Interested in trying marine/reef from Freshwater perspective

SC017

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As title suggests, had freshwater tank for few years now and moved recently meaning my 50G tank is now empty and thought it'd be an opportunity to try marine.
Initially interested by the Marine Comet and recently corals as well, so would like to try both (though I'm aware the former is both difficult to find and feed).
After doing my best at research, figured I'd try a more direct approach of asking, as I've never been very good at the google-fu.

The main difficulty I've been having is trying to understand the Equipment:
1. What equipment do I actually need? I've read posts from one spectrum that I need every piece of kit under the sun to those that say canister filters are actually a negative due to production of nitrates(?) and biological filtration can be done entirely by a Skimmer and well-circulated live rock.
2. Where and what of those should I buy. I'm aware I need a light to grow corals, but for a 100cmX40cm tank which I pick for good coverage? how do I know if its suitable for corals? (Do I even need to worry about that or does any light at the correct brightness work?) The same goes for pumps/wavemakers, what is suitable for my tank, creates low noise (Tank is in a bedroom) and how do I know if I have too much or too little current?
3. What is the list that I should be focussing on? I'm naturally limited by budget, so if a piece of gear can wait a month or two during the initial cycle period then that is useful information to know.

I am not able to have a sump, so am limited to things such as hang on back skimmers or canister filters. Initial budget currently is approximately £500 GBP, can go higher with time.
Was very interested by the idea of a tank only reliant on skimmer for filtration with live rock doing the rest, but it sounds like one of those "too good to be true" things like I'm missing a cache or big fat asterisk.

I planned on having live rock(the idea of all the unknown critters it brings sounds very interesting), but also unsure how or which to get, as I've heard many different types (I think?).
Also interested to know what water test kits people recommend, used to have strips for freshwater but they never felt accurate in the slightest to the point I believe they didnt work at all, would like to have something that's cheapish but functional.

Also interested in hearing some recommendations of good fish to start off with, I'm unfortunately cursed to be the most interested in fish that are difficult to care for. Liked the look of Marine Betta/Comet, Mandarins, Naoko Wrasses, Copperbanded Butterflies. All of which seem to have one or another significant issue that makes them unsuitable for a starter fish, lol.

Appreciations in advance for advices.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a HOB filter like a seachem tidal (or aquaclear or fluval c series) or similar style that doesn't use cartridges OR get an AIO insert from fijicube.

As for live rock, I am not a big fan due to price and long term issues with pests but arc reef seems neat especially for the price. Real Reef Rock is also another one. https://arcreef.com/live-rock/

HOB refugiums are nice and fijicube makes one that fits with their AIO filter box.

For test kits, it depends on your budget. This is a good starter. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/compact-lab-essentials-test-kit-tropic-marin.html?dfw_tracker=43788-211793&utm_term=&utm_campaign=EL+|+ACQ_Prospecting_Shopping+|+ROAS+|+All+Products&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&hsa_acc=7373341438&hsa_cam=11496128324&hsa_grp=111757179109&hsa_ad=475916932266&hsa_src=g&hsa_tgt=aud-980602920931:pla-541667902040&hsa_kw=&hsa_mt=&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_ver=3&gclid=Cj0KCQjwkIGKBhCxARIsAINMioI2BoIMgcdEwij3aHDNWD5GPy1CX1XUnu1a9cg-SAZbGOgl-TKlnPcaAi1GEALw_wcB

When you get corals or want to keep coralline algae, get a nicer alk test and add a calcium (and magnesium but less important).

As for fish, it depends.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the Salty side
ZomboMeme 04112020233053.jpg

Jd120988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly you still have alot of questions which is absolutely normal and many people here have no problem answering any you have. The best advice I can give is to look into brs 52 weeks of reefing on YouTube if you haven't already. Those videos will answer so many of your questions and help you out getting a good idea of where to start. I would say your budget is possible to get a nice start. Don't be afraid buying some things second hand especially things like lights and a skimmer(clean it good obviously lol). Check your local area for reefer clubs and maybe u can find some killer deals on things there that you will need. I'm sorry I know I didn't answer any of your questions but brs 52 weeks of reefing helped me when I was first getting started. Here's a picture of my current tank from a few minutes ago for some inspiration lol. She'll be 1 year in October and it's one of my favorite tanks I've had yet. Good luck in your journey and happy reefing! 20210914_171751.jpg

OP
OP
S

SC017

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a HOB filter like a seachem tidal (or aquaclear or fluval c series) or similar style that doesn't use cartridges OR get an AIO insert from fijicube.

As for live rock, I am not a big fan due to price and long term issues with pests but arc reef seems neat especially for the price. Real Reef Rock is also another one. https://arcreef.com/live-rock/

HOB refugiums are nice and fijicube makes one that fits with their AIO filter box.

For test kits, it depends on your budget. This is a good starter. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/compact-lab-essentials-test-kit-tropic-marin.html?dfw_tracker=43788-211793&utm_term=&utm_campaign=EL+|+ACQ_Prospecting_Shopping+|+ROAS+|+All+Products&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&hsa_acc=7373341438&hsa_cam=11496128324&hsa_grp=111757179109&hsa_ad=475916932266&hsa_src=g&hsa_tgt=aud-980602920931:pla-541667902040&hsa_kw=&hsa_mt=&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_ver=3&gclid=Cj0KCQjwkIGKBhCxARIsAINMioI2BoIMgcdEwij3aHDNWD5GPy1CX1XUnu1a9cg-SAZbGOgl-TKlnPcaAi1GEALw_wcB

When you get corals or want to keep coralline algae, get a nicer alk test and add a calcium (and magnesium but less important).

As for fish, it depends.
What makes you reccomend these parts over the others? What are the alternatives to live rock?

No light suggestions at all?

Appreciate the test kit, but I don't understand the specifics of the rest.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What makes you reccomend these parts over the others? What are the alternatives to live rock?

No light suggestions at all?

Appreciate the test kit, but I don't understand the specifics of the rest.
The Seachem Tidal is an awesome filter, one of the best IMO. Aqua clear is OK but not near as good in my book.

Depends on your budget as far as the lighting goes. If you go with Bluetooth/LED, you can except to spend around $600-$800.

—-

Live rock will help cycle the tank faster and also has a more appealing looking than dry rock.

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights will depend on what you want to keep. Will you be ok with just softies and some easier lps corals or will you want an anemone/ harder corals like sps in the future. You can go t5s but will be replacing bulbs every 8-10 months, or led which would be a higher investment to start but cost less in the long run IMO. Brands like AI, kessil, eco tech, orphek all make good led units. You could also get the cheaper black box style ebay leds which grow coral but don’t look as nice.

Powerheads are just as vast. Look for the same brands as well as koralia and jebao, although I’ve never had a single jebao last longer than 6-7 months without breaking. You’ll want the tank to turnover about 25-40x IMO.

OP
OP
S

SC017

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at 2 of these "Jecod" pumps, are they the same thing as "Jebao"? :https://www.swelluk.com/d-and-d-jec...DlUyFdZnMGhcY6b-Ghzx-kzy13D5RNrwaAhIPEALw_wcB

As for light, discussion with the family showed that most interest was in Floating Xenia, Branching Hammer and zoanthids. While some SPS coral's seemed interesting, I'm not planning on getting them simply due to cost at the moment, and being a starter. So preferably something for under £200 ish that can handle a 100x40cm area if possible.

I've been assuming that rock/wavemakers are probably the first things I'll want in the tank due to fact the rock is used as the home for the nitrogen cycle bacteria, which I'm accustomed to for freshwater as being the most important thing.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
couple random thoughts...i have no clue what the tapwater is like in your area...so if you'll be making your own saltwater an RO/DI system may be necessary for initial mix and topoff from evaporation...some poeple get away without them, some go without for a while then issues crop up where you realize you would have been better off in the first place...of course if you have access to natural sea water or a good LFS you can get the water there but it needs to be part of the maintainance budget....never been a fan of HOB skimmers as they can overflow onto the floor...most of our "fresh out of the ocean" live rock here comes from florida and i have no clue how sucessfully that can be shipped to england or at what cost...heck the frozen food i use is illegal to ship to the UK or europe...from the sound of your budget lighting will be a "chinese black box"....plenty of people have success with them and it beats 600 for a name brand ....if you pick up some used stuff at least you can resell it for the same price if you upgrade or bail out

atomos

52 32 52 20 52 6f 63 6b 73
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jayoman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As title suggests, had freshwater tank for few years now and moved recently meaning my 50G tank is now empty and thought it'd be an opportunity to try marine.
Initially interested by the Marine Comet and recently corals as well, so would like to try both (though I'm aware the former is both difficult to find and feed).
After doing my best at research, figured I'd try a more direct approach of asking, as I've never been very good at the google-fu.

The main difficulty I've been having is trying to understand the Equipment:
1. What equipment do I actually need? I've read posts from one spectrum that I need every piece of kit under the sun to those that say canister filters are actually a negative due to production of nitrates(?) and biological filtration can be done entirely by a Skimmer and well-circulated live rock.
2. Where and what of those should I buy. I'm aware I need a light to grow corals, but for a 100cmX40cm tank which I pick for good coverage? how do I know if its suitable for corals? (Do I even need to worry about that or does any light at the correct brightness work?) The same goes for pumps/wavemakers, what is suitable for my tank, creates low noise (Tank is in a bedroom) and how do I know if I have too much or too little current?
3. What is the list that I should be focussing on? I'm naturally limited by budget, so if a piece of gear can wait a month or two during the initial cycle period then that is useful information to know.

I am not able to have a sump, so am limited to things such as hang on back skimmers or canister filters. Initial budget currently is approximately £500 GBP, can go higher with time.
Was very interested by the idea of a tank only reliant on skimmer for filtration with live rock doing the rest, but it sounds like one of those "too good to be true" things like I'm missing a cache or big fat asterisk.

I planned on having live rock(the idea of all the unknown critters it brings sounds very interesting), but also unsure how or which to get, as I've heard many different types (I think?).
Also interested to know what water test kits people recommend, used to have strips for freshwater but they never felt accurate in the slightest to the point I believe they didnt work at all, would like to have something that's cheapish but functional.

Also interested in hearing some recommendations of good fish to start off with, I'm unfortunately cursed to be the most interested in fish that are difficult to care for. Liked the look of Marine Betta/Comet, Mandarins, Naoko Wrasses, Copperbanded Butterflies. All of which seem to have one or another significant issue that makes them unsuitable for a starter fish, lol.

Appreciations in advance for advices.
I started in freshwater as well. There are many ways you can go but given your budget limitations you may have challenges picking equipment. I used a AquaMaxx 1.5 on a 46 gal tank. I also used a marine land 360 canister filter and made an aqua clear 50 into a hang on the back refugium and a eheim 200 heater. Ran as a reef tank for 4 years. Nitrates were tough to control because I cleaned the canister filter once a month. I didn’t keep acros so I ran a pair of Current USA Marine lights and a lumilite reef brite bar. If you use an auto top off you should be able to keep it quiet. The key is to start with Rodi water and keep up with maintenance with whatever equipment you get. 98CC93C2-B201-413E-935C-E5170CFDED99.jpeg
I have since upgraded to a Cade 1500 peninsula. Keep researching and you’ll make it work.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back