Internal Issues

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GC’s metro concentration is the maximum you can safely dose, but if you wanted to dose it every 48 hours (to treat brook or uronema) then just use Seachem Metroplex in-between GC dosing.

Ok, thanks. I'm not planning on prophylactically treating for brook or uronema, so I'll just stick to the dosing you recommended.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a wrasse in the display with white stringy poop. Stomach is not sunken, but full, if not a little bulged. Eats and behaves normally. Have had the fish in the display about a year.

I have prazi-pro on hand and would be interested in soaking frozen Mysis or flakes/pellets in prazi.

How much prazi-pro liquid for, say, a cube of Mysis? I have no concerns about adding prazi to the display, but I wouldn't want to hurt the fish with too much, since all fishes are otherwise perfectly healthy.

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish Thank you very much for your informative posts. Can I ask you, please?

Two of my clownfishes are showing signs of parasites, white poop, etc. I've set a QT and dosed one pack of API GC two days ago, but I didn't have time to establish a proper bacterial filtration, so I see a small ammonia spike.
My question is, how long the GC should stay in the water column to be effective before I can dilute it with a water change? How often water changes can be performed after the medicine is dosed.

Or I should replenish the amount of medicine removed with the water change? For example, I did 5g water change, so I mix then 1/2 of the pack in the new water that I'm adding back.

Thanks again. :)

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish Thank you very much for your informative posts. Can I ask you, please?

Two of my clownfishes are showing signs of parasites, white poop, etc. I've set a QT and dosed one pack of API GC two days ago, but I didn't have time to establish a proper bacterial filtration, so I see a small ammonia spike.
My question is, how long the GC should stay in the water column to be effective before I can dilute it with a water change? How often water changes can be performed after the medicine is dosed.

Or I should replenish the amount of medicine removed with the water change? For example, I did 5g water change, so I mix then 1/2 of the pack in the new water that I'm adding back.

Thanks again. :)

For internal parasites the fish have to ingest the medication, use General cure, Seachem Focus and mix with food per the instructions. Just dosing the water will not work. Water changes are irrelevent tot this method, you can do one now

Start right away before they stop eating

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For internal parasites the fish have to ingest the medication, use General cure, Seachem Focus and mix with food per the instructions.

Start right way before they stop eating

Thank you for your comment, but fish can drink water with medicine in it - it's the same.

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is unlikely to work, its not the same

While soaking is the best way to do it, I can't process that way as the fish is not eating. This is a little bit offtopic ;) my question was about the water changes. ;Shamefullyembarrased I know you're trying to help and I really appreciate it, but I'd love to hear about the medicine in water.

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While soaking is the best way to do it, I can't process that way as the fish is not eating. This is a little bit offtopic ;) my question was about the water changes. ;Shamefullyembarrased I know you're trying to help and I really appreciate it, but I'd love to hear about the medicine in water.

Okay, if the fish is not eating then its tough

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, if the fish is not eating then its tough

Yep, trying to help as I can. I'm sure the medicine will work that way as well. I'm just not sure about the concentration in the water and if it can be overdosed or not. Thanks again man.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a wrasse in the display with white stringy poop. Stomach is not sunken, but full, if not a little bulged. Eats and behaves normally. Have had the fish in the display about a year.

I have prazi-pro on hand and would be interested in soaking frozen Mysis or flakes/pellets in prazi.

How much prazi-pro liquid for, say, a cube of Mysis? I have no concerns about adding prazi to the display, but I wouldn't want to hurt the fish with too much, since all fishes are otherwise perfectly healthy.

Any ideas?

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry if its been posted but do you soak food in prazipro and focus or when suggesting prazipro, is the basic QT treatment in the water the standard?

cdj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize this forum is quite old, but it had very helpful information for me today. One question I have is: what would the proper amount of Prazipro to use be when binding with Seachem Focus? I have been using Focus with Kanaplex but now I think I need to do it with Prazi. If someone knows this, I'd appreciate your input. Thank you.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi CDJ, and welcome to Reef2Reef!

I've never used Prazi-Pro with Focus ... kind of suspect that the Oxybispropanol it contains might make it unpalatable. If you can get "General Cure", by API, I find that works well. It's made up of Praziquantel (the active ingredient in Prazi-Pro) and Metronidazole (active ingredient in Metroplex). One "Seachem" measure of General Cure, one of Focus to about a tablespoon of food, should get you where you need to be.

~Bruce

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi CDJ, and welcome to Reef2Reef!

I've never used Prazi-Pro with Focus ... kind of suspect that the Oxybispropanol it contains might make it unpalatable. If you can get "General Cure", by API, I find that works well. It's made up of Praziquantel (the active ingredient in Prazi-Pro) and Metronidazole (active ingredient in Metroplex). One "Seachem" measure of General Cure, one of Focus to about a tablespoon of food, should get you where you need to be.

~Bruce

^^^THIS!!!

I make the mistake of of using Focus and Metro only with food to treat white stringy poop and it came back after a several weeks later and killed my jawfish. I believe the jaw had intestinal worms and not parasites and the Focus does not rid intestinal worms.

I now use General Cure with Focus per the experts on this site and have had no issues. GC with Focus and food kills both intestinal parasites and intestinal worms

Art2249

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading this thread I'm still a little confused. To treat white stringy poop I use API General Cure and Focus? Using 1 scoop focus, 1 scoop GQ to 1 tablespoon frozen food? Can I feed this only once per day and still feed regular food the other 2 times? There are anthias in the tank that need 3 feedings. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably as long as each fish is eating the medicated serving daily. I'm not sure what benefit you would get only feeding medicated food once per day during the treatment period???

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading this thread I'm still a little confused. To treat white stringy poop I use API General Cure and Focus? Using 1 scoop focus, 1 scoop GQ to 1 tablespoon frozen food? Can I feed this only once per day and still feed regular food the other 2 times? There are anthias in the tank that need 3 feedings. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Yes, you will want to feed it once per day, not more than twice.

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I have a 10” Sohal today that started showing signs of HEad and later line or hole in head about a month ago. No stray voltage or carbon in use. Fish was in 6’ 180 tank. Under advice here we bought a new tank and upgraded to 300gal 8’ within 2 weeks of the advice. 4fordfamily suggested I use General cure and focus in the food but which I would like to do but I have 13 large large fish in this 300gal tank with the Sohal. How do I get the meds just to Sohal or move Sohal to 40gal quarantine (no right, would make it worse)? I feed mix of brine/Spirulina and mysis frozen and krill, and rods reef, and large pellets and nori! The Sohal eats everything. The variety is for the different size fish in this tank and we alternate some of the foods. We have been giving garlic and vitamins also. Do I mix with all the foods since Sohal eats a little of everything and do more since all the fish share??
I did see white stringy poop a few times but have no idea which fish it came from. Here’s a picture of Sohal who is getting worse even after tank upgrade and a picture of all 13 fish just before feeding time this am. Plus have a jewel eel in tank.
Thank you for any help.
Kindel

C76E66CB-72DF-4107-8A32-79BA37BA6907.jpeg

B3761C57-F4A1-4EFE-8607-F0E657F544B5.jpeg

5C5EB04E-96A3-457B-92E1-6AF4438AA015.jpeg

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given that the fish will mouth/taste/consume one another's poop, it's generally best to treat all of them for internal parasites at the same time.

~Bruce

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given that the fish will mouth/taste/consume one another's poop, it's generally best to treat all of them for internal parasites at the same time.

~Bruce
Ok thank you for your reply. Can I mix in all the food, they eat such a variety due to all the different sizes in the tank? I will order the general cure and focus and mix with the food for 14 days.
Thank you

Back