Internal Parasites/fin rot

onetootreefor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently got a regal angelfish that was qt’d for 6 weeks from a reputible source I get all my fish from. (Im not concerned about the seller, things happen stuff can get missed, just glad it wasnt something more severe)

Day 2 I noticed white stringy poop, but the fish was still eating like a pig.
I started doing metro soaked food.

It quickly got worse and turned to fin rot, and eventually spread to the body around the gills. The fish had large white growths.

I stuck to the metro regimen and even bumped it up to 2x a day for a couple days. Here we are 18 days later, and the fish has almost fully recovered. No more white growths, super active, not hiding, not skiddish, scars and body seem to be healed.

I plan to continue the metro soaked food 1x a day until I reach 3 weeks to be sure, but the angels fins are still tattered. He can use them fine, and he can swim great, but they are clearly not full. Will the fins ever recover now that the bacterial infection is gone, or is he doomed for life with tattered fins?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently got a regal angelfish that was qt’d for 6 weeks from a reputible source I get all my fish from. (Im not concerned about the seller, things happen stuff can get missed, just glad it wasnt something more severe)

Day 2 I noticed white stringy poop, but the fish was still eating like a pig.
I started doing metro soaked food.

It quickly got worse and turned to fin rot, and eventually spread to the body around the gills. The fish had large white growths.

I stuck to the metro regimen and even bumped it up to 2x a day for a couple days. Here we are 18 days later, and the fish has almost fully recovered. No more white growths, super active, not hiding, not skiddish, scars and body seem to be healed.

I plan to continue the metro soaked food 1x a day until I reach 3 weeks to be sure, but the angels fins are still tattered. He can use them fine, and he can swim great, but they are clearly not full. Will the fins ever recover now that the bacterial infection is gone, or is he doomed for life with tattered fins?
Can you post a picture taken under whites lights?
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His fins are relatively clear, not sure if ill be able to take a good pic but will try tomorrow.
Well, fin recovery is based on how far back the fins are damaged. If the cells that grow the fins (at their base) are undamaged, the fins will grow back in time, but if the cells are damaged, the fins will grow back incompletely, or not at all. I can sometimes make an educated guess by seeing the fins.

Jay

OP
OP
onetootreefor

onetootreefor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, fin recovery is based on how far back the fins are damaged. If the cells that grow the fins (at their base) are undamaged, the fins will grow back in time, but if the cells are damaged, the fins will grow back incompletely, or not at all. I can sometimes make an educated guess by seeing the fins.

Jay
Tried to get a good pic but he’s quick! Hopefully you can see the damage in these 3

Attachments

• 3FE97D34-56EB-48AE-9459-DEA5B8604D61.jpeg
    3FE97D34-56EB-48AE-9459-DEA5B8604D61.jpeg
    138.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 371FD5AD-59DC-43B2-A676-7DE12331D4E3.jpeg
    371FD5AD-59DC-43B2-A676-7DE12331D4E3.jpeg
    191.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 9322DFB4-AAA9-409C-B5D0-82F11283714E.jpeg
    9322DFB4-AAA9-409C-B5D0-82F11283714E.jpeg
    180.2 KB · Views: 61

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those fins are quite capable of regrowing. It may take two weeks, but as long as new injuries or severe infection don’t occur they can heal pretty quickly.
Jay

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back