Internal Issues

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll break of a chunk of Rod's or LRS, add a cube of whatever I'm feeding this evening, and drip some Selcon onto them. Sprinkle a bit of General Cure and a scoop of Focus over them, and allow them to thaw. When they're just about thawed, I'll add a pinch of pellets (NLS, Ocean Nutrition, mostly) and stir up the resulting mess. I like to wait 15 minutes or half an hour, then add small dollops of food to the tank - enough that the fish will eat almost all of it before it settles to the bottom. I'll continue to feed that way over the next couple of hours - usually 3-6 "courses". For the last, I'll add some RO/DI to the cup, swirl it around, and empty it into the tank.

~Bruce

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C
I'll break of a chunk of Rod's or LRS, add a cube of whatever I'm feeding this evening, and drip some Selcon onto them. Sprinkle a bit of General Cure and a scoop of Focus over them, and allow them to thaw. When they're just about thawed, I'll add a pinch of pellets (NLS, Ocean Nutrition, mostly) and stir up the resulting mess. I like to wait 15 minutes or half an hour, then add small dollops of food to the tank - enough that the fish will eat almost all of it before it settles to the bottom. I'll continue to feed that way over the next couple of hours - usually 3-6 "courses". For the last, I'll add some RO/DI to the cup, swirl it around, and empty it into the tank.

~Bruce

Thank you for your reply. Can I add it to Krill? Some of my fish especially the one that needs it most only eat krill and nori.
Thank you

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of the fish

BFF766B1-EFEB-4443-B7C8-5331C8E1A5DC.jpeg

C63C3255-E7FF-4117-9C5A-0D9EF7A637F0.jpeg

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add krill or whatever frozen mix you prefer. I use at least a dozen different types so there is a little something for everyone!

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The general cure will mix with the krill?
Thank you. Does this look like hole in head?
It’s getting worse.
Yes it will mix. Add selcon, zoecon, garlic, or just a few drops of RO water. Something to help dissolve the meds.

Yes it looks like HLLE or hole in the head.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1

You can add General Cure / Focus to just about anything moist enough for it to stick to. I've even sprinkled it over a clam on the half-shell for my regal angel.

Beautiful sohal! Selcon and/or Zoecon should help with the HLLE.

~Bruce

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1

You can add General Cure / Focus to just about anything moist enough for it to stick to. I've even sprinkled it over a clam on the half-shell for my regal angel.

Beautiful sohal! Selcon and/or Zoecon should help with the HLLE.

~Bruce
Thank you very much! We just moved it into an 8’ 300gal tank. Hoping that would help too. None of the other 13 large fish have any signs but we’ll treat them. Thank you guys for your help!! Appreciate it!
Kindel

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before using fenbendazole, I would try food soaking prazi + metro (API General Cure contains both) first. Be sure to use Seachem Focus to bind the medications to food, and protect your corals/inverts.

Can you explain how/why Focus is used as a binder? So if I just soak in general cure and dump the food in, I might harm my corals? Even in a big tank?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sprinkle one "Seachem measure" (the spoon that comes with Focus) of Focus, and one of General Cure over about a tablespoon of food. Works a charm in my display - meds get to the fish, corals keep ticking along. I don't know the details of how it works, chemically / molecularly ... but it does.

~Bruce

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is “metro” another name for magnesium sulphate? That’s what the NLS lists as the active ingredient in hex shield.
Metro is short for Metroplex, which is metronidazole.

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you will want to feed it once per day, not more than twice.

Just want to suggest putting this info in the first post on the this thread - I am QTing fish now and hadn’t known this! Since my wrasse has white stringy poop and doesn’t eat much right now I think I will feed the medicated food 2x a day in the hopes she gets some.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to suggest putting this info in the first post on the this thread - I am QTing fish now and hadn’t known this! Since my wrasse has white stringy poop and doesn’t eat much right now I think I will feed the medicated food 2x a day in the hopes she gets some.
Done! ;) I also added the mixing instructions.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have, on occasion, seen one of my clowns or one of my PJcards swimming around with a long poo trailing/stuck to them.
The clown seems fine and is gaining weight. Two of the three PJcards have grown noticably, but Mr. Pooper really has not. He's the same size as when I got him and is on the skinny side, but I wouldn't go so far as to say emaciated.

I've probably only noticed this three times over the course of as many months. Am I being paranoid? Is there a downside to treating with general cure and selcon?

It's my first tank, first saltwater fish. I'd say the poo is on the white side and is certainly stringy, but it's not bright white.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have, on occasion, seen one of my clowns or one of my PJcards swimming around with a long poo trailing/stuck to them.
The clown seems fine and is gaining weight. Two of the three PJcards have grown noticably, but Mr. Pooper really has not. He's the same size as when I got him and is on the skinny side, but I wouldn't go so far as to say emaciated.

I've probably only noticed this three times over the course of as many months. Am I being paranoid? Is there a downside to treating with general cure and selcon?

It's my first tank, first saltwater fish. I'd say the poo is on the white side and is certainly stringy, but it's not bright white.

Here are examples of the white stringy poop associated with internal parasites:
7ac004fe2577bc1b53969d63ae35456a.jpg
5099fad7cbfa9facb3f531a34e3bf9de.jpg

From the sounds of it, Mr. Pooper likely does have them. GC + focus (binds the medicine to the food) soaked food is generally safe to feed in your display. Just turn down the flow, feed small amounts at a time to reduce “extras” floating around the tank, and throw some carbon in a high-flow area of your tank just in case.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ty,
Meds will be here sunday. focus, GC, and got some selcon as well. probly should have had that anyhow. I'll refresh my carbon before dosing.
I hear people talk about garlic to use as the proverbial "spoonful of sugar." Does it have to be the pet-store garlic, or can I just drop in a few granules of minced garlic, or some of the juice from a jar of minced garlic?

Also, his name really isn't Mr. Pooper.. well, it might be now :)

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally don’t add garlic to mine either, should be fine.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 81 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back