Interesting cycling reading 0 ammonia and 0 nitrate?

thewire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started cycling almost 2-3 weeks plus ago using the Brightwell Quikcycle and Bacter XLM fishless cycling (again). I started clean from the dry rock after bleaching and drying them and dry sand.

For the longest time I have 2 PPM Ammonia then 1 PPM and 0 nitrate reading. Then today I have 0 ammonia and still 0 nitrate reading? Maybe tomorrow or two days I might see nitrate??

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having the same issue. I’ve cycled tons of tanks but I literally cannot get a nitrite reading out of this 16 gallon biocube. Nitrates read <5ppm (can’t tell any more accurately) and I’ve chucked fish flakes, mysis, and a whole store bought shrimp into it. Never got an ammonia or nitrite reading. I mixed 7 gallons new saltwater with 5 gallons from a wc on my 32 Gal dt. Also used established filter media.

OP
OP
thewire

thewire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having the same issue. I’ve cycled tons of tanks but I literally cannot get a nitrite reading out of this 16 gallon biocube. Nitrates read <5ppm (can’t tell any more accurately) and I’ve chucked fish flakes, mysis, and a whole store bought shrimp into it. Never got an ammonia or nitrite reading. I mixed 7 gallons new saltwater with 5 gallons from a wc on my 32 Gal dt. Also used established filter media.
I have cycled 3 tanks in my previous reef life before using established media.
I have tested nitrite as well 0 ! ..so is my tank cycle? i dosed the ammonia per instruction

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you dosed the right amount of bacteria?2-3 weeks it should be cycled by now. What test kits are you using? You could always dose more ammonia chloride and see over a couple days if this lowers, which would mean you have live bacteria.

OP
OP
thewire

thewire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you dosed the right amount of bacteria?2-3 weeks it should be cycled by now. What test kits are you using? You could always dose more ammonia chloride and see over a couple days if this lowers, which would mean you have live bacteria.
Oh ya more than enough bacteria. The ammonia went from 2ppm to 0. I used api test kit

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Api is the worst. Most fall victim (including myself) get false negatives. Use salifert or red sea...and Hanna if you bougie

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 57.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 56 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 68 35.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.2%
Back