STUCK = ON Then OFF
⦁ If Output TRONIC_ERROR = ON Then OFF
⦁ If Output pH_DISASTER = ON Then OFF

ALK_CHASER - turns on with every alk dose and stays on for an additional 7 minutes to allow the calcium dose to chase it.
⦁ Set OFF
⦁ If Output ALK_TRIGGER = ON Then ON
⦁ Defer 007:00 Then OFF

CAL_TRIGGER - turns on 7 minutes after the alk dose is first dispensed and stays on for two more minutes while the calcium dos is dispensing the profile.
⦁ Set OFF
⦁ If Output ALK_CHASER = ON Then ON
⦁ Defer 007:00 Then ON

BRAKE_STUCK - Detects potential issues when the two hardest brakes are applied for over 3 hours
⦁ Set OFF
⦁ If Output BRAKE_SLAM = ON Then ON
⦁ If Output DOSING_OFF = ON Then ON
⦁ Defer 180:00 Then ON

TRONIC_ERROR - Detects if the alkatronic has lost power and is sending a 7.00 signal. It prevents overdosing by defaulting to a maximum of half the hourly doses.
⦁ Set OFF
⦁ OSC 000:00/030:00/030:00 Then ON
⦁ If ALK > 7.50 Then OFF

pH DISASTER - triggers alarms and cuts power to all dos pumps for unexpectedly high pH. defer code prevents false alarms.
⦁ Set OFF
⦁ If PH > 8.49 Then ON
⦁ Defer 003:00 Then ON
⦁ Defer 060:00 Then OFF
PHYSICAL OUTLET CONTROL
DOS CODE FOR LOW pH ADDITIVE - toggles additives for finely tuned pH
⦁ Fallback OFF
⦁ Set OFF
⦁ If Output ALK_TRIGGER = ON Then ALK_DOSE
⦁ If Output pH_LOW = ON Then OFF

DOS CODE FOR HIGH pH ADDITIVE- Gives pH the boost it needs when low while keeping alkalinity in control.
⦁ Fallback OFF
⦁ Set OFF
⦁ If Output ALK_TRIGGER = ON Then ALK_DOSE
⦁ If Output pH_HIGH = ON Then OFF

DOS CODE FOR CALCIUM OR OTHER CHASER DOSE
  • fallback OFF
  • Set OFF
  • if Output CAL_TRIGGER = ON then 1CAL_DOSE
DOS POWER SUPPLY- Only used for emergency shutoff of all dosers.
⦁ Fallback OFF
⦁ Set ON
⦁ If Output pH_DISASTER = ON Then OFF
⦁ If ALK > 9.90 Then OFF

I've attached a rather crude minute by minute illustration of when the alkatronic tests and how this system avoids overlaps. excuse the handwriting!

PERFECT4.jpg

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back