Intentionally Killing a Fish That is Impossible to Remove for a Fallow Period for ICH Management

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrewFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a question for folks: is there any way to intentionally kill a fish without harming corals in order to go into a fallow period for ICH eradication?

I have gotten all of my fish out of my tank except for 1: A lawnmower blenny. He sleeps inside my rock work at night. He also does not eat any sort of frozen or prepared food so traditional fish traps wont work. I can't begin my 76 day fallow period with him in the tank, and removing all of the rock work to get him is not an option.

If he is left in the tank, the ICH will remain. He does not seem to be impacted. Having him remain in the tank means that ICH will take more fish, including the tangs that I pulled out of the tank. It is literally a situation of sacrificing the one for the needs of the many. I hate to do it. He is cute as hell, but I can't get him out otherwise.

Anyone have any thoughts?

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm terrible at catching fish. I don't know how people do it. My fish always hide under rocks when they see the net.

So what I've started doing is draining the entire tank. When they're flopping around on the sand, theyre a lot easier to catch. It sounds extreme but its the only way I can catch difficult fish.

burton14e7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue with a golden midas blenny. I just lifted the rock out of the water over my temporary tank and he wiggled his way out of the rock and dropped into the water.

OP
OP
DrewFish

DrewFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you want to murder your pet because he outsmarts? Seriously...?
And put his head on a pike as a warning to others to cooperate!

Read the post. Either I get him out, or MORE pets die. If you have something useful to add, please do, else move on.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Our TOS:
Ethical fishkeeping:
  • The owners of Reef2Reef adhere to certain standards of ethical fish keeping. We believe that freshwater and saltwater aquarists are directly responsible for the health and well being of any aquatic animals in their care, be they fish or invertebrate. These responsibilities include providing a healthy aquatic environment, humane treatment, humane euthanasia (when required), as well as obtaining and disposing of aquatic animals in such a way that does not damage sensitive local ecosystems. Posts advocating the illegal collection of fish or invertebrates, inhumane treatment, flushing live animals down the toilet, or releasing them into the wild will be removed.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also I’ve had this issue and you just have to tear the tank apart and remove the rock he sleeps in! Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back