Interested in Gyre XF200 series pumps? Have some already? Come check them out! | BRStv Spotlight

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t seen much on placing these pumps vertically, even though it was touched on briefly in the video. Have you tested this out much?

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t seen much on placing these pumps vertically, even though it was touched on briefly in the video. Have you tested this out much?

Great question for further experimenting! I think I'm going to try something new pertaining to videos and I'll see about using this question as the pilot. :)

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great question for further experimenting! I think I'm going to try something new pertaining to videos and I'll see about using this question as the pilot. :)

That'd be awesome!

I'm really curious how effective they can be creating a gyre when placed vertically on the back wall of a tank.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am receiving 3 college credit hours for figuring out how to program mine.

Another great mini-topic to explore with additional videos! Rather than bore everyone with 4-5mins of button presses in the full Spotlight, what if we circled back and answered finer details like this in a video of it's own?

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had mine for many months now. I would suggest you also explore using them in a vertical position. I much prefer it. The horizontal mounting gives you high flow across the top of the tank and the bottom.

Just another great thing I learned on R2R

U

User1

View Badges
To the person who asked about sales - I'll second the Black Friday sale(s). That is when I picked up my first XF250. Later picked up a 2nd one since the price was right. Having said that they are a blessing and a curse. First, they do move a metric ton of water. No doubt about it. The controller isn't bad once you get the hang of it. Someone here, the name is escaping me (poo!), did a good video on using the controller with custom times. I'd say search on that to get an idea. I watched it once or twice and now the controller is a no brainer. Doesn't mean I like it but it is easier to navigate. Before I ramble a bit more I'll list some pro and cons has I see it after using them for about 6 months. Note - I still use them, and find them good, just wish for a few feature changes.

Cons:
1. Extra controller. For those with controllers I'm tired of all the dongles, switches, controllers, or wifi apps if you already have a controller. We need some standards much like remote controls at home. Look at the base price of the pump minus the controller to get an idea of how much you would save if it self integrated to a controller.
2. Power plug attach point on controller. Seems to fall out frequently. Maybe mine but a slight bump and poof - disconnected.
3. Editor. There is a firmware sd card slot. One would think that you can insert a sd card, export your program or programs, load onto pc, edit, and import. Or better yet Hey Joe, here is my XF program...sharing is caring has my niece always reminds me.
4. Missing nutrient export feature. They are using their own programs and while good I don't see anything that would resemble a tidal swell or nutrient export.

Pros:
1. Moves water. A lot of water.
2. A / B combo. You can mix and match blades (A/B directional) and get some great water movement. One complaint, usually unfounded, is people say it does nothing when ramping negative/down. Of course, in order for that to work you have to swap the blade(s) and then it will move water. Pretty unique feature I have to say when placed accordingly. Something I'd recommend experimenting with.
3. Positional. Vertical or horizontal mix with blades and no other pump has as much flexibility. It is like a new pump. Others you use their programs or customize your own (reef angel with my RW 8s I did this). However, in this case I can place along side my back wall, add A and B blades and push a lot of water forward and then backward behind the rocks.
4. Maintenance. Ignoring deep cleaning so far the couple months I've used them, with a new tank cycle and ugly stuff, they hold power and do not have a high fall off due to grime and dirt. I like this.
5. Accessories. If that is your thing but the batter backup is a nice feature.
6. Strombus Grazers breeding ground. Ok, this isn't a plus. However, both of my pumps seem to be the go to place for the little fella's. With other pumps I've have Strombus snails getting caught, and in some cases, stuck between the shields and blades. This usually caused my power heads to fail, over heat, burn, whatever it is they do. So far with these I've had zero issues. Now all I have to do is ask these guys to stop loitering around them.

If I had to pick one thing that really bugs me outside the controller part is import and export feature. There is a SD card slot like I said but that is for firmware only. And additional step may have made a nice quality of life improvement for many people. Not to mention sharing of code.

ducklady

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one love it however it was short lived. First deep cleaning was a pain took me 3 days to get it back up and running. Then the motor went out in 9 months. Good company service sent me a new one. It also went out I threw out the whole thing.

Reefing In Turkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this controller looks amazing
(so powerful)
However the OCD in me want to use my apex for everything!

If I am planning on using 2 pumps in a
gradual pulse with revese time delay setting. Am I setting myself up for more trouble than is worth it for forgo the stock controller for 2 icecap adaptors and apex programming? To be honest as I am about to place an order I have no idea how I would program the apex. Will probably involve several more questions if I go this way.

Thanks all.

Keep it up.

InsaneClownfishPosse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running the gyres since they first came out. I love them! I started with 1 150 in my 150g then, when I upgraded to my current 8' 300g, I upgraded to 2 250s. I run the preprogrammed oceanic gyre mode peeking at 100%.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am with @InsaneClownfishPosse . I have been running my 130's since they came out.

I purchased the new controller and agree, it would be nice to see a videos on how to program the controllers. I run mine on Lunar mode and I know I could do better just with a better understanding how to program.

How to hook up the back up battery with a controller. It is probably simple, but it would be nice.

wranodj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moves a lot of water! I hate to take them apart to clean though. Prefer to soak in vinger or muriatic acid every fee months.

U

User1

View Badges
(so powerful)

gradual pulse with revese time delay setting. Am I setting myself up for more trouble than is worth it for forgo the stock controller for 2 icecap adaptors and apex programming? To be honest as I am about to place an order I have no idea how I would program the apex. Will probably involve several more questions if I go this way.

Thanks all.

Keep it up.

Well, per my con above, yes you can. You will need an accessory for that, which is extra cost. Furthermore, please do some internet searches because I think they are limited to the model they support. Please don't quote me on that but has I was looking at them I also wanted to use a controller. Either my Apex or Reef Angel. Boy - the days of buying a 20 dollar cable and attaching a pair of RW8's for whatever flow I wanted...

https://blog.coralvue.com/icecap-gyre-module/

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(so powerful)
Thanks all.
Keep it up.

If you're looking to mimic the same Apex Programming we did on the BRS160 you can download the program by searching for the following schemes in Apex Fusion! ;)

" BRS160_LEFT_GYRE "
" BRS160_RIGHT_GYRE "

Also, check out THIS VIDEO for Ryan's explanation of what this flow looks like.

-Randy

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back