Interested in fragging palys, but don’t know how.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2R!

I’m interested in fragging my cinnamon palys, but I don’t know how. I have super glue and extra frag plugs, but I don’t know how to go about cutting them and such.

I’m wanting to frag all of these to provide more room for the baby heads to grow, not necessarily to sell at this point:
106ED27B-1675-4AEE-95D7-CC55F7077E42.jpeg

There’s 3 big heads and then at least 6 of the “baby” heads you see.

Advice? Thoughts?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Gloves and eye protection, first of all. Grandis are nasty, nasty toxic. Put them in a container of water to calm down before adding them back to your tank, and make sure to run carbon.

Aside from that, yeah, it's easy. Get some bone cutters/coral cutters online, and chop off a piece. Try to cut between polyps instead of directly into polyp stems, and don't be afraid to chop through whatever base they're on. You can re-enlarge the base later.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gloves and eye protection, first of all. Grandis are nasty, nasty toxic. Put them in a container of water to calm down before adding them back to your tank, and make sure to run carbon.

Aside from that, yeah, it's easy. Get some bone cutters/coral cutters online, and chop off a piece. Try to cut between polyps instead of directly into polyp stems, and don't be afraid to chop through whatever base they're on. You can re-enlarge the base later.
It’s that easy?

Also, what about glue?

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use gorilla glue gel type or crazy glue gel type. Or buy a coral glue from brs.
it’s all the same. Just make not to put too much don’t want to get too much on the paly

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use gorilla glue gel type or crazy glue gel type. Or buy a coral glue from brs.
it’s all the same. Just make not to put too much don’t want to get too much on the paly
Ok, thank you! I was just concerned that the glue on coral contact may hurt it.

Also a little nervous as this is my first time fragging. It’s not right in my mind to cut through the soft tissue of a Paly. ;Dead

Frostblitz20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just wear gloves and googles as since its a paly you dont want to get poisoned. i had a scare when i used bone cutters on a fragplug of zoas and it slipped and sliced my finger open that was againts the zoa's..

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2R!

I’m interested in fragging my cinnamon palys, but I don’t know how. I have super glue and extra frag plugs, but I don’t know how to go about cutting them and such.

I’m wanting to frag all of these to provide more room for the baby heads to grow, not necessarily to sell at this point:
106ED27B-1675-4AEE-95D7-CC55F7077E42.jpeg

There’s 3 big heads and then at least 6 of the “baby” heads you see.

Advice? Thoughts?
As others mentioned, it’s not too hard to do, just make sure to wear gloves and eye protection. But you don’t really need to frag them to make room for more polyps to grow, if you just glue the plug they’re on onto the rock work (or even a larger plug/tile), they’ll just spread out more. Unless you want to sell them, have multiple colonies throughout your tank, or you want to keep the colony small (which if that’s the case, why worry about growing new heads?), it would make more sense to keep the colony together and just provide more space for growth (ie more rock/plug/tile).

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others mentioned, it’s not too hard to do, just make sure to wear gloves and eye protection. But you don’t really need to frag them to make room for more polyps to grow, if you just glue the plug they’re on onto the rock work (or even a larger plug/tile), they’ll just spread out more. Unless you want to sell them, have multiple colonies throughout your tank, or you want to keep the colony small (which if that’s the case, why worry about growing new heads?), it would make more sense to keep the colony together and just provide more space for growth (ie more rock/plug/tile).
I don’t really have an intention on selling right now, but the baby heads are just getting shaded by the big heads and aren’t getting that much color. (As you can see from the picture, they are also growing on a weird rubble piece, which adds to the mix)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 37.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back